• The KillerFrogs

SI: Cheez-It Bowl Preview: Cal Defense Should Control Game Against TCU

SuperTFrog

We played the #s 1, 2, 8, 10 and 12 ranked offenses in the country. You didn’t play a single top 20. Maybe that has something to do with giving up 25 more yards per game?
Droski, that my friend is a mic drop in this argument. It really doesn’t matter how many yards per play or yards per game you give up, what matter are those numbers relative to how everybody else did against those teams. In our case, I think we held every team under their average in yards and points with the exception of WVU and OU. I have no doubt that our defense is better, but I also have little doubt that our offense is worse. That is why this game will be great. Two great defenses against two really bad offenses. May the less mediocre team win!

droski

Droski, that my friend is a mic drop in this argument. It really doesn’t matter how many yards per play or yards per game you give up, what matter are those numbers relative to how everybody else did against those teams. In our case, I think we held every team under their average in yards and points with the exception of WVU and OU. I have no doubt that our defense is better, but I also have little doubt that our offense is worse. That is why this game will be great. Two great defenses against two really bad offenses. May the less mediocre team win!

well cal did the same via the regular season averages. football outsiders takes into account competition and ranks our D 12th and yours 23rd https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaadef

the fact is that Cal's D is better. that being said our offense is likely worse so there you go. the game is a pickem for a reason.

MTfrog5

maybe the defenses in the big 12 are garbage. . .
I mean I guess UGA had a garbage defense last year too when they faced a Big 12 team. Your defense is good but do you honestly think y’all wouldn’t give up more yards and points if you played in the Big 12?

droski

I mean I guess UGA had a garbage defense last year too when they faced a Big 12 team. Your defense is good but do you honestly think y’all wouldn’t give up more yards and points if you played in the Big 12?

you guys gave up 52 points to oklahoma. i'm suggesting i don't think the gap is quite what you boys think it is and that the metrics that take into account these things state pretty clearly that cal has the better defense.

MTfrog5

you guys gave up 52 points to oklahoma. i'm suggesting i don't think the gap is quite what you boys think it is and that the metrics that take into account these things state pretty clearly that cal has the better defense.
And? Best offense in the country without question. You think Cal would hold them to 20??? Give me a break.

Edit: if you want to cherry pick games, y’all gave up 42 to Oregon unless you think that offense is close to Oklahoma too.

jake102

OU is running out a top 5 OL, top 5 WR group.... and the best player in the country at QB (every year). Who in the Pac can even begin to have an offense who is top 5 at 3/4ths of the position groups? And OU was top 5 at RB last year with Anderson healthy.

droski

And? Best offense in the country without question. You think Cal would hold them to 20??? Give me a break.

Edit: if you want to cherry pick games, y’all gave up 42 to Oregon unless you think that offense is close to Oklahoma too.

you brought up oklahoma not me. we turned it over 5 times against oregon including 2 turnovers that got returned for TDs. that score wasn't on the defense.

droski

OU is running out a top 5 OL, top 5 WR group.... and the best player in the country at QB (every year). Who in the Pac can even begin to have an offense who is top 5 at 3/4ths of the position groups? And OU was top 5 at RB last year with Anderson healthy.

and again. the advanced metrics take into account you playing good offenses and they still say cal is significantly the better defense.

MTfrog5

you brought up oklahoma not me. we turned it over 5 times against oregon including 2 turnovers that got returned for TDs. that score wasn't on the defense.
You're right. I brought up OU scoring over 50 last year against UGA in the Rose Bowl. Yall still gave up 485 yards against Oregon.

Casey T

and again. the advanced metrics take into account you playing good offenses and they still say cal is significantly the better defense.

Those advanced metrics you quoted also list Kentucky, Cincinnati, Southern Miss, Northern Illinois, Marshall, App St, and Fresno St as having a better defense than TCU and I can guarantee you that isn't the case

droski

Those advanced metrics you quoted also list Kentucky, Cincinnati, Southern Miss, Northern Illinois, Marshall, App St, and Fresno St as having a better defense than TCU and I can guarantee you that isn't the case

so why aren't you guys heavy favorites against cal? vegas is wrong too?

CountryFrog

I don't know which team is better but you can't objectively argue that Cal has faced nearly the level of competition that TCU has this year in regards to opposing offenses.

That obviously doesn't mean TCU will win the game.

jake102

all teams have injuries. cal is out their best olinemen, best linebacker, best WR, and numerous other significant contributors either out or limited.

QB, one OL, one RB, one WR, two DTs, one LB, two safeties

Those are just the starters.

Frog-in-law1995

all teams have injuries. cal is out their best olinemen, best linebacker, best WR, and numerous other significant contributors either out or limited.

That’s it? lucky. Those are positions that don’t affect the line much, if at all. We’re on our 3rd string QB and RB. Our offense will be very limited as a result. That does affect the line. So, as I said, injuries are why it’s a pick.