• The KillerFrogs

TCU Construction Updates

TCUdirtbag

Finally, the complete DMC renovation renderings are here: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/tcu/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2013-14/misc_non_event/dmcprojectplans.pdf

But here's the new landscape between the BLUU, DMC, AGCS, and Kelly Center:

fn4rvt.jpg

And here it is if the Kelly Center is expanded. Notably, Stadium Dr. would close to thru-traffic:

x3d074.jpg

At odds with itself, the presentation also shows the "future building" as separate from the existing Kelly Center:

2iqf7b.jpg

From this image, it appears they're also facading over the metal portions of the basketball practice facility.

In other TCU construction news:

- Colby will close for 2014-15. It is the final original dorm to be updated/renovated since they started with Foster/Waits in the early 2000s. It will re-open in Fall 2015.

- The Board has approved fundraising for the $75 million Phase 1 of the Neeley School addition/renovation. The project is likely to include the demolition of Dan Rogers Hall (not Tandy) and expansion eastward. Closure of Lubbock Ave. is possible. The project could eventually connect Tandy and the new facility to Smith Hall.

- Fundraising for the Music Village is ongoing, but a lead donor for the $100 million project located on the Sandage Lot has not been secured.

- The facade of Walsh will soon be modified to match the rest of campus.

- The Worth Hills Garage will break ground in summer of 2015. The garage must be complete before they can build the Greek Village portion of Worth Hills on top of existing lots/buildings. The Garage requires demolition of Brachmann Hall.

- The Olympic Sports Facility is off the boards. Much of those needs are satisfied by the DMC office building. But there is still a desire for a track facility at that venue.

- The next phase of Lupton includes renovated locker rooms, suites, offices etc. And more seating could be on the table depending on demand.

Reptilian

Since when is University of North Texas's campus yellow? Baylor dude becomes more incoherent with each post. His pals realized defeat and left.

BTW, I don't think he answered my question regarding why BU's endowment is so weak and their entire "Baylor 2012" fundraising campaign was such a disaster. Our similar campaign was bigger and a huge success.

Crickets. LOL.

TCUdirtbag

tcuseagull said:
When does construction on the Greek houses begin? Feels like it has been in the works forever.
2016. But it will be done in phases (build some, tear some down, build some, tear more down, build some more).

Horny 4 Life

I spent about 4 minutes staring at the Worth Hills renderings trying to figure out where that was.  I don't recognize the campus anymore. 

ifrog

iconoclast said:
Point. But tcu only started earlier to beat out North Texas in the "Most Yellow" competition.
Your trolling is getting old kid. Don't you have anything new?

At least be good at it. Don't be a roddog.

Reptilian said:
Since when is University of North Texas's campus yellow? Baylor dude becomes more incoherent with each post. His pals realized defeat and left.

BTW, I don't think he answered my question regarding why BU's endowment is so weak and their entire "Baylor 2012" fundraising campaign was such a disaster. Our similar campaign was bigger and a huge success.

Crickets. LOL.
What, you mean you kids won the "yellowist" competition! Excellent!

As for the rest of it, I'll you look it up.

Reptilian

iconoclast said:
What, you mean you kids won the "yellowist" competition! Excellent!
As for the rest of it, I'll you look it up.
Says the Baylor grammar Nazi! It keeps getting better. LOL this guy needs help! Dude is incoherent. Or maybe a different language on the Brazos. "I'll you look it up". Good job Baylor.

Reptilian said:
Says the Baylor grammar Nazi! It keeps getting better. LOL this guy needs help! Dude is incoherent. Or maybe a different language on the Brazos. "I'll you look it up". Good job Baylor.
Yeah, I hate it when I play down to your level, but sometimes it happens.

Reptilian said:

Crickets. LOL.
It's kind of yellow-orange. It looks orange in photos but up close it's not as extreme. That being said and having spent a significant amount of time on both campuses I would have never considered their colors to be similar.

Reptilian

PhormerPhrog said:
It's kind of yellow-orange. It looks orange in photos but up close it's not as extreme. That being said and having spent a significant amount of time on both campuses I would have never considered their colors to be similar.
My thoughts as well. Terrible reach by the Baylor troll. Also, I believe our brick is patented as "TCU brick". We didn't copy anyone like...

Big Frog II said:
Let's not expand the Kelly Center.

I don't want to lose my football parking.
That and it's a significant thoroughfare for campus-goers and local residents. I know a woman who lives on Stadium across from Alice Carlson. Can you imagine the inconvenience if to run to Kroger she had to go up Cantey to University? Or even to west on Berry? That tiny left turn lane will get congested. I can't see the local residents being ok with that.

ECoastFrog

iconoclast said:
Point. But tcu only started earlier to beat out North Texas in the "Most Yellow" competition.
You know that the brick at TCU is custom made for the University. It's called 'TCU buff.' Obviously,this brick has been used for many years.

TCUdirtbag

PhormerPhrog said:
That and it's a significant thoroughfare for campus-goers and local residents. I know a woman who lives on Stadium across from Alice Carlson. Can you imagine the inconvenience if to run to Kroger she had to go up Cantey to University? Or even to west on Berry? That tiny left turn lane will get congested. I can't see the local residents being ok with that.
Not sure if serious.

Closing Stadium would be awesome. It would cut down traffic and better unite main campus with worth hills and the athletics complex. Easier for students to get to/from athletics venues, etc. And the great lawn could be a great tailgate location for students. Imagine student tailgates/tents lining the lawn from the BLUU to AGCS/DMC. Pretty cool atmosphere.

There are few things more ridiculous than people who live by college campuses conplainig about university growth and college students. The university growth is inevitable and if you're going to live by a college campus you should know you're going to have to take the good with the bad.

Sure...let's close off a major thoroughfare so that we can have a bigger party 6 days a year.

Have you been down McPherson lately? It's a narrow road already and with the influx of MDUs and garage apartments, the street is always lined with cars and often becomes a one way street. It gets 100x worse on gamedays.

Park Hill/University is a beating so that would direct more traffic to Cantey unless you wanted to take the back way through Tanglewood to go south. In sure the folks of Simondale and Alton will appreciate the additional traffic through their neighborhood.

TCU doesn't own Stadium Drive and ultimately it will be up to the propery owners to decide how it is used. Growth, like you say, is inevitable but none of the previous construction projects have permanently redirected traffic flow.

TCUdirtbag

PhormerPhrog said:
Sure...let's close off a major thoroughfare so that we can have a bigger party 6 days a year.

Have you been down McPherson lately? It's a narrow road already and with the influx of MDUs and garage apartments, the street is always lined with cars and often becomes a one way street. It gets 100x worse on gamedays.

Park Hill/University is a beating so that would direct more traffic to Cantey unless you wanted to take the back way through Tanglewood to go south. In sure the folks of Simondale and Alton will appreciate the additional traffic through their neighborhood.

TCU doesn't own Stadium Drive and ultimately it will be up to the propery owners to decide how it is used. Growth, like you say, is inevitable but none of the previous construction projects have permanently redirected traffic flow.
This is hilarious. It's a whopping 0.2 miles east down Cantey and Berry to University--an actual major thoroughfare. Stadium is most definitely not a "major thoroughfare." And if TCU is going to a 100% residential campus, much of that growth will be in Worth Hills, so the pedestrian traffic across Stadium will increase significantly.

If you think TCU/Fort Worth has never closed or re-routed streets around and through the campus, you're crazy (also wrong and non-observant). But clearly you chose to live by that side of campus and for some reason think living by a college campus won't present any inconveniences for you.

The University can sell the closure pretty easily by throwing up numbers showing dramatically increased pedestrian traffic, pointing to student safety concerns, and reminding the city that TCU paid for a big chunk of the Berry Street redevelopment that was intended to aid traffic flow around the campus. If SMU can close roads like Stadium through their University Park (the school-city relationship is not good) neighborhood, TCU can get what they want from Fort Worth.

Big Frog II

ECoastFrog said:
You know that the brick at TCU is custom made for the University. It's called 'TCU buff.' Obviously,this brick has been used for many years.
We've been using that brick since the Baylor people burned down our last campus.