• The KillerFrogs

OT: your go to bar at TCU and why

DixieFrog

Ticket Exchange Pass
The Pub - hardcore ID check, great times senior year. Got back together with my girlfriend (now wife) at the bar over the loud objection of her best friend. We all still hang out.

The Hop - Great concerts. Leroy Shakespeare & The Ship of Vibes used to kill it.

Perotti's: The outside patio was sublime pre-party spot from 1990-1992. $3 pitchers and all of the bread sticks you could eat. Held the record for the all time high score on Galaga until I left Ft. Worth.

The Hi-Hat: Epic shuffleboard games that usually ended with someone sliding down the table.

Billy Miner's: Sunday NFL with the electronic trivia game. Watched the Cowboys win two Championships at Billy Miner's.

PR's nickel beers. I think I still have the [ Finebaum ]s from those nights.

Waterstreet: 1/2 priced peel-n-eat shrimp and cold miller lite.

Poop Deck: Learned to drink liquor here.

Razoo's: Nice spot back in early 90's to get NOLA drinks. A toga party broke our for my now Mother-In-Law's 40th birthday. She is now 68 and we are going back for a drink during HC weekend.

Hoffbrau & Risky's: Always good for a cold schooner. It's a bummer Hoffbrau stopped serving cold beer in schooners.

Last edited:
Memories from the past.....Celebratory imbibing at the Hi-Hat Lounge the night before the 1956 Cotton Bowl.

Vaguely remember driving to my fraternity's party at the Loring Hotel. Led cheers while standing on top of a

table. Next day, with help, managed to attire myself in the Addy costume and help lead cheers at the TCU-Ole

Miss Cotton Bowl Game. All a vague memory......

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Mrs. Brewingfrog and I stopped into The Pub for a beer for the first time in a while. The new owner was a hoot, and we got on well while pouring beers down our necks. My lovely wife was surprised to learn that is was non-smoking now, and remarked that "enough cigarette smoke has soaked into the walls that no amount of cleaning will ever get the reek out." Sure enough, after we left, we sniffed at our shirts. "Still smells like we rolled around in an ashtray!"

FrogCop19

The Pub. Spent many nights there my junior and senior years before stumbling home to the on campus apartments. Favorite memory was open to close with several of my closest friends. Our pictures from that night are still on the wall, and Dave still knows all of us by name. He really is the ultimate bar owner. His memory is unreal. None of the other campus bars really appealed to me, but the James Special at The Cellar would get you drunk in a hurry if that was your goal.
To walk back a quote here, I also loved Dave. I worked as a police officer at TCU from 1998-2005, and I used to watch him do the funniest thing. I used to frequent the parking lot around 3 or so because I knew Dave would be leaving the bar around that time. Wanted to make sure he was safe (not that anyone would have jacked with him; that was a large man). He would lock the back door, go to his truck, let the engine run for about 5 minutes, get out to go back and check the lock again, then he would leave.

And without fail, EVERY SINGLE NIGHT, he would return around 5 a.m. or so just to make sure that he had locked the door. He lived 30-45 minutes away, and he would go home, go to sleep, wake up, and have a panic attack that he hadn't locked the door. So he would get up, drive the long distance back just to check. I gave him my phone number so he could just call me and I would go check, but he claimed it was OCD, and only HIM checking would make him feel better.

So it's funny that you would say his memory was unreal. I agree, but it's hysterical that failing to remember something as mundane and routine as locking the back door to your place of business could cause such a disruption in your life.

But he was an awesome dude.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
To walk back a quote here, I also loved Dave. I worked as a police officer at TCU from 1998-2005, and I used to watch him do the funniest thing. I used to frequent the parking lot around 3 or so because I knew Dave would be leaving the bar around that time. Wanted to make sure he was safe (not that anyone would have jacked with him; that was a large man). He would lock the back door, go to his truck, let the engine run for about 5 minutes, get out to go back and check the lock again, then he would leave.

And without fail, EVERY SINGLE NIGHT, he would return around 5 a.m. or so just to make sure that he had locked the door. He lived 30-45 minutes away, and he would go home, go to sleep, wake up, and have a panic attack that he hadn't locked the door. So he would get up, drive the long distance back just to check. I gave him my phone number so he could just call me and I would go check, but he claimed it was OCD, and only HIM checking would make him feel better.

So it's funny that you would say his memory was unreal. I agree, but it's hysterical that failing to remember something as mundane and routine as locking the back door to your place of business could cause such a disruption in your life.

Typically that’s not a memory issue it’s an OCD like behavior. For example, if I don’t pay extremely close attention when doing something important like locking my front door, closing the garage, locking car doors, I can not let it go and have to doublecheck. Drives my wife crazy and is hard to understand if that sort of thing doesn’t affect you.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.

My dad is like that about locking doors, absolutely insane. But, he is also extremely cheap, so the thought of using up gas for that long of a drive just to check the door would override the OCD.

frogs9497

The Pub - hardcore ID check, great times senior year. Got back together with my girlfriend (now wife) at the bar over the loud objection of her best friend. We all still hang out.

The Hop - Great concerts. Leroy Shakespeare & The Ship of Vibes used to kill it.

Perotti's: The outside patio was sublime pre-party spot from 1990-1992. $3 pitchers and all of the bread sticks you could eat. Held the record for the all time high score on Galaga until I left Ft. Worth.

The Hi-Hat: Epic shuffleboard games that usually ended with someone sliding down the table.

Billy Miner's: Sunday NFL with the electronic trivia game. Watched the Cowboys win two Championships at Billy Miner's.

PR's nickel beers. I think I still have the [ steaming pile of Orgeron ]s from those nights.

Waterstreet: 1/2 priced peel-n-eat shrimp and cold miller lite.

Poop Deck: Learned to drink liquor here.

It’s a shame you didn’t get out more.

Shorty

I can confirm this is true.

Bob Sugar

The Pour has has to be the only bar in America so bad that not only was it shut down twice in different locations, but it's landlords' tore both buildings down to erase all evidence it ever existed.

HFrog1999

I'm still boycotting The Pub for falsely accusing me of using a fake ID back in 1998.

I loved the old Flying Saucer, I haven't been to it since they took over 8.0's old space.

4 Oaks Frog

We went to the Cellar downtown. It was actually up stairs. No liquor by the drink back then. Lots of girls, amateur strip night and amazing music. Later years, when non-private bars were allowed, we went to the Library across University. It is now fan store, Flash I believe.
Later in adult life I always enjoyed The Moon Bar, next to Fuzzy’s on Berry. TCU guy, Chris Maunder, owned it. Great rock in roll from bands like Oliver Future and Pudge Zeppelin. Think it’s a pizza joint now...
GO FROGS!
BEAT Texas lite!
Spit Blood~~<~<and [Baylor asshoe]!!

HFrog1999

Probably safe to assume the Pub won’t make that mistake if you were to go back now.

tumblr_lyvvx7zRnD1qg39ewo1_500.gif

froginmn

I didn't hang out in bars much, but junior or senior year one of my best friends had a test the next day but his girlfriend wanted to go to the pub. She asked if I'd go, and I was game.

We got there and I was watching the pool table (I played a LOT of pool back then). She asked if I wanted to play, and I told her no, I was there with her.

She said, no, play, it'll be fun to watch. So I put down quarters and won the table when I played. I played a bunch more games and kept the table.

Then a BIG football player comes up and drops quarters (I think he was a D Lineman). I make the first 3 or 4 shots in a row, and he leans across the table and says "you ain't gonna embarrass me now, are ya?"

What do you know, I missed the next shot and a couple more. He wins but hands me the cue ball, saying, I know what you did. I literally kept the table until the place closed that night. And refrained from crapping my pants when he asked me that question.

GeoFrog

I guess I never caught this original thread. I'm glad someone revived it. It brought back a lot of memories. I always seemed to be working and didn't frequent the bars as much, but the Pub was number one, when I could get there. I didn't meet my wife there, but the Pub is where we decided to start dating our senior year after knowing each other all 4-years. She may tell a different side to this story, but...

It was a Thursday and a week after Valentine's Day and there was a group of us hanging out at the Pub. She was there with a couple of friends also. She comes-up to say hi to me, and we chat like we had done for 4 years. I never pushed it any further than chatting because she always had a boyfriend. So she says bye and walks off. I don't think anything of it. Then my friend and his girlfriend look at me and say, "Dude, what is wrong with you? She was totally hitting on you." I then realized how clueless I was and went looking for her, but she had already left.
The next day, I am working downtown. Some of my buddies, who also worked downtown, decided we were going to meet-up at the Pour House for Happy Hour. I decide if I call her and ask her to meet up there with some friends, I might have a chance to redeem myself. So I call her and during the conversation, I ask her point blank, "Were you hitting on me last night?" Crickets for like 5 minutes. Then she replies..."Maybe?" And so it started...

Frog-in-law1995

I guess I never caught this original thread. I'm glad someone revived it. It brought back a lot of memories. I always seemed to be working and didn't frequent the bars as much, but the Pub was number one, when I could get there. I didn't meet my wife there, but the Pub is where we decided to start dating our senior year after knowing each other all 4-years. She may tell a different side to this story, but...

It was a Thursday and a week after Valentine's Day and there was a group of us hanging out at the Pub. She was there with a couple of friends also. She comes-up to say hi to me, and we chat like we had done for 4 years. I never pushed it any further than chatting because she always had a boyfriend. So she says bye and walks off. I don't think anything of it. Then my friend and his girlfriend look at me and say, "Dude, what is wrong with you? She was totally hitting on you." I then realized how clueless I was and went looking for her, but she had already left.
The next day, I am working downtown. Some of my buddies, who also worked downtown, decided we were going to meet-up at the Pour House for Happy Hour. I decide if I call her and ask her to meet up there with some friends, I might have a chance to redeem myself. So I call her and during the conversation, I ask her point blank, "Were you hitting on me last night?" Crickets for like 5 minutes. Then she replies..."Maybe?" And so it started...

What I was expecting:

Crickets for like 5 minutes. Then she replies...”who is this?”