• The KillerFrogs

OT: your go to bar at TCU and why

BABYFACE

Ghost of Toby's Business College said:
The woman that owned the P&W when it moved used to be married to the guy that currently owns Ye Olde Bull & Bush and the Royal Falcon
When they were married, they had a place called the Hackney Carriage in Arlington in a spot that is now part of the Jerry World parking lot.
I forget her name but I know who you are talking about. Cool lady.

Deep Purple

BrewingFrog said:
I'm guessing that wasn't Timbuk 3...

Naw, but I remember that band.  My buddy's band was the EP's -- abbreviation for Ex-Pengwins, because most of them had been members of a popular Fort Worth touring band during the mid to late 1970s called the Pengwuins.  Never became a big hit, but did tour North America and Europe.  Many times hungry and cadging free drinks.

During 1986-1997, they played the P&W 2-3 several times per month -- even after it moved downtown.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I liked them! There was another "regular" act that really wasn't very good at all, and I cannot remember their name. Eh...

The Timbuk 3 thing was funny. I mean, here's a hippy-dippy couple act with a boom-box for a drummer (which would inevitably get knocked over from time to time), and all of a sudden, they have a big hit! "Man! To think I spilled beer on them last Friday night..."

Of course, the really good act was Schwantz Lefantz. That was a fabulous band. They played The HOP fairly often in '84-'86 and JJ's Icehouse as well.

Deep Purple

The woman that owned the P&W when it moved used to be married to the guy that currently owns Ye Olde Bull & Bush and the Royal Falcon
When they were married, they had a place called the Hackney Carriage in Arlington in a spot that is now part of the Jerry World parking lot.

Bull & Bush has been Deep Jr.'s watering hole of choice for the past 5-6 years.  He's developed a tight little circle of friends there, both men and women, including 2-3 of the bartenders.  A few of of them he knew from previous times because, during part of his time in law school, he waited tables at Blue Sushi Sake Grill.  (Sometimes waited on Gary and Kelsey Patterson.)

Sometimes when the pub closes, they lock the doors and spend an hour or two in a private whisky sampling.  All kinds of domestic and imported brands.  They all chip in to pay for the whisky.

G

Ghost of Tobys Business College

Deep Purple said:

Bull & Bush has been Deep Jr.'s watering hole of choice for the past 5-6 years.  He's developed a tight little circle of friends there, both men and women, including 2-3 of the bartenders.  A few of of them he knew from previous times because, during part of his time in law school, he waited tables at Blue Sushi Sake Grill.  (Sometimes waited on Gary and Kelsey Patterson.)

Sometimes when the pub closes, they lock the doors and spend an hour or two in a private whisky sampling.  All kinds of domestic and imported brands.  They all chip in to pay for the whisky.
Yep. I know Deep Jr. and some of the other Frogs. I actually worked at the B&B from 2000-2005 myself.

Speaking of the Pengwins, Do you know Dan Zimmer? He played with one of the P&W incarnations for awhile. He's an old friend and regular at the B&B as well.

Deep Purple

Yep. I know Deep Jr. and some of the other Frogs. I actually worked at the B&B from 2000-2005 myself.

Speaking of the Pengwins, Do you know Dan Zimmer? He played with one of the P&W incarnations for awhile. He's an old friend and regular at the B&B as well.

Yeah, I know Dan as an acquaintance.  Plays keyboard.  Great guy.  Haven't seen him in several years though.  Maybe I should stop by the B&B and renew the acquaintance?  The lead singer was Lanny Flowers.  He has one of the most fluid voices I've ever heard.  On one number he could sound like Mick Jagger, on another like Neil Diamond.

The friend who introduced me to that band was the drummer and manager, Danny Wilkerson, who has been a good friend for nearly 30 years.  Danny's son Josh plays guitar and does backup vocals in Green River Ordnance.  I've known that kid since he was a little guy.  He's a few years older than my son, and Deep Jr. used to tag around after him and some other older boys when they were all very young.  In fact, I've known most of the GRO guys since they were tykes, and I know most of their parents.  We're not close, but they are long-term casual friends through mutual circles.

One of Deep Jr.'s closest buddies from TCU days (class of 2010) is Tim Halperin, who used to periodically come over with a lot of the boys to go swimming.  They're still in touch regularly, though Tim is now off in Nashville or someplace.  He would sit down at my wife's ancient upright piano to play and sing for us.  On a couple of occasions, the boys fired up the spa and plunked in during mid-winter.  Mrs. Deep has pictures of them sitting in that steaming, bubbling water with their beer cans planted in 4 inches of snow covering the coping stones around the top of the spa.

The boys used that spa far more than we have.  I don't think I've been in it but twice (except for spring and summer cleaning) in the 11 years we've had it.  Not my thing, especially in winter.  I hate the cold.  Wrap up in a sweater and stick by the fireplace with a book and a toe-warming drink.  I guess the young know more about how to experience joie de vivre than guys my age.

frognutz

Illusions strip club off of Camp Bowie.  They had a $1 draft night and we'd drag semi-willing [hundinnen ] along for the ride and we always had a good time.

Not sure if it's still there, but the nastiest stretched marked hoes you ever seen danced there but was always a night to remember.

swimmerbabe11

Well, Dave doesn't own the building, so he can't really "sell it". Someone could take over his lease and keep it as is, but that's up to the landlord and whoever he leases it out to.

Flying T

Tier 1
berryfrog95 said:
1) Plaid Pig- hustling chicks/ hottest girls per capita of any bar in the country
There were a few nights, due to the Plaid Pig, that I realized that Jesus had indeed finally started answering some of my most longstanding and fervent prayers.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
swimmerbabe11 said:
Well, Dave doesn't own the building, so he can't really "sell it". Someone could take over his lease and keep it as is, but that's up to the landlord and whoever he leases it out to.
I have so many responses to this but I will just not spend the time. Bob sold it to Dave, so yes it can be sold.

berryfrog95

Flying T said:
There were a few nights, due to the Plaid Pig, that I realized that Jesus had indeed finally started answering some of my most longstanding and fervent prayers.
Hilarious.....sounds about right. After the Pig, we'd use our fake Nebraska DLs to grab a pitcher to close out the night!

TheSheik

Deep Purple said:
On a couple of occasions, the boys fired up the spa and plunked in during mid-winter.  Mrs. Deep has pictures of them sitting in that steaming, bubbling water with their beer cans planted in 4 inches of snow covering the coping stones around the top of the spa.

Get Your Frogs Up

Peacefrog said:
I have so many responses to this but I will just not spend the time. Bob sold it to Dave, so yes it can be sold.

Yep.  Hell, and just by way of example, the asshat that sold Fat Harry's got a pretty good penny and Texadelphia bought it to convert it to something completely different.

watchfrog

Liverlips said:
The Ale House.  Had my own bar stool with my name on it as did my roommate which we were able to access at any time regardless of who was sitting in them.  Big Damon was the bar tender and he enforced said chair rules.  After hours movie nights or poker games were a regular occurrence.  Hands down my favorite until it burned to the ground.  

Loved the Ale House.  Best memory there was watching the 1997 WAC Basketball Tournament finals.  The place was packed and electric that night.  Too bad Majerus & Van Horn ruined the night for us.

BABYFACE

I remember in the 80's that the Stockyards were a pretty wild time. PR's and Cadillac Bar were rockin. Also some pretty good times at the White Elephant beer garden.

Land Frog

Darn baylor!
BABYFACE said:
I remember in the 80's that the Stockyards were a pretty wild time. PR's and Cadillac Bar were rockin. Also some pretty good times at the White Elephant beer garden.
Pretty much lived in the Stockyards '91 through '94. PR's, Longhorn Saloon, Cadillac. Billy Bob's on Thursday night. I think Wednesdays off Bryant Irvin next to Lone Star (Horsemans).