• The KillerFrogs

TCU Construction Updates

FroginBedford68

I still occasionally have that same dream. Only it's finals week and I realize I only attended class once and now can't find the darn classroom. 50 years later, still.
Working on master's degree at University of North Texas....PTA open house the night that our final paper was due...explained to prof that I couldn't attend class that night...he said mail (before interwebnetworld and PDF) it to him....Called him a couple of days after mailing it...Yes, he got the paper....Anything I need to know before final exam? No....He failed to tell me that as a member of the football coach hiring team, he was meeting that night....Moved the final to a room next to the meeting room....I reported to the original classroom....No one there....No one on that floor at all....Security guard happened by (exam had started 15 minutes before his arrival)....He called prof's home....Wife said he was meeting in that other place....Of course, a different building....I got there, told him what happened....He said just go in the room next door which had typewriters (turned out to be the university PR lab)....Everyone in there was typing the exam, using notes....Which I didn't take to campus....Last question was "What do you think you should get in this course?" I typed "A" and explained in writing all the snafus....He gave me a "B"....

Deep Purple

Back in 06 I know he wouldn’t sell for $1m, so assuming by now it was well beyond that. I say good for him, they couldn’t bully him into selling like they did many others.
Not sure what you mean by TCU "bullying" potential sellers. Does the University send around goon squads to threaten folks into selling?

Fact is, that guy painted himself into a corner. He had only one potential buyer. Because his property had become a campus enclave, nobody but TCU was ever going to buy it. And because the buyer was TCU, he got big green dollar signs in his eyes and overplayed his hand. It's a frequent occurrence among adjacent or enclaved property owners. Mistakenly assuming they've got TCU over a barrel, they get greedy, demanding absurdly inflated selling prices. Most never get paid what they want.

What more routinely happens is that the seller gradually realizes he isn't going to be around forever, but TCU is in it for the long haul and can afford to just wait him out. TCU waited more than 10 years to acquire the Bellaire Drive property in front of the Harrison, and more than twice that long for the Bellaire North property across from the football practice fields. TCU often pays an above-market price for properties like that, but will not be gouged into paying two or three times the market value.

So unless that property is of prime strategic importance under the Campus Master Plan -- which is almost never the case -- TCU simply withdraws its offer, builds around the property, and moves on. I saw it happen oh-so-many times over a period of nearly 30 years.

Not sure what you mean by TCU "bullying" potential sellers. Does the University send around goon squads to threaten folks into selling?

Fact is, that guy painted himself into a corner. He had only one potential buyer. Because his property had become a campus enclave, nobody but TCU was ever going to buy it. And because the buyer was TCU, he got big green dollar signs in his eyes and overplayed his hand. It's a frequent occurrence among adjacent or enclaved property owners. Mistakenly assuming they've got TCU over a barrel, they get greedy, demanding absurdly inflated selling prices. Most never get paid what they want.

What more routinely happens is that the seller gradually realizes he isn't going to be around forever, but TCU is in it for the long haul and can afford to just wait him out. TCU waited more than 10 years to acquire the Bellaire Drive property in front of the Harrison, and more than twice that long for the Bellaire North property across from the football practice fields. TCU often pays an above-market price for properties like that, but will not be gouged into paying two or three times the market value.

So unless that property is of prime strategic importance under the Campus Master Plan -- which is almost never the case -- TCU simply withdraws its offer, builds around the property, and moves on. I saw it happen oh-so-many times over a period of nearly 30 years.

Latest posts