• The KillerFrogs

OT: your go to bar at TCU and why

SuperBarrFrog

Peacefrog said:
You could get cheap, strong margaritas and free quesadillas at Ninfa's during Thursday happy hour. I went there a lot. It was basically free dinner which was good for a poor guy like me.
We always got free quesadillas at Blue Mesa for happy hour. We'd order one beer then crush the quesadilla bar; always brought a few bucks to tip the cook though.

Tom Brown

SuperBarrFrog said:
We sways got free quesadillas at Blue Mesa for happy hour. We'd order one beer then crush the quesadilla bar; always brought a few bucks to tip the cook though.
I get horrible indigestion from Blue Mesa

Ron Swanson

What was the name of the bar downtown near the old Pourhouse? It was on the 2nd floor I think and had wooden steps to get up there?

Jack's Pub maybe?

JugbandFrog

Has anyone mentioned the Poop Deck. Always loved their comfortable chairs. Half the reason I go to Gentlemen's Clubs is that they often have the most comfortable seats of any bar.

Does anyone remember the Penalty Box off 35? Ordered 100 wings on .25 wing day and they had recliners to watch the games.

SuperBarrFrog

Ron Swanson said:
What was the name of the bar downtown near the old Pourhouse? It was on the 2nd floor I think and had wooden steps to get up there?

Jack's Pub maybe?
I think jack's pub was down across from the library in that weird plaza that had basement level storefronts. Trying to think of other upstairs bars.

For a minute, there was a bar called aqua lounge across the parking lot from pour house. That was several years after college though. Maybe it was something before that?

Ron Swanson

SuperBarrFrog said:
I think jack's pub was down across from the library in that weird plaza that had basement level storefronts. Trying to think of other upstairs bars.

For a minute, there was a bar called aqua lounge across the parking lot from pour house. That was several years after college though. Maybe it was something before that?
Yeah I think it was Jack's Pub... near the Library sounds right. I was blacked out pretty much every time I was downtown in college, so my recollection of the location and details isn't perfect.

Anyway, I was there with some friends my junior or senior year (probably 2003?) and I brought out a date... a cute Chi-O I actually liked and had been talking to for a couple weeks.

After we'd been there for a bit, I could feel my stomach starting to do things and knew some serious diarrhea was in the works, so I went and checked out the bathroom situation to make sure I'd be ok when the inevitable happened. There was a sliding lock on the door to the bathroom, and the bathroom had a urinal and a commode with no stall. Not ideal by any means, but I could make it work.

So 30 minutes go by and the diarrhea hits. I go into the bathroom to take care of it, and in that 30 minutes, the lock had been broken off the door... you got be darning kidding me. The bar is crowded, so while I'm sitting there just destroying toilet, dudes are walking in 1 after another. There was two general reactions...

1. "OH MAN, WHAT THE "DARN"?!?!?", and then they'd turn around and walk out

2. "Aw man that sucks dude", and then they'd pee next to me at the urinal while I sat there in shame.

Somehow I think I got away with it as far as my date went, but it was super-embarrassing.

Dogfrog

Ron Swanson said:
Yeah I think it was Jack's Pub... near the Library sounds right. I was blacked out pretty much every time I was downtown in college, so my recollection of the location and details isn't perfect.

Anyway, I was there with some friends my junior or senior year (probably 2003?) and I brought out a date... a cute Chi-O I actually liked and had been talking to for a couple weeks.

After we'd been there for a bit, I could feel my stomach starting to do things and knew some serious diarrhea was in the works, so I went and checked out the bathroom situation to make sure I'd be ok when the inevitable happened. There was a sliding lock on the door to the bathroom, and the bathroom had a urinal and a commode with no stall. Not ideal by any means, but I could make it work.

So 30 minutes go by and the diarrhea hits. I go into the bathroom to take care of it, and in that 30 minutes, the lock had been broken off the door... you got be darning kidding me. The bar is crowded, so while I'm sitting there just destroying toilet, dudes are walking in 1 after another. There was two general reactions...

2. "Aw man that sucks dude", and then they'd pee next to me at the urinal

Somehow I think I got away with it as far as my date went, but it was super-embarrassing.
LOL, always wonder what guys are thinking when they walk in a boater, take a breath and say "what the hell". What the hell do you expect in a boater, lilacs in spring?

SuperBarrFrog

Ron Swanson said:

2. "Aw man that sucks dude", and then they'd pee next to me at the urinal while I sat there in shame.

That is an epic tale. We may need to start a separate thread for best boat stories. I can surely contribute a few.

RufeBruton

Memorable night: in 1971 or early '72 when "Pong" came to the Pioneer Club. It sucked in more quarters than the Shuffleboard Table and pool table combined.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Oh, the 'Dig-Dug' machine at the Yellow Rose. That was always in use over there. I remember the old arcade in the back of the Pub before it was torn out and the pool table took over.

Ron Swanson said:

I once took a piss next to a guy painting the sides of the toilet at a bar downtown. Guess we've met.

Tom Brown

SuperBarrFrog said:

I djed at aqua lounge

Frog-in-law1995

Tom Brown said:
I djed at aqua lounge
I drank a lot of Goldschläger at Aqua Lounge. Also at 614 (the comedy club that turned into a club after the last show) and at that huge sports bar inside the Embassy Suites hotel. Lady named Peaches dealt the no-cash blackjack game there and would deal our poker games for a nice tip if nobody else was there. I think that's where I met Velton, bartender who has worked every bar in FW it seems like. Made a mean White Russian, which was all the rage at the time, Dude.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
There was a bar called Mabels that was just north of Harris Hospital.  They had PacMan AND Ms Pacman, and would cash our Harris paychecks.  Oh yeah, and cold beer.

SuperBarrFrog

Frog-in-law1995 said:
I drank a lot of Goldschläger at Aqua Lounge. Also at 614 (the comedy club that turned into a club after the last show) and at that huge sports bar inside the Embassy Suites hotel. Lady named Peaches dealt the no-cash blackjack game there and would deal our poker games for a nice tip if nobody else was there. I think that's where I met Velton, bartender who has worked every bar in FW it seems like. Made a mean White Russian, which was all the rage at the time, Dude.
I knew Velton. Worked at Malone's when I knew him well. A great photographer and a perfectly bothered bartender. Great dude.

I worked Dtown at 4 Day Weekend for for 8 years. We basically knew every bartender dtown. May or may not have opened up the bar a few times after hours for friends and ladies we met.