• The KillerFrogs

Stadium Renovation Deadline

SnoSki

I think I read in one of the CGP dinner threads that they had received a $15M donation putting the renovation only $10M or so short of the goal for June... what was the June date?

For some reason I thought it was June 1, and I'd hate for it to be this close but not enough money for the green light.

Opintel

Moderators
QUOTE(wes @ Jun 1 2010, 03:34 PM) [snapback]566811[/snapback]
I could be wrong but believe it to be June 30th.

Please, oh, please - let it happen. We need a new house to protect!

SnoSki

QUOTE(wes @ Jun 1 2010, 03:34 PM) [snapback]566811[/snapback]

Ahh gotcha. For some reason I thought it was 6/1.

Thanks wes!

FrogAbroad

QUOTE(wes @ Jun 1 2010, 02:34 PM) [snapback]566811[/snapback]

I'm a bit surprised that there are still significant doubts or questions about the ACS project.

I'm not the sharpest knife in any drawer, and usually I'm outside the loop of breaking news about anything, but it would seem someone, somewhere, might have a website...a blog...something to keep TCU athletics boosters apprised of things like plans and financial goals and deadlines and such.

Now perhaps something does exist (I'm outside the news loop, remember?) but among this group of fanatical Frogs there doesn't appear to be a lot of current information.

One would think it behooved those who want funding to keep funding information out where the public can see it, unless, of course, there's a need for keeping such information relatively restricted.

Does one of our members know if there's a site where we can go to be better informed on this important project?

Big Frog II

There is not a site for the stadium effort. There has been one for the $250 million campus wide campaign at tcu.edu. They are within $20 million of reaching that goal way ahead of schedule. All we know is what Gary said at the Houston coaches gathering last week. I do know he has been very involved in raising money for the project. After all how can you tell Gary no?

desmith03

QUOTE(Opintel @ Jun 1 2010, 03:36 PM) [snapback]566813[/snapback]
Please, oh, please - let it happen. We need a new house to protect!

Protecting the Carter since 1930... :tongue:

NativeFrog

Not good news that the deadline was moved back. Might mean they are having trouble reaching the goal. Let's hope there is good news soon about the fund-raising effort.

SnoSki

QUOTE(NativeFrog @ Jun 1 2010, 05:10 PM) [snapback]566876[/snapback]
Not good news that the deadline was moved back. Might mean they are having trouble reaching the goal. Let's hope there is good news soon about the fund-raising effort.

Your shtick gets under the skin well..

Limey Frog

QUOTE(FrogAbroad @ Jun 1 2010, 04:05 PM) [snapback]566839[/snapback]

I'm a bit surprised that there are still significant doubts or questions about the ACS project.

I'm not the sharpest knife in any drawer, and usually I'm outside the loop of breaking news about anything, but it would seem someone, somewhere, might have a website...a blog...something to keep TCU athletics boosters apprised of things like plans and financial goals and deadlines and such.

It was my understanding from someone who attended a meeting about the project that this first phase of fund raising is focused almost exclusively on major donors who can lay down cash in the tens of millions for 25 year leases on a new box. Once the benchmark to give the green light is reached I suppose they will then start approaching smaller donors. I guess that would be the point at which we would get a website and such. There doesn't seem much point in making a website for a project that technically might not happen, targeted at about two dozen people all of whom are probably already on Chris Del Conte's speed-dial.

Metropolis777

QUOTE(Limey Frog @ Jun 1 2010, 05:16 PM) [snapback]566880[/snapback]
It was my understanding from someone who attended a meeting about the project that this first phase of fund raising is focused almost exclusively on major donors who can lay down cash in the tens of millions for 25 year leases on a new box. Once the benchmark to give the green light is reached I suppose they will then start approaching smaller donors. I guess that would be the point at which we would get a website and such.

That's exactly what John Denton told me last week when I asked him when I could pledge my measly thousands to the effort.

froginaustin

QUOTE(NativeFrog @ Jun 1 2010, 05:10 PM) [snapback]566876[/snapback]

Doesn't surprise me a bit that TCU set an ambitious deadline to try to close the deal, ahead of the real "drop dead" deadline. Fund raisers do that sort of thing.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
QUOTE(FrogAbroad @ Jun 1 2010, 04:05 PM) [snapback]566839[/snapback]

Now perhaps something does exist (I'm outside the news loop, remember?) but among this group of fanatical Frogs there doesn't appear to be a lot of current information.

One would think it behooved those who want funding to keep funding information out where the public can see it, unless, of course, there's a need for keeping such information relatively restricted.

Does one of our members know if there's a site where we can go to be better informed on this important project?

The fast answer to that question is no and you are right about there not being a lot of information out there.

Here is what I know and this tidbit plus a buck might get you a cup of coffee so don't take this to the bank.

They got an initial 15 million from the Amon Carter foundation and that has funded a lot of the feasibility studies, etc to get this project off the ground. I have tried keeping my ear to the ground on all of this and direct answers are hard to get. In fact I have point blank asked Chris Del Conte how much has been raised and don't always get straight answers.

Mind you, I don't think that he is trying to deceive me or withhold information, I just think that he doesn't have an accurate figure to give me. I believe the reason for that is simple, some of the money isn't in our hands yet and we only have verbal commitments for the money. Either that or some of the commitments may not be firmed up yet and signatures are not on the dotted line.

From what I can gather, we have somewhere in the neighborhood of 65-85 million committed but that information is at least 6 weeks old so I am certain the figure has changed and is hopefully way north of the 65-85 range.

As for why they aren't letting people know more is anybody's guess but that really doesn't bother me at all. I think they are in a very private phase of this and haven't opened up the public phase. When that happens, we'll all know more

I hope that makes sense. We have two of the best fundraisers in the business doing the heavy lifting and feel confident this will happen, if not this year then next.

FrogAbroad

Thanks for the info. I sort of suspected there was a good reason for NOT having a plethora of information for the public to browse on, but I do admit to being both curious and concerned.

I can't toss in millions...or thousands...but I'd like to put some of my money into a place that has lots of memories for me as a brother, a son, a student, a fan...

[quote name='NativeFrog'
[/quote]

Imagine, the contrast of comparing a dazzling new Amon G. Carter to

that of an unsightly, outmoded, off campus dinosaur like Floyd Casey.

At least pave the parking lots...that might help to some extent. Doubtful!

NativeFrog

Amon Carter's lots are all paved, except one, I believe. Wes' insight on the subject is helpful, and hope he is right on. Also, hope the money can be raised to start the project this year.

Big Frog II

QUOTE(NativeFrog @ Jun 1 2010, 04:10 PM) [snapback]566876[/snapback]

Well I always heard the deadline was the end of June, so it wasn't moved back. That means your ragging about TCU is all for naught.

As reported at the Houston Coaches gathering by Gary himself, 95 million has been raised. I would assume Gary would know as well as anyone, wouldn't you?