• The KillerFrogs

Dixon?

Wexahu

Indiana has 39 NCAA tournament bids and 5 National championships. TCU has 8 NCAA bids and no final fours in its history. This kind of record breeds an understandable difference in the type of fan expectation between the two schools.

And I said it's not like we should expect to be hanging with Kansas every year. And you're right, there's no doubt there's a difference in fan expectations at schools like KU and IU, as there should be.

But you tell me, what should be the expectations for the next couple years? Is it ok for a fan like me to be frustrated watching what I think is pretty bad fundamental basketball?

BABYFACE

Please tell me one single thing I said that was "over the top." In all seriousness, point to one single thing. My points were 1) Let's move forward from the NIT and keep progression 2) our offense has been below average.

If that's over the top then I can't help you. To you, anything short of petitioning The Vatican to qualify every TCU coach for sainthood is "over the top" and "away from the mainstream." Jesus god, you need to get outside your bubble. You have absolutely no idea what the world is like if you think these 2 points are "over the top."

giphy.gif

Seems as if people are just talking over or past one another rather than seeing the points each side of this topic have made, which I get happens but for some reason I just couldn’t take it anymore.

Not sure if it’s the member(s) trolling or the usual know-it-all’s that were my breaking point this time. Either way, this thread needs more images of Ana de Armas in my humble opinion.

ana-de-armas-gq-mexico-april-2018-7.jpg
Geez man, ALL of these message board thingies are a beating.

Pharm Frog

Seems as if people are just talking over or past one another rather than seeing the points each side of this topic have made, which I get happens but for some reason I just couldn’t take it anymore.

Not sure if it’s the member(s) trolling or the usual know-it-all’s that were my breaking point this time. Either way, this thread needs more images of Ana de Armas in my humble opinion.

ana-de-armas-gq-mexico-april-2018-7.jpg

I knew I could count on you to offer up an attractive answer to my manipulative query.

Dogfrog

And I said it's not like we should expect to be hanging with Kansas every year. And you're right, there's no doubt there's a difference in fan expectations at schools like KU and IU, as there should be.

But you tell me, what should be the expectations for the next couple years? Is it ok for a fan like me to be frustrated watching what I think is pretty bad fundamental basketball?

No you tell me, because you will regardless.

Double D

Tier 1
I didn't say anyone said TCU was good in 2010-2011. It was merely my first hand experience of TCU basketball.

Why is it flawed to mention 2010-2011? If you don't include seasons that far back your sample size is too small.
Its college basketball. Variables that you mention mean nothing. Ultimately, it all comes down to wins and losses.
That is how coaches are measured.

I have no idea why you wrote the long response to my post? I wasn't asking for anyone's opinion or your's. It was my opinion and my opinion alone.

pretty sure no one has taken the stance that tcu was good in 2010-11 nor did anyone say positive things haven't happened.

using 2010-11 as a benchmark has some flaws as the program in that time was not given the resources dedicated to the current program or the facilities.

i will say the level of competition is much more difficult and improvement in the programs is not always going to directly result in a better overall record. the 2017 was a very good team and ended up .500 in big 12 play.

my biggest disagreement with some is what the program was 8 years ago or even the past 20 years should not be the measuring stick for the current state of the program because the variables are not the same be it competition level, national profile and exposure, facilities, and available resources.

additionally, it is not out of line to link that with 3 recruiting classes a roster can be completely turned over and a program re-shaped. we see it happen in numerous programs and dixon and his staff have signed 14 players in his first three classes.

things don't always work as planned, that is life, and jamie and his staff should be given time. i don't think anyone has said they shouldn't but expressing frustration should also not be treated as treason or blasphemy.

always thought the purpose of a message board was discussion, but i guess that is just another area i am completely wrong about.

Eight

I didn't say anyone said TCU was good in 2010-2011. It was merely my first hand experience of TCU basketball.

Why is it flawed to mention 2010-2011? If you don't include seasons that far back your sample size is too small.
Its college basketball. Variables that you mention mean nothing. Ultimately, it all comes down to wins and losses.

I have no idea why you wrote the long response to my post? I wasn't asking for anyone's opinion or your's. It was my opinion and my opinion alone.

always thought the purpose of a message board was discussion, but i guess that is just another area i am completely wrong about.

so the fact that tcu's basketball program in 2010-11 was underfunded and playing in bad facilities by mid-majors standards and that dixon has a new facility and more resources at his disposal means nothings?

AroundWorldFrog

2010-2011 was when basketball was invented.

Farmfrog

I read this thread and think about what a dumpster fire TCU basketball was during the 2010-2011 season. Estridge called me to produce TCU basketball radio broadcasts for the second 1/2 of the season. I traveled to San Diego, Wyomjng and Albuquerque. I did not witness a win. That team was awful. So to read this thread just makes me laugh. TCU basketball has come a long way since then. To me, TCU basketball is in pretty good shape considering what I witnessed up close under then head coach Jim Christian.

Go Frogs!

That guy was, arguably, the second worst coach we’ve ever had. He did us a big favor by leaving because we were spiraling down fast. He couldn’t coach or recruit to save his life.

If you’re old enough you will remember who the worst is. I won’t type his sorry name.

robbroyy

Bottom line is it’s hard to win in today’s game without multiple 3 point threats unless you’re Duke and can out athlete everyone.

No Fisher or Noi really hurts the spacing.

Hope they get some more consistent shooters for next years team to overcome a few injuries

SuperTFrog

No, I fully understand the difference. But when you're paying a coach $3M/year they should look like a very well-coached team regardless of whether we won a national championship or sucked to high heaven 5 years ago, or whether we are TCU or Duke. All that has nothing to do with us not being a traditional power. We are losing too many games IMO because of silly mistakes and bad play, and as I've said, we don't look like a well-coached team to me.

It's funny to me how nobody seems to want to set expectations for the program or a time-frame for meeting them.
This is categorically wrong. Let’s see how KU does with Les Miles. Let’s see if they look like a well coached team or if they continue to lose games because of “silly mistakes” and “bad play”. They are freaking Kansas and they will continue to suck. We are freaking TCU and we have sucked at basketball for decades. Putting in a good coach doesn’t change things overnight (even though I would say he did). We are tying to change decades of terrible play, it takes time. A good coach cannot take one of the worst teams in major college basketball and turn them into a sweet 16 team in 3 years.

Eight

This is categorically wrong. Let’s see how KU does with Les Miles. Let’s see if they look like a well coached team or if they continue to lose games because of “silly mistakes” and “bad play”. They are freaking Kansas and they will continue to suck. We are freaking TCU and we have sucked at basketball for decades. Putting in a good coach doesn’t change things overnight (even though I would say he did). We are tying to change decades of terrible play, it takes time. A good coach cannot take one of the worst teams in major college basketball and turn them into a sweet 16 team in 3 years.

who said an appropriate expectation was the sweet 16 in 3 years?

you also mention tcu "sucking for decades", but the 2005 team went to the nit quarterfinals which raises the question of how does a program that has sucked for decades manage to go three rounds deep in a post-season tournament we are told winning is a big accomplishment some 11 years (which i believe is just over 1 decade) later in 2016.

Last edited:

Wexahu

There's not much comparison to building an 85-man football roster to building a 12-man basketball team. Chris Beard didn't inherit a very good team at all and he made the Elite Eight in his 2nd year. Not that there's an exact comparison there, but it's not unprecedented for a good coach to almost instantly turn around a program. What we did 10, 15, 20 years ago is almost irrelevant considering how much money and resources have been pumped into the program since then.

Last edited:

SuperTFrog

There's not much comparison to building an 85-man football roster to building a 12-man basketball team. Chris Beard didn't inherit a very good team at all and he made the Elite Eight in his 2nd year. Not that's there's an exact comparison there, but it's not unprecedented for a good coach to almost instantly turn around a program. What we did 10, 15, 20 years ago is almost irrelevant considering how much money and resources have been pumped into into the program since then.
While I agree that a football team is much harder to turn around, there are way more examples of big name coaches not turning a program around than who do turn it around.

Eight

top of my head billy clyde did it at utep and atm, penders at texas, anderson at missouri, marjerus a couple of times, and bennett at wazzu

all turned around programs in a fairly short amount of time. not a norm, but not exactly a unicorn event