• The KillerFrogs

OT: your go to bar at TCU and why

swimmerbabe11

Get Your Frogs Up said:

Yep.  Hell, and just by way of example, the asshat that sold Fat Harry's got a pretty good penny and Texadelphia bought it to convert it to something completely different.
I know funny stories about this.

But anywho, these are the things I have heard from people who are close to the situation. I don't think the Pub is gonna be there after Dave retires.

Get Your Frogs Up

swimmerbabe11 said:
I know funny stories about this.

But anywho, these are the things I have heard from people who are close to the situation. I don't think the Pub is gonna be there after Dave retires.
No dispute from me that neither Bennett or Kelsey will choose to keep it going.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Land Frog said:
Pretty much lived in the Stockyards '91 through '94. PR's, Longhorn Saloon, Cadillac. Billy Bob's on Thursday night. I think Wednesdays off Bryant Irvin next to Lone Star (Horsemans).
Didn't PR's have an Any Coin, Any Drink night back then?

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Deep Purple said:

Depending on your age you may not remember it....
Am I sounding like an old man?  I think I'm sounding like an old man.
Old Man litmus test - does the term Chilled-Water Loop System mean anything to you?

Frog-in-law1995

Land Frog said:
IIRC you DJ'd at Longhorn.
Yeah, but that really didn't start until maybe 1995 or so. After Mike Huggins bought the place. But I was at BB's just about every Thursday from about 92-94. PR's a lot too back then.

Tom Brown

Didn't drink much in college so
1. Abernathy's/Ale House
2. Cellar (drinking kinda meh, but good memories performing)
Post-graduate TCU employ and proximity
3. Flying Saucer
4. Gingerman
5. Pour House

BABYFACE

I miss the original location of the Saucer. Hard to top that vibe. The 8.0 location is much larger and better for watching a band but still not quite the same.

My Buddy Steve

BABYFACE said:
I miss the original location of the Saucer. Hard to top that vibe. The 8.0 location is much larger and better for watching a band but still not quite the same.
Ole 8.0s..... Where to start, first I never felt comfortable with the towel guy in the bathroom, always made me feel like I had tip him for a napkin. Second, there were apparently 8.0 members cards, in which if you possessed one you never had to wait in line or pay cover. Whether if that's true , somebody tell me cause I never could find one.

The gold standard in downtown drinking was always PourHouse. I actually saw Charles Barkley there one night. Good drink specials and always loaded with bachelorette parties starting or finishing a solid night. Why they moved is beyond me , maybe someone knows.

There could be an argument for Petes Piano bar but it was always expensive.

TCU bar related, it really is a tie between the Pub , Cellar, and the Oui, and that then really depends on your social affiliation.

Saw a JJs Hideaway mention, that was an awesome bar and institution, sad it left us. Although I think Michaels Ancho Chile Bar had a good Thursday night deal.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
You could get cheap, strong margaritas and free quesadillas at Ninfa's during Thursday happy hour. I went there a lot. It was basically free dinner which was good for a poor guy like me.

Tom Brown

Peacefrog said:
You could get cheap, strong margaritas and free quesadillas at Ninfa's during Thursday happy hour. I went there a lot. It was basically free dinner which was good for a poor guy like me.
I miss ninfas. I liked it much better than ihop, or panera, or any other crap place over there now.