• The KillerFrogs

OT: your go to bar at TCU and why

G

Ghost of Tobys Business College

Tom Brown said:
Satis and I were on at 11pm-2 am m-th from 96-98

I also covered tcu basketball for KTCU under Richard Durrett RIP.
I used to do late nights and overnights '94-'97. Then had some shows after I graduated until I got banned around 2001. We were not overly fond of rules... like the time we did a live on-air "remix" of Gustav Holst's "Mars" from The Planets using the stations turntables.

Tom Brown

Ghost of Toby's Business College said:
I used to do late nights and overnights '94-'97. Then had some shows after I graduated until I got banned around 2001. We were not overly fond of rules... like the time we did a live on-air "remix" of Gustav Holst's "Mars" from The Planets using the stations turntables.
I have one of those station turntables.
Yes, we were chastised by Brennan for taking liberties.

G

Ghost of Tobys Business College

Ron Swanson said:
Sounds pretty wild
Considering how roughly we were treating the turntable by scratching... yeah, it kind of was. 

Ray Finkle

Ron Swanson said:
Were those the two lesbian-looking TABC (w)itches?

Thy nailed me trying to get into a bar with a fake ID back in like 2001.

Yes, one of those was Theresa.  I remember we had a party at our fraternity party house off Merida and TABC was camped outside.  A fraternity brother was voicing his dislike for Theresa over the fence and calling her very bad names.  Probably not wise to do this, come to think of it.  He's an attorney now.

"Officer Gonzo" (Gonzalez) made it his life mission to make Kell Street dry.  He was notorious for trying to ruin a good frat party.  We had a pre-party before a theme party at a house off campus in Officer Gonzo's district and he and about 6 other cops blocked all the exits and gave everyone (50+ people) MIPs, even if they didn't have a beer in their hand.  I had a bunch of fraternity brothers fight it and some got off due to officer no-shows in court while another had a cop show-up and testify that he saw "John Doe" with a beer.  The cop couldn't pick "John Doe" out of a line-up of 5 people, I'd bet my farm on it.  Really ticked a lot of us off.

texas_sicilian

I lived downtown for a decade between 2000 and 2010. Was the most fun...

Red Goose had just opened and was really vibrant back then (used to do after parties back at my loft),

Sol e Luna (now Thompson's) was started by a buddy of mine, and was at least great at the beginning. We got to know lots of bartenders that moved back and forth from the Goose.

Randall's Cheesecake Factory was still across the street. Best deserts and killer entrees. Ciao was a pretty good Italian spot across from the Bass Hall (same owner as Piola).

The Red Parrot at Cabo was deadly. Seven different kinds of rum. Loved the Caribbean bar set up (still feel like there's a potential market for a Tiki bar in funkytown).

I could open my window and watch the bands across the parking lot at the original Pour House. Started liking Sushi at Mikado downstairs when I wanted something different.

We'd close out many nights at the Brick House (part of that rundown hotel across from the convention center).

My wife used to work at 8.0's and the Pour House before we started dating... hated when we'd show up because we always tied her up with orders and big groups.

Good times.

SuperBarrFrog

texas_sicilian said:
I lived downtown for a decade between 2000 and 2010. Was the most fun...

Red Goose had just opened and was really vibrant back then (used to do after parties back at my loft),

Sol e Luna (now Thompson's) was started by a buddy of mine, and was at least great at the beginning. We got to know lots of bartenders that moved back and forth from the Goose.

Randall's Cheesecake Factory was still across the street. Best deserts and killer entrees. Ciao was a pretty good Italian spot across from the Bass Hall (same owner as Piola).

The Red Parrot at Cabo was deadly. Seven different kinds of rum. Loved the Caribbean bar set up (still feel like there's a potential market for a Tiki bar in funkytown).

I could open my window and watch the bands across the parking lot at the original Pour House. Started liking Sushi at Mikado downstairs when I wanted something different.

We'd close out many nights at the Brick House (part of that rundown hotel across from the convention center).

My wife used to work at 8.0's and the Pour House before we started dating... hated when we'd show up because we always tied her up with orders and big groups.

Good times.

I went to all those places too. I'm sure we likely crossed paths plenty of times.

BABYFACE

I liked Mikado Sushi and the Pour House at the original location. My wife had my 40th BDay party there at the Pour House in the party room.

We have XO Enerygy to thank for not renewing the leases for those two businesses.