• The KillerFrogs

Think it wil happen?

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Personally, I think if Dixon was leaving,he would have done so by now.

Which begs the question, If the buyout is the hang up and apparently it is, will we have a disgruntled coach in our hands next year?

As we learned with Pat Sullivan, when a coach wants to leave, its probably best to work out a deal and cut him loose. Sullivan’s heart was not into this job after we held firm on the LSU deal and we paid the price for it. Yes it led to our getting Dennis Franchione and ultimately Gary Patterson but lightning may not strike twice, like that.

Can’t believe I am saying this because JD shouldn’t have sighed the deal if he wasn’t willing to abide by the terms of it, but cut him loose and let’s move on.

Eight

Which begs the question, If the buyout is the hang up and apparently it is, will we have a disgruntled coach in our hands next year?

As we learned with Pat Sullivan, when a coach wants to leave, its probably best to work out a deal and cut him loose. Sullivan’s heart was not into this job after we held firm on the LSU deal and we paid the price for it. Yes it led to our getting Dennis Franchione and ultimately Gary Patterson but lightning may not strike twice, like that.

Can’t believe I am saying this because JD shouldn’t have sighed the deal if he wasn’t willing to abide by the terms of it, but cut him loose and let’s move on.

my one thought on this is if dixon's buyout from pitt really was 10m at the time he moved to tcu and it took pitt softening the buyout why in the world would he sign a contract with tcu that has a significant buyout in it.

just because your first ex-wife was willing to rework the prenup when you both decided the marriage was over doesn't mean you should expect wife #2 will be as accommodating when you tell you that you think you found love with someone else.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
After reading and digesting much of the commentary here the last couple of days (And thus, the literal shower of thanks be upon you for creating this wonderful place!), I believe that 1.) Dixon loves it here, but has always had some "Dream Job" spots that he would drop everything and go to if offered. UCLA may well be one of them. 2.) Dixon and his agent may well have been working quietly with UCLA for the last few weeks, but UCLA blabbed about it and put everybody on our side into a tough spot. 3.) UCLA isn't settled on one guy, but has several groups all pitching their own candidates. Yes, they have publicly named Dixon, but they are still talking to other candidates. 4.) UCLA thinks they have the most glamorous and desirable job any basketball coach could ever want. I'm sure some of them are wondering why they aren't having to beat away hungry job seekers with sticks. Their hardball tactics with Dixon and the buyout reflect this, expecting a "lesser" candidate to make sacrifices just to get the job. 5.) Dixon only napalmed the bridges if he lied to TCU, and Donati in particular. I don't think that has happened, otherwise things would be far more frosty.

UCLA simply needs to call the ball. It's their play.

BABYFACE

Wes, I think Dixon wants to be here. UCLA calling is maybe one of the few places Dixon would seriously consider over TCU. It is not like he got disgruntled and was looking to leave TCU.

If the UCLA thing falls thru, then yeah, JD will be disappointed. Bitter? No, he still be coaching at a school he sees finishing up his coaching career.

Pat Sullivan was different. He took the TCU job as a stepping stone. He was looking to leave before he even set foot on campus.

I got a buddy who is happy working at his place of employment. But, that doesn’t stop him throwing his hat in the ring every once in awhile for what he considers to be a dream job. This is kind of how I view the Dixon/UCLA thing.

Kudos to TCU standing firm on the buyout.

Last edited:

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1

A lot of the same can be said of Schlossnagle.

Sometimes that greener grass turns out to be a paler shade...

West Coast Johnny

If Jamie really wants to go we need to allow him to go. Donati knows this and he will lower the buy-out to allow him to go (if he really wants to go). The other option is to give Jamie a raise.... $$$$$$$

HG73

This job is now good enough that we can get an excellent coach if JD leaves.

I want him to stay, but if he goes we should be fine.

Farmfrog

I think Jamie likes it here but this isn’t where he sees himself retiring from. I think he would do a good job if he stays but the good will he’s gotten is diminishing quickly, at least, for me.

Wexahu

And then there's this thing where we are paying the guy big, big money and the outlook for Year 4 of his tenure doesn't look much brighter than Year 1. That's the most problematic thing of all IMO.

robbroyy

JD needs to solidify the roster so no we don’t need to let him leave. Also the 8m will come in handy in case we need to buy out Cross or have another big name come in to rebuild the roster.

You don’t sacrifice 2-3 years of your program for one week or even one year of uncomfortable feelings

Eight

JD needs to solidify the roster so no we don’t need to let him leave. Also the 8m will come in handy in case we need to buy out Cross or have another big name come in to rebuild the roster.

You don’t sacrifice 2-3 years of your program for one week or even one year of uncomfortable feelings

i haven't seen cross' contract, but doublt the buyout from troy won't be 8m, but i do agree that if dixon leaves tcu should not be the one footing the bill on the next coaches buyout.

pay it forward jamie if you want to go to la

Land Frog

Darn baylor!
I'm disappointed in Dixon's lack of leadership. Seems like a lot has gone on in the program this year. If he held the team meeting yesterday and truly didn't discuss the elephant in the room, I dont see how the players can trust him.

Place me in the camp that I hope he leaves. For what he gets paid, he should have better results.

Thank you. Next.

This recent debacle will undoubtedly cast grave concerns regarding Dixon's credibility, commitment, dedication and

the possibility of this becoming a recurring issue in the future. A lot of baggage.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Can someone explain why we would lower his buyout? I would think if he wants to leave, we want every dime of that $8M.

What am I missing?
From what I have heard, his buyout at Pitt was in the neighborhood of 10 million and we paid 1 million. I don’t know if that is true.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The worst part about this to me, is that I feared Dixon flaming out at TCU and suffering the ignominy of being fired by his Alma Mater. I certainly didn't expect the ridiculous ordeal of a blundering UCLA being unable to make a hard decision and throwing everybody into turmoil.

Go figure...