• The KillerFrogs

TCU Construction Updates

YA

Streets close all the time--the entity that requests it has to pay the city a large sum and then be responsible for the maintenance.  If you want a recent example, look no further than the Sundance Square park on Main--the street was permanently closed in that area between both sides of the park. 

geno

PhormerPhrog said:
That and it's a significant thoroughfare for campus-goers and local residents. I know a woman who lives on Stadium across from Alice Carlson. Can you imagine the inconvenience if to run to Kroger she had to go up Cantey to University? Or even to west on Berry? That tiny left turn lane will get congested. I can't see the local residents being ok with that.
What?! She would have to go down Cantey two blocks to University and straight south to Krogers? What? Oh, the humanity! (As it now is, she drives south down Stadium to Berry, then two blocks east to Krogers. Somehow, I don't see much difference.)

cdsfrog

Speaking of street closures and congestion......hope they fix the directing of traffic after games. Really sucked after Baylor and a couple other games. At least for Lot 4 which gets trapped. If they people stay for an extra hour after that would alleviate a ton of the traffic issues.

Does anyone park in Lot 8? Wondering what it's like there traffic wise

YA

The traffic after the games is a disgrace in how the FWPD and TCU police handle the situation. 

The school and the PD need to look at this issue.  Even an hour after games, the congestion to get out of the lower lots is too much. 

TCUdirtbag

YA said:
The traffic after the games is a disgrace in how the FWPD and TCU police handle the situation. 

The school and the PD need to look at this issue.  Even an hour after games, the congestion to get out of the lower lots is too much. 
It sucks, but I don't think it's all that bad. When I've gone to away games at SMU, the backup on Hillcrest and getting to any of the lights on Central is a nightmare. And that's with half or fewer people. Baylor is even worse at the old stadium. That was nightmarish.

MAcFroggy

I have some buddies with actual parking spots, so I normally just park in the the neighborhood across from the track or the baseball stadium and walk.  It is a decently far walk, but getting in and out is a breeze. Totally worth it (at least when it is nice outside).

cdsfrog

jewstfrogit said:
It sucks, but I don't think it's all that bad. When I've gone to away games at SMU, the backup on Hillcrest and getting to any of the lights on Central is a nightmare. And that's with half or fewer people. Baylor is even worse at the old stadium. That was nightmarish.

Baylor game was 1 hour out of Lot 4, only because they opened the back ally way. It would have been 90+ minutes.

We didnt move out of our spot (in the front) for 40 minutes....

It will be worse for Tech/OU/OSU night games, especially UT night games with no rain

TCUdirtbag

cdsfrog said:
Baylor game was 1 hour out of Lot 4, only because they opened the back ally way. It would have been 90+ minutes.

We didnt move out of our spot (in the front) for 40 minutes....

It will be worse for Tech/OU/OSU night games, especially UT night games with no rain
So change lots.

YA said:

Imagine how bad it will be if they sod over Stadium.

jewstfrogit said:

So that makes it ok?  Sure they suck but I only have to go there once every 24 months.

jewstfrogit said:
So change lots.

Are you on your period?

cdsfrog

jewstfrogit said:
So change lots.

How about they fix the problem instead. Not that hard.

But yes I am considering switching spots. Love lot 4 and it's only $750 versus 2000.

Might do Lot 5B or Lot 8 but that is general parking and hard as hell to get spots in.

Another issue I would have if I were a residence would be emergency response time.  I think the closest fire station is the one off South Hills over by the Albertson's.  Let's say BoydAveFrog's house is on fire.  From there they just take Stadium, north to Berry, straight to Stadium again and they'll be there in a matter of minutes.  With Stadium blocked off they they'll go east on Berry, north on University, west on Cantey.  They'll be tripling their response time.  I thought the idea was to make things safer?

ftblbob5

All I can say is, "WOW!"  In just the two short years since I last visited TCU's campus, it seemed like there were many updates and positive changes.  

When all of this projected construction is completed, I don't think many will recognize the place.  All of the renderings and projections look fantastic.  The upgrade to the basketball facilities are long overdue, but look like they will make recruiting talent to those programs much easier.

Couple all of this with the great changes made to ACS, TCU will have a first class athletic facility.  Congratulations!

BTW, did I miss any changes to the track facilities?  That could use an updating, too.

geno

PhormerPhrog said:
Another issue I would have if I were a residence would be emergency response time.  I think the closest fire station is the one off South Hills over by the Albertson's.  Let's say BoydAveFrog's house is on fire.  From there they just take Stadium, north to Berry, straight to Stadium again and they'll be there in a matter of minutes.  With Stadium blocked off they they'll go east on Berry, north on University, west on Cantey.  They'll be tripling their response time.  I thought the idea was to make things safer?
They "triple" the response time from the fire station by going down University to Cantey? Was your major mathematics? Not, I hope, at TCU.

TCUdirtbag

cdsfrog said:
How about they fix the problem instead. Not that hard.

But yes I am considering switching spots. Love lot 4 and it's only $750 versus 2000.

Might do Lot 5B or Lot 8 but that is general parking and hard as hell to get spots in.
Lot 4 is a tough one. That area is poorly managed after games, but there are so few in/ours back there that it's always going to be one of the tougher edits.

geno said:
They "triple" the response time from the fire station by going down University to Cantey? Was your major mathematics? Not, I hope, at TCU.
It was my minor. How many sides to a rectangle, smart guy? Going down Stadium you just run alongside one. Berry to University to Canty takes three sides and two additional intersections. Math.

TCUdirtbag

PhormerPhrog said:
This isn't exaggerated or anything. Clearly what we have here is a case of selfishness/grumpiness. Maybe you should move to suburbia where the perils of urban life will no longer burden you.

Since you're so worried, and so noble in your desires, here's the FWPD Station map: http://fortworthtexas.gov/uploadedFiles/Fire/Stations%20&%20Battalions%202009.pdf

The closest station, Station #21, is at 3501 South Hills Ave. Per google maps, the distance from the station to the Boyd/McPherson crossing is 1.4 mi, 5 min. if you go via S Hills to Berry, to Stadium. If you instead go Granbury to University to Cantey, you add a whopping .5 miles and possibly 1 more minute, for a total of 1.9 Miles in 6 minutes. Of course, if someone could invent a vehicle with built-in sirens and bright, multi-colored lights, and teach people to get out of its way and exempt it from speed limits, signs and traffic signals, then the response time could magically be decreased. Bet nobody ever thought up one of those.

YA

You know what would help is if the FWPD would allow folks to go west on Park Hill on all streets to the west of Stadium drive, instead of forcing everyone to go east to on Park Hill to University.  Also, have cops at the Park Hill and University light for at least 2 hours after the game.  Do the same thing at Colonial & University  light.

Ron Swanson

I've never understood SMU/Baylor people making fun of the brick color on our buildings.  I like the color a lot, and would never think to make fun of it.  It's not extreme by any means... a perfectly pleasant/neutral color that seems quite suitable for buildings on a college campus.

Such a weird thing for them to focus on to give us crap about.