• The KillerFrogs

OT: your go to bar at TCU and why

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Include the following:

1. The Pub, Oui or other
2. Greatest moment at favorite bar
3. Bob or Dave (NA if not a Pub regular)
4. Best sports moment at said bar

I will start

The Pub
A female patron called me an a-hole for not giving her a free shot the day after her birthday. I married her 5 years later.
Bob - he paid me to hang out in a bar
1996 olympics - entire bar broke out in USA chant when we beat Russia in men's 4x100 freestyle relay.

IMO - The Pub is the ultimate TCU bar. It has lost its mojo lately. Would enjoy hearing your stories.

It's the off season. Baylor is dead. What else are we going to discuss - burgers and BBQ?

Also, for those of you that were at TCU in mid 90's when I was this may give away my identity. I apologize.

Deep Purple

Prediction: There are going to be several dozen posts in this thread weighing in of the ultimate "TCU bar" based on their student experience in their day.  The Pub.  The Oui.  The Cellar.  The Carousel.  The Aardark.  Heck, may even go all the way back to Spencer's Corner.

They're all valid.  The true "TCU bar" changes with different generations and the different comings and goings of the neighborhood  bars.  There is no one "TCU bar."  Not for all time, anyway.

From current observation, I can tell you that there is no authentic "TCU bar" these days.  With TCU's enrollment larger than it has ever been -- and students from all 50 states and several dozen other countries clamoring to get into TCU (applications way exceeded 19,000 again this year) -- the students are today dispersing to more than half-a-dozen different bars.

Yes, they include the Pub and the Aardvark.  But they also include Los Vaqueros, the Science Lab (not sure if it's still open), and 4 or 5 bars along 7th Street.  Not to mention Sundance Square.

It's not your father's TCU -- possibly not even your TCU.  The dramatic changes that have occurred in just the 22 years I've been there have been breathtaking.  And the changes have been accelerating, especially in the last 12-15 years.  It's a much newer and larger TCU world.  A single neighborhood bar or two no longer suffice.  TCU students are all over the place.  Much like TCU itself -- breaking beyond old familiar neighborhood haunts.  It's both sad and inspiring at the same time.  Things will never be the same again.

So enjoy all these nostalgic posts about those old familiar watering holes.  They're worth remembering.  But memories is what they are.

Ron Swanson

Deep Purple said:
Prediction: There are going to be several dozen posts in this thread weighing in of the ultimate "TCU bar" based on their student experience in their day.  The Pub.  The Oui.  The Cellar.  The Carousel.  The Aardark.  Heck, may even go all the way back to Spencer's Corner.

They're all valid.  The true "TCU bar" changes with different generations and the different comings and goings of the neighborhood  bars.  There is no one "TCU bar."  Not for all time, anyway.

From current observation, I can tell you that there is no authentic "TCU bar" these days.  With TCU's enrollment larger than it has ever been -- and students from all 50 states and several dozen other countries clamoring to get into TCU (applications way exceeded 19,000 again this year) -- the students are today dispersing to more than half-a-dozen different bars.

Yes, they include the Pub and the Aardvark.  But they also include Los Vaqueros, the Science Lab (not sure if it's still open), and 4 or 5 bars along 7th Street.  Not to mention Sundance Square.

It's not your father's TCU -- possibly not even your TCU.  The dramatic changes that have occurred in just the 22 years I've been there have been breathtaking.  And the changes have been accelerating, especially in the last 12-15 years.  It's a much newer and larger TCU world.  A single neighborhood bar or two no longer suffice.  TCU students are all over the place.  Much like TCU itself -- breaking beyond old familiar neighborhood haunts.  It's both sad and inspiring at the same time.  Things will never be the same again.

So enjoy all these nostalgic posts about those old familiar watering holes.  They're worth remembering.  But memories is what they are.
Thread kiler

monkeyfishfrog

Pub. Also met my wife there the old fashioned way, getting plastered and using pickup lines. Sort of like match.com. Also open-to-closed the pub one time. Spent thousands I'm sure. Dave!!

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
UnderToad said:
Rangoon Racquet Club, Camp Bowie Country Club, Blossoms, Oui, Friendly Club, JJ's Blues Bar, Wildcatters, The Speakeasy.

I had forgotten about the old Rangood Racquet Club.  What a great place that was. So were all of the other bars you mentioned.

Now days its The Usual on Magnolia St or Brewsters

ftwfrog

1- The Pub
2- Greatest moment, I met my wife at the pub so I'm still trying to think of my favorite moment.
3- Dave. I don't know how that dude does it. 4pm-6pm and then from about 10pm-3am. every night. Going on 20 years?
4- Greatest Sports moment- I never recall ever going to the pub to watch sports but I do remember when Pudge Rodriguez was on his way to winning a World Series with the Marlins. Dave would flip off the TV every time he came to bat. Called him an awful catcher and a traitor. I was a bit confused.

Frogs1983

Back in the day The  late, great Hi Hat Lounge, RIP.  :blink:
Also Spencer's Corner and Spencer's Palace with their Thursday night Wet T Shirt and Naughty Wet Nighty contests respectively, The Daily Double in 1849 Village, Rudy's off of Locke Street.
Oui Lounge of course.

HToady

Deep Purple said:

TCU students today, don't go to neighborhood bars because they use the "College Bar App"

And even if they do manage to wander into a bar, they don't talk to anyone (including their own group) because they are too busy tapping away on their phones.

To be fair, probably more than just TCU.....