• The KillerFrogs

TCU Construction Updates

Portland Frog

Deep Purple said:

Going underground escalates the cost of a project tenfold.  The city, not TCU, owns the street. but the major beneficiary would be TCU.  So there's the issue of who would pay for it.

Also, it wouldn't solve the problem.  If you divert all traffic from Stadium to University, you're still going to have gridlock on University whether it is below ground or at grade.  Only so many cars can fit on a road at one time.
Double dip it. Dig a tunnel under University *and* Stadium.

Joking

Deep Purple

jewstfrogit said:
Stadium isn't that heavily trafficked by folks not coming/going to/from TCU. Not sure the net effect of closure has that much impact on University, which I agree is a high volume road.

Not exactly true.  Stadium is heavily trafficked during morning and afternoon rush hours.  I use it everyday, and not all of that traffic is TCU-related.  Half of it is coming and going from the University West neighborhood.  Friends in University West tell me just about everybody in the neighborhood wanting southbound access to Bellaire/Berry uses Stadium specifically to avoid the tangle on University.

One of the best things they could do on University is level the Shell station and put in a right turn only lane from Southbound University to Westbound Berry. Would really help traffic congestion at that intersection. They could also do some reconfiguring to allow for a double left turn from Eastbound Berry onto Northbound University.

In order to make the turning lane configurations you suggest, the city would have to use eminent domain to confiscate the Shell station and perhaps 1-2 other privately owned commercial properties -- maybe even the TCU Bookstore.

And that wouldn't solve the problem.  You'd still be increasing traffic volume on University by as much as 1/3 due to shutting down Stadium.  A few turning lane reconfigurations may reduce the snarl a little, but it's not going to remove all those additional cars from University Drive.

Simple geometry.  Only 100 1x1" squares will fit into a 10x10" box.  No matter how you reconfigure the box or the squares, you'll never fit more units into it because you still have an area of only 100 square inches to work with.

YA

I have never encountered bad University traffic as you guys are saying except on game days.  All other times it appears no more busy than any other street in a metropolitan area.  Sorry to burst the bubble on all this horrible traffic congestion talk.

TCUdirtbag

YA said:
I have never encountered bad University traffic as you guys are saying except on game days.  All other times it appears no more busy than any other street in a metropolitan area.  Sorry to burst the bubble on all this horrible traffic congestion talk.
One does not question Deep's omnipotence. At least not without getting a written lecture about how he knows everything about everything and you are wrong about everything. His expertise in traffic engineering, urban planning, real estate acquisitions and law obviously led him to a career in mid-level university athletics administration. Because that's where super-geniuses go.

Deep Purple

YA said:
He is head of foundation/corporate fundraising for TCU

Just foundations.

Didn't profess any expertise.  Was just voicing an opinion like everybody else.  And getting the same standard Kf.c response -- if you don't like the opinion, attack the poster.

TCUdirtbag

Deep Purple said:
Just foundations.

Didn't profess any expertise.  Was just voicing an opinion like everybody else.  And getting the same standard Kf.c response -- if you don't like the opinion, attack the poster.

I just like to rag on you and your irritating/arrogant phrase-by-phrase deconstructions of every post you disagree with.  Credit where credit is due, though: kudos on locking down the huge Rees-Jones Foundation gift.  

ShadowFrog

Moderators
jewstfrogit said:
One does not question Deep's omnipotence. At least not without getting a written lecture about how he knows everything about everything and you are wrong about everything. His expertise in traffic engineering, urban planning, real estate acquisitions and law obviously led him to a career in mid-level university athletics administration. Because that's where super-geniuses go.

if Deep is mid-level I'd sign up now to be an associate mid-level.

TCUdirtbag

I'm sitting in the airport and tired of reading about football team shenanigans and injuries.  Let's take a look at some campus construction updates:

Baseball locker room/lounge/office/player facility is coming along. Demo is done and concrete started last week:

ckdvJJF.jpg

New latitude bermuda infield is in place:

78tHgaH.jpg

Dugouts have new flooring and new benches (flooring and bench frames shown):

ZJSllJP.jpg

Looks like the DMC/Schollmaier arena will be ready--just not sure if the surrounding building will be.  New floor and video board are in place. The new steeper seating is behind the buckets.   The courtside seats will be removable and sit on the round arena floor:

bFtr40l.jpg

The renovated library is set to open in the next couple weeks, here's a look inside at some sort of interactive video board in the main lobby, a shot of the colonnade outside the main/old reading room, a look at the new Bistro Burnett, and a picture of one of the new, smaller reading rooms:

k6qjB2e.jpg

RydmKmN.jpg

pAy3wwj.jpg

rsfz8kZ.jpg

Portland Frog

TCUdirtbag said:
I'm sitting in the airport and tired of reading about football team shenanigans and injuries.  Let's take a look at some campus construction updates:

Baseball locker room/lounge/office/player facility is coming along. Demo is done and concrete started last week:

ckdvJJF.jpg

New latitude bermuda infield is in place:

78tHgaH.jpg

Dugouts have new flooring and new benches (flooring and bench frames shown):

ZJSllJP.jpg

Looks like the DMC/Schollmaier arena will be ready--just not sure if the surrounding building will be.  New floor and video board are in place. The new steeper seating is behind the buckets.   The courtside seats will be removable and sit on the round arena floor:

bFtr40l.jpg

The renovated library is set to open in the next couple weeks, here's a look inside at some sort of interactive video board in the main lobby, a shot of the colonnade outside the main/old reading room, a look at the new Bistro Burnett, and a picture of one of the new, smaller reading rooms:

k6qjB2e.jpg

RydmKmN.jpg

pAy3wwj.jpg

rsfz8kZ.jpg

This is good stuff. Thanks for posting.

lowfrog

Thanks, dirt.  Great pictures.  Please get some more when/if you can as the work continues and post them on here.  Love the library renovations and can't wait to walk by/stop in on the way to/from to a game at the Carter or the Schollmaier. 

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
geno said:
What?! She would have to go down Cantey two blocks to University and straight south to Krogers? What? Oh, the humanity! (As it now is, she drives south down Stadium to Berry, then two blocks north to Krogers. Somehow, I don't see much difference.)
How many Kroger stores are there on that one spot?

BABYFACE

YA said:
Try getting out of lot 3 or lot 3rv after a game.  It takes an hour or more typically.
We are in Lot 3. We take the first street on the left exiting the stadium(Highview?) then left on Park Hill and another left towards Colonial Country Club. Follow the golf course towards the river and take another left that goes thru Tanglewood and dumps you out on Hulen.

Best way out of traffic from Lot 3 that I know of.

Deep Purple

A lot of the concepts presented in this thread are now realities on the TCU campus.  The rest will become realities over the next three years.  The new sorority houses will be completed by 2017, the new fraternity houses by 2018.  This includes houses for a new fraternity recognized this year and a new sorority to be added next year.  It also includes expansion space for up to 3 new Greek organizations that could be added in the future.

tcujsauce

I graduated in 2008 (fall), so I got to enjoy one semester in the BLUU (still partial to The Main and Frogbytes though). This campus is absolutely scheissing incredible.