• The KillerFrogs

SI: Cheez-It Bowl Preview: Cal Defense Should Control Game Against TCU

droski

I think the motivation angle makes sense. This bowl is a disappointment for TCU while Cal actually cares about [ Finebaum ]ty bowls at this point.

zfrawg

I think the motivation angle makes sense. This bowl is a disappointment for TCU while Cal actually cares about [ steaming pile of Orgeron ]ty bowls at this point.

I think fans are more disappointed than players. Better be the case anyway. I think the players busted their arse the last two weeks to get the chance to play one more.

Hopefully that continues to be the case with this game and they show up ready to play.

droski

I think fans are more disappointed than players. Better be the case anyway. I think the players busted their arse the last two weeks to get the chance to play one more.

Hopefully that continues to be the case with this game and they show up ready to play.

yeah hard to say. bowl game motivation is hard to gauge

ThisIsOurTime

As a fan, I am looking forward to this bowl game. It will be a nice break after Christmas and is a nice gift after all the challenges this season. I consider Cal a worthy opponent and one that I don't mind watching. This isn't like the Fiesta Bowl when after having a good season we were stuck playing Boise State again. We are grateful to play a P-5 opponent.

As coaches and players, I would think this is a game for them to show the fans and everyone else what might have been. Looking forward to see what they can do with a few more practices.

Bizarro Frog

If Cal’s offense is as bad as advertised they are going to have trouble scoring anything. Say what you will about the Big 12 but this conference plays the most extreme offense of the Power 5 conferences there is. If Coach P can shut most of those down then Cal will need a miracle. That said we have to score and take care of the ball on offense to win.

Purp

We played the #s 1, 2, 8, 10 and 12 ranked offenses in the country. You didn’t play a single top 20. Maybe that has something to do with giving up 25 more yards per game?
And we put up those numbers without Ross Blacklock the whole year, Innis Gaines for half the year, and Ty Summers for several games. Hell, the infirmary had more names than those. If you'd have told me we'd miss that much time from those guys I'd have expected a terrible year defensively if I didn't already know the stats. GMFP gets a ton of credit, but I still don't think he gets enough credit for being a defensive guru. If he could just figure out Lincoln Riley's offense he'd be impenetrable.