• The KillerFrogs

TCU Construction Updates

HToady

Walking on campus yesterday and noticed that TCU has closed the big parking lot at McCart and Berry and a lot between Bellaire and Berry, just this week. Bellaire behind Einstine's Bagels will permanently close today.

I talked to a couple of students yesterday and they are furious (as well as surrounding neighborhoods) for all of the lack of parking and literally no communication from the University.

When eliminating a thousand or so parking spots, isn't the school required to provide an impact statement, with major construction projects?

narly1

Walking on campus yesterday and noticed that TCU has closed the big parking lot at McCart and Berry and a lot between Bellaire and Berry, just this week. Bellaire behind Einstine's Bagels will permanently close today.

I talked to a couple of students yesterday and they are furious (as well as surrounding neighborhoods) for all of the lack of parking and literally no communication from the University.

When eliminating a thousand or so parking spots, isn't the school required to provide an impact statement, with major construction projects?

Here is what I know of what is going on with the parking info, and I don't claim to be the expert at all.

For East side campus parking prior to the closing of the McCart-Barry parking lot, two new lots were opened: W Cantey at Merida and W Cantey at McCart.

For West side, students have only lost a portion of lot 9 (I can try to dig up the total amount of spots) the remainder of parking lost for the new Admin Bldg were Fac/Staff reserved spots.

Campus is pretty proactive about keeping the same amount of parking prior to removing any. The fact is campus is growing and parking will be a couple of blocks farther than it used to be. I miss the days of parking in the quad. As for notice given, I did see signs were put up on lot 9 prior to its closing so people who normally parked there "should" have seen them.

TCUdirtbag

There has been endless communication about all these closures. Any student, staff, or neighbor pretending otherwise is willfully ignorant/oblivious or just looking for something to whine about.

HToady

There has been endless communication about all these closures. Any student, staff, or neighbor pretending otherwise is willfully ignorant/oblivious or just looking for something to whine about.
Enlighten me. Several students I talked to say they never receive any emails regarding parking. A professor friend of mine says the only correspondence he has ever received was pertaining to closures at UCC due to funerals. So I guess most of them have missed the sign on the fence or the sky writing, but in the modern world TCU needs to step up it's communication. Baylor has an app that tells students where parking spots are open. We do not. Are they smarter than us?

TCUdirtbag

Enlighten me. Several students I talked to say they never receive any emails regarding parking. A professor friend of mine says the only correspondence he has ever received was pertaining to closures at UCC due to funerals. So I guess most of them have missed the sign on the fence or the sky writing, but in the modern world TCU needs to step up it's communication. Baylor has an app that tells students where parking spots are open. We do not. Are they smarter than us?

TCU This Week, TCU Neighborhood News, TCU Skiff/360 articles. FWST news stories not just about closures but the construction projects and P&Z/permit/council votes too, campus emails, posted signs, etc. News releases after Board meetings/approvals. The giant construction fencing marks on maps.tcu.edu. Etc. etc.

Perhaps your professor friend and the students you talked to are dumber than Baylor. But the information to prevent such a horrible fate has been at their fingertips and in front of their faces.

HToady

TCU This Week, TCU Neighborhood News, TCU Skiff/360 articles. FWST news stories not just about closures but the construction projects and P&Z/permit/council votes too, campus emails, posted signs, etc. News releases after Board meetings/approvals. The giant construction fencing marks on maps.tcu.edu. Etc. etc.

Perhaps your professor friend and the students you talked to are dumber than Baylor. But the information to prevent such a horrible fate has been at their fingertips and in front of their faces.
You named a bunch of TCU periodicals but you didn't post any correspondence about parking lot closures. Can you do that please?

frogs9497

giphy.gif

ShadowFrog

Moderators
For what it’s worth department:
I lobbied as the Committee of One to the 1 or 2 people with TCU “power” I vaguely have a passing hello relationship with, begging them to Please leave the lobby of Sadler as is for a piece of history/heritage I didn’t wanna see refurbished out of existence. I was recently assured that it will remain in its current place & placement after Honors takes over Sadler, new Admin building is done, etc. I’m not against progress, just wanted to keep one small piece of history in its original form for other generations to enjoy.

Brog

Yeah, poor students. Talked to one who lives in an (unnamed) fraternity house on the Worth Hills campus. He has classes in the Tucker building on the east campus, and cannot drive over there and find a parking place. Oh, the humanity!

HToady

TCU This Week, TCU Neighborhood News, TCU Skiff/360 articles. FWST news stories not just about closures but the construction projects and P&Z/permit/council votes too, campus emails, posted signs, etc. News releases after Board meetings/approvals. The giant construction fencing marks on map[/QUOTE

I did some additional research on my own and did find 3 articles on TCU 360 about current parking issues, including the additions restrictions we implemented in my neighborhood. These were all student generated articles but do quote some TCU officials.

I also went to the TCU Police and Parking websites on TCU.edu. The so called Interactive Map hasn't been updated this semester and does not include the new lot at Cantey and McCart or show the closure of the lot the lot at McCart and Berry. I also clicked on the Parking Lot and Street Closure link, which was blank.

So I get the impression that the issue is of great concern to students as was told to me, but TCU officials, have made little or no effort to update the areas where TCU students would go for information.

TCU is a great school that I love very much, so much so, that I choose to live nearby. Is everybody perfect over there? Probably not, especially when it comes to parking and parking issues and regulations. I think that is fair......

narly1

HToady, I also did a quick search and I agree there was not as much sent out than normally is in regards to the Lot 9 and McCart parking lot closures.

I did find this article from "TCU This Week" https://thisweek.tcu.edu/a-change-is-gonna-come/

I will mention the parking app and more announcements ideas to the powers that be the next time I see those folks.

HToady

HToady, I also did a quick search and I agree there was not as much sent out than normally is in regards to the Lot 9 and McCart parking lot closures.

I did find this article from "TCU This Week" https://thisweek.tcu.edu/a-change-is-gonna-come/

I will mention the parking app and more announcements ideas to the powers that be the next time I see those folks.
Narly, Thank you. I did see three articles written by students in TCU360, but updates are missing from the interactive maps and lot closure postings.

I am a participant in the TCU Neighbor to Neighbor Program and we meet tonight. I have requested that TCU send a representative from Parking to the meeting. I hope they do. It is an untenable issue for students and residents. I have made several observations that I would like the University to entertain but it has fallen on deaf ears so far. For example:

TCU should provide free parking for it's employees. About a quarter of the people parking in the neighborhood are faculty, and faculty parking lots are half full. I guess there are those that take exception to having to pay 75$ per year to park.

TCU needs to require any and all students that attend class on campus to have parking stickers. Commuters are not required to have parking stickers so those (there are about 3,000 of them) can only park in the one or two small commuter lots.

The biggest change they need to do is to prohibit freshmen from having cars. This is done at most land locked major universities, which is what we are striving to be. The benefits of this are huge from a security and traffic/parking standpoint. We need to take the big move in this direction.

These steps cost the University nothing, what do you think?

YA

Narly, Thank you. I did see three articles written by students in TCU360, but updates are missing from the interactive maps and lot closure postings.

I am a participant in the TCU Neighbor to Neighbor Program and we meet tonight. I have requested that TCU send a representative from Parking to the meeting. I hope they do. It is an untenable issue for students and residents. I have made several observations that I would like the University to entertain but it has fallen on deaf ears so far. For example:

TCU should provide free parking for it's employees. About a quarter of the people parking in the neighborhood are faculty, and faculty parking lots are half full. I guess there are those that take exception to having to pay 75$ per year to park.

TCU needs to require any and all students that attend class on campus to have parking stickers. Commuters are not required to have parking stickers so those (there are about 3,000 of them) can only park in the one or two small commuter lots.

The biggest change they need to do is to prohibit freshmen from having cars. This is done at most land locked major universities, which is what we are striving to be. The benefits of this are huge from a security and traffic/parking standpoint. We need to take the big move in this direction.

$75 a year for parking? I paid that a month for my old job parking space.

TCU will never prohibit freshmen from having cars--the class would drop in half or more---it would be a failure

TCUdirtbag

I think you complain too much.

TCU isn’t going to tell freshmen they can’t have cars. I’ve seen some dumb ideas, but this one takes the cake.