• The KillerFrogs

Waymon is out for the year

VictoryLap

I mean it looked exactly like a blown ACL...the way his knee just gave out, you hoped for the best but expected the worst.

This being our first year in the Big 12 is amazing, but I for one will be really happy for the program when the calendar turns to 2013. One depressing headline after another since February.
This is exactly what I said to the people I was watching the game with- I said ACL out for the year and then he got up and walked off. Must have been adrenaline.

matmoo123

This is exactly what I said to the people I was watching the game with- I said ACL out for the year and then he got up and walked off. Must have been adrenaline.

With a strong dude like that he can get up, walk, and do normal stuff, just can't jump, cut, or accelerate. If old guys like us blow out an ACL, they sometimes let it go. NFL caliber running backs, not so much.

VictoryLap

Im not a doctor, but that doesnt look like an "out for the season" injury or reaction to the injury.
My buddy who blew out his ACL playing college soccer was telling me that the vast majority of ACL injuries are non-contact injuries (just like this one). See Jamaal Charles stepping on the 1st down marker last year as a recent reminder for you fantasy football players.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
I understand James was near death with no present medical means to fix him so we placed him in the cryo unit in the athletic training facility where he will remain frozen until he can be repaired and made healthy. He will still have a year of eligibility.

FROGDADDY

With a strong dude like that he can get up, walk, and do normal stuff, just can't jump, cut, or accelerate. If old guys like us blow out an ACL, they sometimes let it go. NFL caliber running backs, not so much.

Also a big difference between completely blowing it out and just having a small tear. Both end your year, but one is WAY uglier and harder to recover from.

VictoryLap

this is unlisted. don't post it anywhere

There is a reason he didn't get that first down and it isn't because he slipped.

Maybe a blessing in disguise- Waymon gets the medical redshirt, the rest of the team grows up around him, and he gets to lead a dangerous team next year to a shot at the Big 12 title and maybe even the big one.

old90seven

MRI would have been done on Sat or Sun with results soon after the imaging- it definitely could be a noncontact ACL injury, but not sure why Patterson's response was 'game-time decision' if there was indeed a season-ending injury before a nonconference game in which we're favored.

There is a reason he didn't get that first down and it isn't because he slipped.

Maybe a blessing in disguise- Waymon gets the medical redshirt, the rest of the team grows up around him, and he gets to lead a dangerous team next year to a shot at the Big 12 title and maybe even the big one.

Yeah but how did he get off the field by himself and so quickly?

FROGDADDY

Yeah but how did he get off the field by himself and so quickly?

Not every ACL injury involves having to be carted off be field. MLB pitchers often continue to pitch with tears in their UCL. Waymon may well be perfectly fine walking/running in a straight line. Stopping/cutting would be a whole different story.

Hefley001

By the way he grabbed the front of his knee it looks like an ACL. Being a RB and by the size of that guys Quad's, it is possible for him to walk off on his own. The strength in his quadrecep alone can compensate for his ACL tear and let him walk. I hope it's nothing and the kid is alright.

Planks

Waymon James isn't staying past next year even if he gets a medical redshirt. Runningback in the NFL is a young mans position more than any other. For Waymon's own sake he needs to get to the NFL. Six years in college for a runningback is a waste of "money earning" years for a runningback like James.

There is a reason why so many elite college runningbacks (Peterson, Bush, etc.) only stay three years in college.