• The KillerFrogs

TCU Construction Updates

Deep Purple

I talked to a couple of students yesterday and they are furious (as well as surrounding neighborhoods) for all of the lack of parking and literally no communication from the University.
There has been plenty of communication. A great many students simply don't read mass emails from the university, treating them as spam even when they contain important new information. They delete the emails and then gripe about "no communication" from TCU.

As for the surrounding neighborhoods, TCU hosted community forums to share its plans and answer questions. The university itself is getting very little push-back from the neighbors, though they are furious with the students over indiscriminate parking -- something TCU doesn't and can't control. It seems 18- to 22-year-olds dislike walking.

Purp

Narly, Thank you. I did see three articles written by students in TCU360, but updates are missing from the interactive maps and lot closure postings.

I am a participant in the TCU Neighbor to Neighbor Program and we meet tonight. I have requested that TCU send a representative from Parking to the meeting. I hope they do. It is an untenable issue for students and residents. I have made several observations that I would like the University to entertain but it has fallen on deaf ears so far. For example:

TCU should provide free parking for it's employees. About a quarter of the people parking in the neighborhood are faculty, and faculty parking lots are half full. I guess there are those that take exception to having to pay 75$ per year to park.

TCU needs to require any and all students that attend class on campus to have parking stickers. Commuters are not required to have parking stickers so those (there are about 3,000 of them) can only park in the one or two small commuter lots.

The biggest change they need to do is to prohibit freshmen from having cars. This is done at most land locked major universities, which is what we are striving to be. The benefits of this are huge from a security and traffic/parking standpoint. We need to take the big move in this direction.

These steps cost the University nothing, what do you think?
I'm for promoting liberty, not restricting it. If I were an incoming freshman and couldn't have my car, especially as an out-of-state student, I'd strongly consider another university. I'm not interested in a place devoted to restricting my ability to get around as I please.

TCUdirtbag

Why do you bother to respond? You have nothing to contribute.

You picked an interesting thread to make this assertion.

Unsurprisingly, we have learned your posts are not directed at concerns of students (who have and always will complain about parking and always ignore emails and news releases and news stories about changes) or faculty (who have the info at their fingertips in email, TCU This Week, etc) as you first insinuated, but just your complaints as a campus neighbor. Hope you got your chance to complain about the major university that popped up out of nowhere and drives your property value through the roof at the community meeting last night!

TCU works very hard to be a good neighbor. The net benefit of having TCU next door/down the street far exceeds the negatives. But being a good neighbor is a 2-way street.

Last edited:

HToady

You picked an interesting thread to make this assertion.

Unsurprisingly, we have learned your posts are not directed at concerns of students (who have and always will complain about parking and always ignore emails and news releases and news stories about changes) or faculty (who have the info at their fingertips in email, TCU This Week, etc) as you first insinuated, but just your complaints as a campus neighbor. Hope you got your chance to complain about the major university that popped up out of nowhere and drives your property value through the roof at the community meeting last night!

TCU works very hard to be a good neighbor. The net benefit of having TCU next door/down the street far exceeds the negatives. But being a good neighbor is a 2-way street.

I sure did! There were at least 3 TCU Administrators there, and 3 student government representatives. I did get the opportunity to address parking with TCU and got my questions answered adequately for now. There were things that I was unaware of. I did not know that only about 50% of freshmen actually bring cars and more and more are relying on Uber. They were not aware that faculty and staff were parking on the neighborhood streets and agreed to look at it. They were also going to look at implementing a parking app. The students thought this would be helpful. They have also hired a consulting firm to determine why they can't get anyone to use the shuttles and what they may do to make them more efficient. All agree that we are "construction weary".

You see, I actually took the initiative to be constructive, rather than just complaining and casting aspersions on people, you don't even know, on a blog. You seem to be challenging Deep for AH of Killerfrogs.

TCUdirtbag

I sure did! There were at least 3 TCU Administrators there, and 3 student government representatives. I did get the opportunity to address parking with TCU and got my questions answered adequately for now. There were things that I was unaware of. I did not know that only about 50% of freshmen actually bring cars and more and more are relying on Uber. They were not aware that faculty and staff were parking on the neighborhood streets and agreed to look at it. They were also going to look at implementing a parking app. The students thought this would be helpful. They have also hired a consulting firm to determine why they can't get anyone to use the shuttles and what they may do to make them more efficient. All agree that we are "construction weary".

As I have said, TCU goes out of their way to be a good neighbor. Glad you went to the meeting to learn more. Hopefully you asked about the resources they make available so you can keep up with the goings-on without resorting to message board complaining

You see, I actually took the initiative to be constructive, rather than just complaining and casting aspersions on people, you don't even know, on a blog. You seem to be challenging Deep for AH of Killerfrogs.

This thread literally re-emerged because you complained without any searching and didn’t like the answers you got. This very thread has information about the closing of sandage and lots on berry for the new construction projects from months ago. And I’m the unreasonable one? Lol okay.

WhiteHispanicFrog

Curmudgeon
https://www.tcu360.com/2019/02/parking-tickets-racking-up-for-students/

With fines starting at $50, TCU students have racked up over $110,000 in parking tickets since the spring semester started in mid-January.

Construction on campus and tardiness to class are just two complaints that TCU students have about what they call “a lack of parking.”

Vice Chancellor of Public Safety, Adrian Peters, disagrees.

“Lot 3 and Lot 4 are never full,” he said.

These parking lots are located near the football stadium.

Lauren Beury, a sophomore education major, said she’s contributed to the $110k.

“I got three tickets in one day last semester and two tickets so far this semester,” she said.

This spring is on track to have about 1,000 fewer citations than last year.

“Since the beginning of spring semester TCU PD have written 2,240 citations across the campus,” Andrews said. “There were 7,656 citations in spring 2018.”

HToady

https://www.tcu360.com/2019/02/parking-tickets-racking-up-for-students/

With fines starting at $50, TCU students have racked up over $110,000 in parking tickets since the spring semester started in mid-January.

Construction on campus and tardiness to class are just two complaints that TCU students have about what they call “a lack of parking.”

Vice Chancellor of Public Safety, Adrian Peters, disagrees.

“Lot 3 and Lot 4 are never full,” he said.

These parking lots are located near the football stadium.

Lauren Beury, a sophomore education major, said she’s contributed to the $110k.

“I got three tickets in one day last semester and two tickets so far this semester,” she said.

This spring is on track to have about 1,000 fewer citations than last year.

“Since the beginning of spring semester TCU PD have written 2,240 citations across the campus,” Andrews said. “There were 7,656 citations in spring 2018.”
Thanks for posting this.
These are just TCU PD numbers add another 50% at least for tickets issued by the three Fort Worth agencies issuing tickets on the streets.
Vice Chancellor Andrews is correct when he says that Lots 3 and 4 have spaces....but it's just TOO FAR!!!!!!
I do hope the University will follow through with their study on how to make the shuttles more effective like Dr. Russel suggested Monday night. With this group I would suggest that they have a weekly raffle on the bus for a Louis Vuitton handbag or wallet.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The steel beams on the east side of ACS are nearly topped out I think. The stadium looks huge from Stadium Drive. This addition is gonna make us look big-time.
When you see the little tree on top of the steelwork, you'll know it is completed.*

*That is, if they still honor such traditions in this new, enlightened age...

4 Oaks Frog

Yeah, poor students. Talked to one who lives in an (unnamed) fraternity house on the Worth Hills campus. He has classes in the Tucker building on the east campus, and cannot drive over there and find a parking place. Oh, the humanity!
It’s up hill both ways, and it snows continuously...
GO FROGS!
BEAT EVERYBODY!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and [Baylor asshoe]!!

Sand Frog

Long way off on East Side of Among G.

full-692-182783-20190329_083602.jpg
full-692-182784-20190329_083624.jpg

I'm for promoting liberty, not restricting it. If I were an incoming freshman and couldn't have my car, especially as an out-of-state student, I'd strongly consider another university. I'm not interested in a place devoted to restricting my ability to get around as I please.
Seriously. Particularly in car-centric N Texas. I’m sure the vast majority of kids going to TCU have had their own car since age 16

LeagueCityFrog

If they have to delay opening the East side a couple of games to make sure everything is spot on for the Grand Opening, so be it. No big deal. I'm sure it will be 1st in class when it opens.

Go Frogs and win this weekend's baseball series and the NIT next week!

Zubaz

Regarding the parking situation:
CKFQltE.jpg

It is less than 1 mile from Lot 4 to Smith. Absolute worst case scenario where you park in the worst lot to get to the furthest building...you're looking at maybe 20 minutes. That's not line-of-site either, that's the distance the route would take you. We aren't an especially large campus, really. While sure it would be nice to have every building feature walk-up parking, this isn't exactly Bataan for the students.

Eight

Regarding the parking situation:
CKFQltE.jpg

It is less than 1 mile from Lot 4 to Smith. Absolute worst case scenario where you park in the worst lot to get to the furthest building...you're looking at maybe 20 minutes. That's not line-of-site either, that's the distance the route would take you. We aren't an especially large campus, really. While sure it would be nice to have every building feature walk-up parking, this isn't exactly Bataan for the students.

agree and if a student opts not to come to tcu because of the parking situation or even the possibility they couldn't have a car on campus their first year so be it.