• The KillerFrogs

Who Starts at Left Tackle?

angelo's frog

Dunbar is a RS soph, Wellington is a RS freshman and Tayo if eligible is a RS frosh too, right? So starting Olson, a senior, at the most critical OL position makes sense to me. Let those guys get another year of experience under their belt and then see who wins the job. Plus, I have a lot of confidence in Olson. If you remember, he won the RT job in the spring last year and then got mono and didn't fully recover in time for the start of the season so he lost his job to Roth. I think this will be Olson's year to shine. We probably won't see Cannon/Newhouse type performance out of him but I think he will do fine.

BTW, wanted to add that he was a high school tight end and D-lineman. That indicates that Olson should have the athleticism for the LT job.

FrogsMcGee

DUNBAR is a starter, either at LT or RT only pending injury. PERIOD !!

HORN is the other starter at tackle. PERIOD !!

How about this...

If I'm wrong, then I'll stop posting on KFC forever. If you are wrong, you do the same. Either way, I'll be rid of your mindless nonsense.

FrogsMcGee

Sigh. You signed out of your troll account and back into your regular user account. I'll wait for you to sign back into your teabag troll account for you to respond to my ultimatum.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
I know who might not start for us at LT anytime soon: Keenan. Apparently he just committed to Tech.

Won't know for sure for a few more years but hate to see that go by without a fight. Have to believe the staff has at least one tackle slot filled by the way they are acting.

FrogsMcGee

Could be a Carter Wall type situation, although I recognize Keenan is more highly recruited. At least at one time, he would have been ready to commit to TCU on the spot if offered. I'm still going to believe that we could get him to switch if it comes to that until I read a quote from him otherwise. Maybe that will happen today, we'll see.

AggieAngst

Several misconceptions going on about OLSON.

1) He has been in the program now for 4 yrs and has never won a permanent starting position. When a kid is a player he is almost always a player who emerges at the soph level, not the senior level. A few DEs have emerged at the senior level lately, however, that is the exception not the rule. If a kid is a impact player he emerges as a soph usually. Talent almost always shows itself early. Olson has never been named a starter. There is a good reason for that.

2) Olson has never weighed 300 lbs which is what it takes to play tackle these days. GoFrogs has him very generously listed as 6'4"/300 this year, when his stats are closer to 6'3"/288. DUNBAR is a legit 6'6"/305 and will be over 310 at Fall Camp. DUNBAR has the frame to put on an additional 20 pounds and be 6'6"/330, which would be intimidating for opposing defenses. DUNBAR is also much more athletic than OLSON is. DUNBAR also has a much longer wingspan (tackles need long arms for great pass protection).

3) Everything that went on in Spring Ball with tackle simply fooled all of you. What was done there was done to motivate DUNBAR and HORN (the youngsters) that the job wouldnt be handed to them and they needed to work hard and work overtime to win the jobs. I dont
think one person here knows that. DUNBAR and HORN are the OLine future, not OLSON.

4) OLSON is a senior and has never won a starting tackle job. DUNBAR never has either, so they are essentially equal in game time experience. DUNBAR has huge future potential. OLSON is a senior and has no future potential (past this season).

5) DUNBAR has NFL potential and a much much bigger upside. OLSON has zero NFL potential and no upside. What you see is what you get from OLSON.

6) OLSON was named starter by the Staff after the spring be because it is a meaningless title in the spring. It was done to motivate DUNBAR. DUNBAR is still expected by the staff to win the spot, but they are trying to get in his head a bit and light a fire under him.

Get it now? Geeeez !! Some of you take everything so literally that it is painful to watch sometimes !!

I suppose you also believe that when CGP says "we only want to beat WYOMING by one point" - I suppose you also believe that too?

Anyone here even heard the term "coachspeak"? Not one fact and not one thing but "coachspeak" comes out of spring ball. Spring ball aint the time for truth. It is the time for motivation. How long have some of you been fans?

Yikes !!

angelo's frog

Several misconceptions going on about OLSON.

1) He has been in the program now for 4 yrs and has never won a permanent starting position. When a kid is a player he is almost always a player who emerges at the soph level, not the senior level. A few DEs have emerged at the senior level lately, however, that is the exception not the rule. If a kid is a impact player he emerges as a soph usually. Talent almost always shows itself early. Olson has never been named a starter. There is a good reason for that.

2) Olson has never weighed 300 lbs which is what it takes to play tackle these days. GoFrogs has him very generously listed as 6'4"/300 this year, when his stats are closer to 6'3"/288. DUNBAR is a legit 6'6"/305 and will be over 310 at Fall Camp. DUNBAR has the frame to put on an additional 20 pounds and be 6'6"/330, which would be intimidating for opposing defenses. DUNBAR is also much more athletic than OLSON is. DUNBAR also has a much longer wingspan (tackles need long arms for great pass protection).

3) Everything that went on in Spring Ball with tackle simply fooled all of you. What was done there was done to motivate DUNBAR and HORN (the youngsters) that the job wouldnt be handed to them and they needed to work hard and work overtime to win the jobs. I dont
think one person here knows that. DUNBAR and HORN are the OLine future, not OLSON.

4) OLSON is a senior and has never won a starting tackle job. DUNBAR never has either, so they are essentially equal in game time experience. DUNBAR has huge future potential. OLSON is a senior and has no future potential (past this season).

5) DUNBAR has NFL potential and a much much bigger upside. OLSON has zero NFL potential and no upside. What you see is what you get from OLSON.

6) OLSON was named starter by the Staff after the spring be because it is a meaningless title in the spring. It was done to motivate DUNBAR. DUNBAR is still expected by the staff to win the spot, but they are trying to get in his head a bit and light a fire under him.

Get it now? Geeeez !! Some of you take everything so literally that it is painful to watch sometimes !!

I suppose you also believe that when CGP says "we only want to beat WYOMING by one point" - I suppose you also believe that too?

Anyone here even heard the term "coachspeak"? Not one fact and not one thing but "coachspeak" comes out of spring ball. Spring ball aint the time for truth. It is the time for motivation. How long have some of you been fans?

Yikes !!

Sorry dude but I have a policy of not responding to you or other trolls, so don't waste your energy on the keyboard replying to me.

Houston Frog

Olson started 4 games at RT last season, has played in 19 games over the past two seasons, and has been in the program for five years now. He has a lot of experience.

And as anyone who has ever played OL knows, it's not all about size and physical ability. Sure, Dunbar has a higher ceiling, but that doesn't mean he wins the job. OL is a thinking man's position.... you have to "get it"

Now, if I hadn't happened to have the conversation I did, I might assume Dunbar was gonna start as well, but you seem to be ignoring the fact that I talked to a current OL, and he said that Olson would likely start at LT. So, unless you have a better source than a current starter on the OL, I think I'll defer to my guy.

FrogsMcGee

Ah. I see that you have logged back onto your troll account. Will you please respond to my requested ultimatum.

If Olson starts at tackle, you agree to leave KFC (inlcuding to not come back under a different handle). We'll all know and you agree as part of this bet that you will be IP banned under any username.

If Olson isn't a starter at either tackle position, I'll gladly do the same.

You all talk or no?

AggieAngst

KEENAN was never ever going to get an offer from Tcu. Dont know why some of you here were creaming yourselves over a Tier 3/4 OLineman.

OLINEMAN LESSON # 1

There are two types of OLinemen -

BIG FAT AND SLOW
or
BIG FAST AND ATHLETIC

You need the FAT AND SLOWs for the running game. Wisc is the best I have seen at getting large numbers of FAT AND SLOWs. They are the worst I have seen in getting FAST AND ATHLETIC.

The BIG FAT SLOWs are great in the running game but get you beat when you try to throw the ball in the passing game. Ask Wisc how that works, as this yr they realized their mistake and are still recruiting the BIG FATS but now Wisc is also after a few of the BIG FAST ATHLETIC tackles also. They learned that lesson the very hard way with an emotionally devastating loss in Pasadena, that they are still hurting from.

The FAT and SLOWs are very good for the running game, but not too good in the passing game. Tcu saw that very clearly in the Rose Bowl Game as the multiple Wisc All-American OLinemen mowed down Tcu defenders in the running game, but allowed Tcu
to constantly sack their QB with devastating drive killing blitzes that had the Wisc QB bloddy and beaten and limping by the end of the game.

BIG FAST ATHLETIC OLinemen are what is needed for the passing game.

Tcu got only BIG AND FATS last year in their OLine recruiting class. No BIG FAST ATHLETIC types. Tcu in this year's class is trying desperately to find the BIG FAST ATHLETIC tackles and Tcu needs two of them. KEENAN, COLLINS, GREEN, SCHOMP, ADCOCK, IFEDI, HOPKINS, BAGGETT, etc simply dont qualify !!!! PERIOD !!! Collins is the only possible exception. He is fast (but not quick - there is a difference you know !) but he would be an enormously burdensome project because he is so raw. He may be worth it, but I just dont know. Personally, if it was me, I would look in another direction for a guy who had the potential to play sooner.

I am guessing that Tcu coaches would prefer to not take any BIG FAT SLOWS this yr, than to take a Tier 3 or Tier 4 guy like KEENAN or the rest. I think if Tcu coaches cant find the BIG FAST ATHLETIC ones they want, they will just shut down OLine recruiting this year and try again next year, because Tcu is chock fulla BIG SLOW FATS right now.

So who is Tcu looking at?

I hear (rumor) that they are looking at JOR WILLIAMS and DAN GLAUSER (both of them are BIG FAST ATHLETIC tackles). They are also scouring the country out of state, looking for more "BIG FAST ATHLETIC" tackles. They are also hot on the trail of about 4 "BIG FAST ATHLETICs", who have already committed to other colleges and who "might" reconsider if Tcu offers.

I never ever ever wanted KEENAN and I was hoping against hope he would commit elsewhere - soon !! Even though he had a good offer list, all those colleges who want him are either terrible teams or teams who are dropping the spread offense and going back to the run (Michigan) and they want BIG SLOW FATS like WIsc. Very few GREAT teams with high octane passing games (like Tcu) had any desire whatsoever for KEENAN !!!!

Anyone here who actually wanted KEENAN just doesnt know what is going on and is pretty clueless. It would have actually HURT the Tcu offense, in my opinion, to take KEENAN (would have hurt the passing game badly by a BIG FAT SLOW taking up yet another of the precious very few tackle spots left - when Tcu desperately needs a guy totally different than him).

I see Tcu getting LUTUI for OG (Tier 2 OG who may rise to Tier 1 this Fall). I also see Tcu getting either Jor Williams or Dan Glauser and still trying to get one more guy who is presently committed to another college - to change his mind prior to signing day.

That is where OL recruiting is headed - I believe. I think the next OLine commit is going to come out of left field and surprise everyone. STAY TUNED !!
Agreed. I liked Keenan, but I trust the staff.

AggieAngst

As I stated, OLSON has almost no starting experience. He has started 4 games in his career. DUNBAR has zero.

4 vs 0 in starting experience is the same as EVEN. Playing in 19 games in 5 yrs in mop up duty in the 4th qtr of blowouts, is worthless and you know it. Quit make up ridiculous fairy tales.

Especially when one player has had 4 years to win a starting spot and hasnt been able to, while the other player is bigger, more athletic, has more potential and is challenging for a starting spot as a soph.

I talked to someone close to the program too. He said all the nonsensical talk (that fans are eating with a spoon) was just to light a fire under JD.

Ohhhh....and by the way.......sitting on the bench isnt "experience" !!!! Hilarious !!
Olson started 4 games at RT last season, has played in 19 games over the past two seasons, and has been in the program for five years now. He has a lot of experience.

And as anyone who has ever played OL knows, it's not all about size and physical ability. Sure, Dunbar has a higher ceiling, but that doesn't mean he wins the job. OL is a thinking man's position.... you have to "get it"

Now, if I hadn't happened to have the conversation I did, I might assume Dunbar was gonna start as well, but you seem to be ignoring the fact that I talked to a current OL, and he said that Olson would likely start at LT. So, unless you have a better source than a current starter on the OL, I think I'll defer to my guy.

AggieAngst

How about you leave NOW and if you win you get to come back in Sept or Oct ?

That is the deal I like !!!!
Ah. I see that you have logged back onto your troll account. Will you please respond to my requested ultimatum.

If Olson starts at tackle, you agree to leave KFC (inlcuding to not come back under a different handle). We'll all know and you agree as part of this bet that you will be IP banned under any username.

If Olson isn't a starter at either tackle position, I'll gladly do the same.

You all talk or no?