• The KillerFrogs

Think it wil happen?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The worst part about this to me, is that I feared Dixon flaming out at TCU and suffering the ignominy of being fired by his Alma Mater. I certainly didn't expect the ridiculous ordeal of a blundering UCLA being unable to make a hard decision and throwing everybody into turmoil.

Go figure...

Brog

From a preacher friend of mine, this analogy: Okay, I'm preacher in this great church. Wonderful people. Great community to live in. Very good salary. Growing congregation. But here this great BIG, famous church halfway across the continent calls me. I grew up there. My parents still live there. My sister and brother live there. A bigger salary. I'm thinking, would I begin to wonder if it wasn't the Lord calling me there?

WhatTheFrog

My take (for what it's worth)...

Jamie wanted to be here when he came here. Otherwise, he wouldn't have agreed to a substantial buyout in his TCU contract. He HAD to know that he would improve our program once he got here and we wouldn't want to push him out the door once we saw improvement.

IF there had been any program that he would want to leave for, he should have pushed for that exemption in his contract. If that school was UCLA, UK, KU, Duke, UNC, etc. he should have pursued that.

He should realize that the fact that UCLA isn't willing to pay the buyout for him that TCU put into the contract that he signed should be proof to him that they don't want him as bad as we do.

It boils down to how badly he wants to coach at UCLA. If UCLA won't pay the buyout (they don't want him THAT badly), but he REALLY wants to coach there, he can basically take a pay cut to go to the destination that he really wants to be at. What's more important, hometown and family location, or pay? After the buyout is paid off, he makes his salary and all is good. Basically, if they pay him $5mil a year and he pays $4mil a year for 2 years to pay off his buyout, and he made $3mil a year here and he can somehow manage to find a way to make it on what he has banked while here and the $1mil he'll make the next two years there until the buyout is complete, then that's up to him. Whew, that was convoluted.

He has the chance to be the Patterson of TCU basketball here, or an also-ran at UCLA.

I think his ego is playing a large role in this decision, as well. Everyone is different and has different priorities.

tl;dr

tetonfrog

What if Donati negotiated the buyout to $4 million and UCLA still said no. I would like to think that Donati has a candidate in mind with a buyout in that range. Can't believe our AD does not have a plan put in now, even if it is to promote from within or go get another head coach with money in pocket to pay for buyout.

It would not surprise me if they call back on Tuesday and pay the buyout after Beard, Bennett and Cincy's coach all said no thanks. Then they go back to their 4th choice of Dixon instead of their 8th choice of ????? It will depend on how desperate UCLA is on Tuesday after the Final Four is over. And, at that point, they may have to pay the whole buyout.

Obviously, I am just guessing. The only people who know for sure are Dixon, Donati and UCLA.

But if JD does stay, let's not compare him to Sullivan. The biggest reason is that JD is paid a lot more than Sully ever was and the basketball facilities are miles ahead of where they were for Sully. And I cannot imagine a competitor like Dixon quitting like Sully did here.

Frog89

Hope no bitterness from JD if he does stay.. nobody from TCU is preventing him from leaving. He's either worth the buyout to UCLA or he's not. He may want to look at the football program again if he wants to see a trajectory. He's got hoops on similar path and can build on that if he wants. At UCLA, he'll be the 2nd or 3rd option at a school that may fire him after 3 years. I don't blame him for wanting the UCLA job and won't be mad if he goes. But if they don't want to pay the buyout, I hope he's not bitter with TCU for simply expecting all sides to honor the contract that was signed. We want a long term success at basketball just like football and baseball. The $8M was a component of that plan so why would we eliminate that now? As for what happens, no idea... wouldn't even try to guess.

WhatTheFrog

From a preacher friend of mine, this analogy: Okay, I'm preacher in this great church. Wonderful people. Great community to live in. Very good salary. Growing congregation. But here this great BIG, famous church halfway across the continent calls me. I grew up there. My parents still live there. My sister and brother live there. A bigger salary. I'm thinking, would I begin to wonder if it wasn't the Lord calling me there?

<offtopic> If your preacher friend is in it for the pay and prestige, he's in it for the wrong reasons. You can't compare a church calling to a regular job. Yes, regular jobs can and do have callings, but money and prestige should never play a role in that decision. Your real rewards are in Heaven, not here on earth where we are called to suffer.</offtopic>

4th. down

IMO, let him go. This is taking too long and is not good for the existing players or the recruits.

Jamie obviously wants to go and it no doubt hasn't worked out good for him so far. His family and his wife's family are in CA and his Dad has cancer. Don't believe he has handled this right but wish him well. IMO, we need to get on Miller.

Tumbleweed

I'll give it until tomorrow noon. If nothing has transpired from Dixon, UCLA or TCU then everyone is back to square one. But Dixon has hurt himself that is for sure. How that plays out will be interesting. I agree on the thought that, Dixon and his wife had a dream of moving back to that area.

WhatTheFrog

Hope no bitterness from JD if he does stay.. nobody from TCU is preventing him from leaving. He's either worth the buyout to UCLA or he's not. He may want to look at the football program again if he wants to see a trajectory. He's got hoops on similar path and can build on that if he wants. At UCLA, he'll be the 2nd or 3rd option at a school that may fire him after 3 years. I don't blame him for wanting the UCLA job and won't be mad if he goes. But if they don't want to pay the buyout, I hope he's not bitter with TCU for simply expecting all sides to honor the contract that was signed. We want a long term success at basketball just like football and baseball. The $8M was a component of that plan so why would we eliminate that now? As for what happens, no idea... wouldn't even try to guess.
He shouldn't be bitter. If he REALLY wants to go there, he can make that happen. He'll just have to take a hit in pay for a couple of years. It really is up to him.

That's why I said this boils down, largely, to an ego thing.

CountryFrog

All this speculation about what Dixon wants, why he wants it, what he should be doing, how he will feel here or there next year, etc is exactly that. Speculation. Donati is the only one in a position right now to have a good idea of what is truly going on. I'm sure he wouldn't keep Dixon here if he thought it would result in a bad working environment. So if Dixon does stay then I think we have to assume that those things have been discussed and largely resolved. I would imagine that JD would have an easier time moving on and working at his school that he played for and (supposedly) loves than he would some random school that is nothing more than his current employer.

And btw I'm not saying people here shouldn't engage in speculation because that's what forums like this are largely for. It's just difficult to draw too many definitive conclusions based on 3 or 4 different speculative premises.

WhatTheFrog

All this speculation about what Dixon wants, why he wants it, what he should be doing, how he will feel here or there next year, etc is exactly that. Speculation. Donati is the only one in a position right now to have a good idea of what is truly going on. I'm sure he wouldn't keep Dixon here if he thought it would result in a bad working environment. So if Dixon does stay then I think we have to assume that those things have been discussed and largely resolved. I would imagine that JD would have an easier time moving on and working at his school that he played for and (supposedly) loves than he would some random school that is nothing more than his current employer.

And btw I'm not saying people here shouldn't engage in speculation because that's what forums like this are largely for. It's just difficult to draw too many definitive conclusions based on 3 or 4 different speculative premises.
You are completely right, everything here is total speculation. No one but Dixon knows what is going on in his head. The benefit that we have is that we can look objectively from the outside and view this with logic AND emotional lenses on. Who knows what lens is the stronger one that he is using? All we're doing is laying out all of the possibilities that may be going on in his head. Some make sense, some don't. That's the difference between logic and emotion.

Hornedfrog431

Big if...if Dixon leaves you hire Ryan Miller. He’s ready. If Ryan his hired than hopefully Ryan lands his brother mike. Mike used to have a bigtime AAU program from the looks of it in Memphis. Memphis is in the running for a ton of top prospects still. Who knows what could happen then. But from the few interactions I’ve had he is a stand up guy and can recruit like crazy. Talent definitely matters.

Froggish

The Lord seems to talk to college coaches much more often then the casual guy

BABYFACE

My take (for what it's worth)...

He should realize that the fact that UCLA isn't willing to pay the buyout for him that TCU put into the contract that he signed should be proof to him that they don't want him as bad as we do.

tl;dr

This part of your post is the main thing going on in the current situation or Dixon dilemma.

CountryFrog

You are completely right, everything here is total speculation. No one but Dixon knows what is going on in his head. The benefit that we have is that we can look objectively from the outside and view this with logic AND emotional lenses on. Who knows what lens is the stronger one that he is using? All we're doing is laying out all of the possibilities that may be going on in his head. Some make sense, some don't. That's the difference between logic and emotion.
Totally agree. And no doubt some of the things being speculated on are actually totally true.