• The KillerFrogs

TCU Construction Updates

Sand Frog

Aren't those flag poles?

In conversation today with Coach P at Pro Day, he said the new scoreboard would stretch from flag pole to flag pole. He seemed pretty excited about it. He did kind of chuckle about the East Side being done as well. Mentioned he told JD he better start preparing those ticket holders for it not to be finished. His comment was under promise and over deliver!

Smellslikeroses

In conversation today with Coach P at Pro Day, he said the new scoreboard would stretch from flag pole to flag pole. He seemed pretty excited about it. He did kind of chuckle about the East Side being done as well. Mentioned he told JD he better start preparing those ticket holders for it not to be finished. His comment was under promise and over deliver!
I felt dumb after Wes’s comment but now not so much.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Regarding the parking situation:
CKFQltE.jpg

It is less than 1 mile from Lot 4 to Smith. Absolute worst case scenario where you park in the worst lot to get to the furthest building...you're looking at maybe 20 minutes. That's not line-of-site either, that's the distance the route would take you. We aren't an especially large campus, really. While sure it would be nice to have every building feature walk-up parking, this isn't exactly Bataan for the students.
Liked for Bataan reference

froginaustin

Anyone that thinks TCU student parking is tough, at least compared to other universities that anyone actually wants to attend, should look around.

UTx students park several miles from the "40 acres", where most of the classroom buildings are. Some of these lots are east of I-35. At least the ones that most undergrads use. Parking at their JJ Pickle research campus in northwest Austin is by expensive, tough-to-get permit only, and also limited although that campus is sprawling.

I am pretty sure that I remember that Northwestern University, about 50 years ago when my cousin was a student there, forbade cars owned by freshmen and sophomores on campus, and charged everyone else an arm and a leg for a chance to snag very scarce and inconvenient parking spots-- a whole lot more permits sold than parking spots on the ground (UTx does that today). NU 50 years ago was about the size that TCU is today, enrollment-wise, if not a little smaller.

flyfishingfrog

Based on the data that was presented at the board meeting the other day - the percentage of incoming students and of the student population in general is declining because of the ease of ride services

And that trend is expected to continue over the next decade so that even with larger enrollment, we need less parking

They also showed that this correlates to a decrease in the number of kids getting their drivers license at or before 16 across the country

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
One can "juice up" personnel, but the interior build-out has an order and sequence that has a few fixed time values. Trickier variables also include (but are not limited to) inspections taking place in a timely manner, blunders on the part of the contractors, and any errors which took place during the erection of the structure that manifest themselves later.*

The weather was just terrible during a time when the Almanac said it would be great. That's how the dice fall sometimes. Rushing things along may cause more problems. I do hope the run of bad ju-ju has moved along...

*Remember the concrete collapsing on the South Endzone project? A few suites floors just fell through after the concrete was dried and ready to go. I don't remember the entirety of the "fix" for the issue, but, yikes.

One can "juice up" personnel, but the interior build-out has an order and sequence that has a few fixed time values. Trickier variables also include (but are not limited to) inspections taking place in a timely manner, blunders on the part of the contractors, and any errors which took place during the erection of the structure that manifest themselves later.*

The weather was just terrible during a time when the Almanac said it would be great. That's how the dice fall sometimes. Rushing things along may cause more problems. I do hope the run of bad ju-ju has moved along...

*Remember the concrete collapsing on the South Endzone project? A few suites floors just fell through after the concrete was dried and ready to go. I don't remember the entirety of the "fix" for the issue, but, yikes.

920x920.jpg

HToady

Regarding the parking situation:
CKFQltE.jpg

It is less than 1 mile from Lot 4 to Smith. Absolute worst case scenario where you park in the worst lot to get to the furthest building...you're looking at maybe 20 minutes. That's not line-of-site either, that's the distance the route would take you. We aren't an especially large campus, really. While sure it would be nice to have every building feature walk-up parking, this isn't exactly Bataan for the students.
Don't forget there is a shuttle bus that runs that exact route every 30 minutes....

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Somewhat amazing a contractor can keep the job after that. Pretty huge "oops"

In regards to parking, I have never understood the complaints. Parking is 100% fine at TCU. Yeh it's not WalMart, but would you want that?
We used to have Walmart, it was called the Quad. When Vic took his first walking tour of campus he was stunned to be told THAT was the center of campus. Although he didn’t say anything at the time I’m sure he thought ballooned a few notes higher up on his priorities list.