• The KillerFrogs

TCU Construction Updates

10 Key Frog

Deep Purple said:

On the flip side, University Drive is already highly congested.  Closing Stadium would divert even more traffic to University.  Hello gridlock.

Stadium Drive may be modified, but it's highly unlikely they'll ever completely close it.
Agreed. I think the drawing is more of an architects pie in sky than actuality on closing stadium. I could definitely see though on game days a temporary closure not allowing through traffic.

Portland Frog

Deep Purple said:

On the flip side, University Drive is already highly congested.  Closing Stadium would divert even more traffic to University.  Hello gridlock.

Stadium Drive may be modified, but it's highly unlikely they'll ever completely close it.

Here's the solution Deep. Dig a tunnel under University drive and then it can be covered with grass etc in the area of campus that fronts University where the street currently sits. Thus traffic continues flowing underground through to Berry. Think of it like a version of the Woodall Rodgers (sp) equivalent project finished in Dallas. :sleep:

Do you think this idea would fly?

Deep Purple

10 Key Frog said:
Agreed. I think the drawing is more of an architects pie in sky than actuality on closing stadium. I could definitely see though on game days a temporary closure not allowing through traffic.

Right.  Back before the holidays when Athletics showed the Development folks those landscape drawings posted by jewsfrogit, they told us, "These are just architectural concepts, not plans.  The landscape design in front of Daniel-Mayer hasn't been decided yet."

Deep Purple

Portland Frog said:
Here's the solution Deep. Dig a tunnel under University drive and then it can be covered with grass etc in the area of campus that fronts University where the street currently sits. Thus traffic continues flowing underground through to Berry. Think of it like a version of the Woodall Rodgers (sp) equivalent project finished in Dallas. :sleep:

Do you think this idea would fly?

Going underground escalates the cost of a project tenfold.  The city, not TCU, owns the street. but the major beneficiary would be TCU.  So there's the issue of who would pay for it.

Also, it wouldn't solve the problem.  If you divert all traffic from Stadium to University, you're still going to have gridlock on University whether it is below ground or at grade.  Only so many cars can fit on a road at one time.

The tunnel under University has been discussed for years.  BTW, there already is a tunnel under University, but it's only about 12 ft wide, and perpendicular to University Dr.  From approx front of Old Gym, under the library with an offshoot to Brite. 

10 Key Frog

I said:
The tunnel under University has been discussed for years.  BTW, there already is a tunnel under University, but it's only about 12 ft wide, and perpendicular to University Dr.  From approx front of Old Gym, under the library with an offshoot to Brite. 
Cold War bomb shelter? And how would one happen to gain access?

frogs9497

Any chance there will ever be a pedestrian bridge on University connecting the east and west sides?  Or would that be aesthetically displeasing?  The traffic situation between class times is frustrating for motorists and students.

Deep Purple

frogs9497 said:
Any chance there will ever be a pedestrian bridge on University connecting the east and west sides?  Or would that be aesthetically displeasing?  The traffic situation between class times is frustrating for motorists and students.

That idea has been discussed many times as well.

Problem is, students always use the path requiring the least effort.  Even now, many don't use the designated crosswalks, but jaywalk across University at whatever point is most convenient.  So it's very unlikely students would expend the effort to climb stairs to a pedestrian bridge when they can simply cross the street at grade during gaps in traffic.

A pedestrian bridge would simply be an unused structure.

Ron Swanson

Deep Purple said:

Problem is, students always use the path requiring the least effort.  Even now, many don't use the designated crosswalks, but jaywalk across University at whatever point is most convenient.  So it's very unlikely students would expend the effort to climb stairs to a pedestrian bridge when they can simply cross the street at grade during gaps in traffic.

Yeah, you'd have to go with the outdoor escalator, obviously

10 Key Frog said:
Cold War bomb shelter? And how would one happen to gain access?
Yes.  Barells of 'Potable Water' were stacked in one section.  There is also a 20 inch pipe in the tunnel.  This was in 80's.  Acess was via ground gates, which have been sealed, and/or landscaped over.  There is a door in the basement of the original MCB with a blast window that leads into the tunnel.  It's alaways locked. 

Ron Swanson

I'm With The Band said:
There is also a 20 inch pipe in the tunnel. 

Michael-Scott-Failing-to-Hold-In-Laughter.gif

Deep Purple

I'm With The Band said:
Yes.  Barells of 'Potable Water' were stacked in one section.  There is also a 20 inch pipe in the tunnel.  This was in 80's.  Acess was via ground gates, which have been sealed, and/or landscaped over.  There is a door in the basement of the original MCB with a blast window that leads into the tunnel.  It's alaways locked. 

Cold War remnant of our effort to avoid a "tunnel gap" with other universities.

2mqsp69.jpg

TCUdirtbag

Deep Purple said:

Stadium isn't that heavily trafficked by folks not coming/going to/from TCU. Not sure the net effect of closure has that much impact on University, which I agree is a high volume road. One of the best things they could do on University is level the Shell station and put in a right turn only lane from Southbound University to Westbound Berry. Would really help traffic congestion at that intersection. They could also do some reconfiguring to allow for a double left turn from Eastbound Berry onto Northbound University.

Hopefully the new tollway will help alleviate some of the traffic from cars cutting through the University area to get from 30/downtown to 20/S Ft. Worth. And once the construction is done, Forest Park may be utilized more and draw some traffic off University. We'll see.

10 Key Frog

Deep Purple said:

I know it's an unpopular idea, but could do like a DART does and have cops come out every so often and ticket anyone for jaywalking. I heard that had a huge effect on people cutting across the train tracks at non designated areas there.

Would probably only need it 2-3 times a year to make it sink in.

Or like suggested below, use the outdoor escalator like what they have in Vegas.

10 Key Frog said:
I know it's an unpopular idea, but could do like a DART does and have cops come out every so often and ticket anyone for jaywalking. I heard that had a huge effect on people cutting across the train tracks at non designated areas there.

Would probably only need it 2-3 times a year to make it sink in.

Or like suggested below, use the outdoor escalator like what they have in Vegas.
You don't remember when FWPD did this last year?  Maniac got a ticket, and cried on here about it.  

10 Key Frog

I'm With The Band said:
You don't remember when FWPD did this last year?  Maniac got a ticket, and cried on here about it.  
Forgot about that. But see it has an effect. Instill a bit of fear in student population and quickly enough it becomes a myth that might happen to you. Have tour guides include it their walking tours as a safety feature and new students will think its always been around.

10 Key Frog said:
Forgot about that. But see it has an effect. Instill a bit of fear in student population and quickly enough it becomes a myth that might happen to you. Have tour guides include it their walking tours as a safety feature and new students will think its always been around.
Yeah.  That'll work.  

TCUdirtbag

10 Key Frog said:
That never works:

"The chimes at Robert Carr Chapel ring the Alma Mater every hour. Students on campus ALWAYS hold their Frogs up when hearing the chimes play."

10 Key Frog

jewstfrogit said:
That never works:

"The chimes at Robert Carr Chapel ring the Alma Mater every hour. Students on campus ALWAYS hold their Frogs up when hearing the chimes play."
Ha don't remember that one on the tour and never said anything about that when I have tours.