• The KillerFrogs

Elsewhere in the Big 12...

TechAdvisor

You mentioned the new OC using FB and TE. Has Kliff handed over control of the offense to this guy? Or is he just exerting some influence and convincing Kliff to try new things?

I wouldn't necessarily say "handed over control" but brought in to influence the offense. Kingsbury has stated that he will still call the plays and Kevin Johns will be in the press box.

At Western Michigan Johns offense was;

62.70% Rush
37.30% Pass

Last season Tech was;

46% Rush
54% Pass

Johns uses TE's and FB's for a power rushing attack and I think you'll see close to a balanced 50%/50% attack from Tech's offense this season.

So Tech is now a run first offense with a good defense team now?

I think they'll be really close to 50%/50% pass/rush. No, I don't think Tech's defense will be "good" in the sense that they'll be a top 40 unit or anything but I think most fans would take average, top 60-70 defense.

I think Tech will be a surprise this year. They’ve managed to keep a DC for three seasons now, and he’s done a good job elevating the play on that side of the ball and recruiting guys for his system, so they will be a much better defensive team than Tech traditionally fields.

On the other hand, it looks like Tech will be without a gunslinger at QB for the first time in like 20 years. I think their movement to emphasize the run game (if true) is a reaction to poor QB play rather than a change in philosophy.

I would say that this is a fair except for the last sentence. I don't think Johns was brought in because Tech doesn't have a Mahomes type QB on the roster. I think he was brought in to balance the offense to combat defenses like ISU who come out with 3DL and 3 high safeties daring you to run the ball 50+ times a game.

That and Eric Morris just wasn't getting it done. His WR's regressed each and every year he was Co-OC/WR coach.

Boonescabanaboy

Someone has to be down there by Kansas. Looking at the Big 12ish it's hard to see who will be sitting in the spot just above Kansas at the end of the year. I could see this being a year where there is a 3 way tie in the middle somewhere. Every team could make a case that they will be pretty solid (except Kansas).

I hope it's Baylor again, but it's hard to predict.

Wexahu

Someone has to be down there by Kansas. Looking at the Big 12ish it's hard to see who will be sitting in the spot just above Kansas at the end of the year. I could see this being a year where there is a 3 way tie in the middle somewhere. Every team could make a case that they will be pretty solid (except Kansas).

I hope it's Baylor again, but it's hard to predict.

I have a hunch Texas Tech is going to be terrible. We'll see.

CryptoMiner

OU: QBs and O continues to struggle

UT: Offense having their way with the D, could be the D isn't as good as advertised or O much better than advertised.

Eight

UT RSFR WR Davion Curtis to transfer.

when he signed i had horn alums tell me curtis was better than reagor. didn't say anything then and just let the season play out.

the bigger news is not that curtis got passed on their depth chart by moore and they are serious about letting jamison play on both sides of the ball.

bigger news to me is that it has become quite apparent mensa will say and do whatever he needs to do to land a player on campus and he will run off any player he feels can't contribute to open up another scholarship.

CryptoMiner

when he signed i had horn alums tell me curtis was better than reagor. didn't say anything then and just let the season play out.

the bigger news is not that curtis got passed on their depth chart by moore and they are serious about letting jamison play on both sides of the ball.

bigger news to me is that it has become quite apparent mensa will say and do whatever he needs to do to land a player on campus and he will run off any player he feels can't contribute to open up another scholarship.

It was Charlie Strong's staff that flipped Curtis from Georgia.

Jamison no longer working with the D.

Eight

UT: Offense having their way with the D, could be the D isn't as good as advertised or O much better than advertised.

fall camp is tricky. big part of orlando's defense is scheming to stop opposing offenses and using multiple looks, blitzes, etc...

what we don't know is whether or not texas is playing base and basic packages to teach the young kids in the secondary and linebacker. after seeing the same defense multiple times for 3 weeks you should start to get a feel for what they are doing.

tcu is a bit of the opposite. gary starts out of base and builds from there so not as moving parts and when you have an experienced defense that has seen the same offense for 3 weeks straight it makes things tough on the offense.

berryfrog95

I heard that UT info as well.....and that’s with a pedestrian run game.

Jamison is on line for playing Wr at this point

They are more talented at the skill outside positions now on O..... Buechele played with the ones more than Ehlinger this last practice bc O-line has played better which suits his game.

Sam will likely start tho bc O-line is still not a strength and Breakdowns are expected...

CryptoMiner

I have a hunch Texas Tech is going to be terrible. We'll see.

There are a bunch of teams that are huge unknowns for me especially Tech, ISU and KSU. ISU lost so much firepower at the WR position but looks like a good young team, KSU is always dangerous with The Coach but I just do not see it with them this year and Tech, well lets just see.

FrogLifeYo

Would not be surprised ig Kendall wins the job, seems to be a slight favorite at this point.
Word from OU insiders is that Kyler will get the nod on Wed of this week..I think there was a back room deal put together that he would get the start as a reward for coming back to school..Kendall seems to give them a better shot with his arm

Latest posts