• The KillerFrogs

SI: Cheez-It Bowl Preview: Cal Defense Should Control Game Against TCU

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
SI: Cheez-It Bowl Preview: Cal Defense Should Control Game Against TCU

By ZACHARY COHEN

Cheez-It Bowl – TCU Horned Frogs vs. California Golden Bears (-1.0)

Three things to know before betting on TCU-California:
1. While TCU is 6-3 straight up in its last nine bowl games, the Horned Frogs are just 2-7 against the spread. Meanwhile, the Golden Bears are playing in their first bowl game since Jared Goff lit up Air Force for 467 yards with six touchdowns and no picks back in 2015. Current head coach Justin Wilcox has breathed new life into this Cal program, and his players will be fired up to earn a win for him here. Cal also happens to be an impressive 9-2 against the spread in the second half of the season over the last two seasons and 10-2 against the spread after playing three straight conference games in that span. Combine that with the fact that TCU is just 12-26 against the spread in all lined games over the last three seasons and it becomes clearer why the Golden Bears should win this one.

Read more at https://www.si.com/college-football...owl-tcu-california-odds-picks-betting-preview

Bizarro Frog

This feels like he is writing to justify the bet he laid down a week back and now needs to convince himself it’s still okay. For a team with nothing to play for the Frogs played their arses off trying to get there. If you are going to stage a defensive battle I know which coach I am picking for my team. Not sure how many weapons we have left on offense but I would wager we are faster than Cal. They will not risk kicking or punting to Reagor so that will limit them on special teams.

I like the Frogs to lock down Cal and maybe score on D. They will get the ball to Reagor in space then when Cal is doing everything they can to stop him another player on offense will break the game open.

Eight

so half the paragraph posted above is about how tcu and cal have performed versus the gambling lines which might be important to some on this site, but i don't give a [ Finebaum ] and in all honesty i fail to see how any of that matters when it comes down to who actually will win the game.

maybe he might have addressed that further down in his work, but you have to give me more than who did or did not cover during the last 3 years.

dude must not understand cgmfp's mindset of winning by 1

Tumbleweed

Give TCU two maybe three series to understand Cal then it will be all TCU.

Seems I remember Cal's coach came from Boise State. We're familiar with them, huh?

Eight

cal defensively is very good, they have faced some very good offenses, offenses with a great deal of speed, the one loss that is definitely a head scratcher is ucla.

the big key will be to run the ball. stanford and oregon were the two most physical offenses they faced and as with the tcu defense if frogs can make cal deal with run game it will open the pass.

CountryFrog

I don't care much for "analysis" based on how teams have done against the spread in the last 26 or 46 or 600 games. That doesn't really seem like analysis to me. Might as well just say what the two teams actual records are over any period of time. It's information that anyone can get at any time and doesn't actually impact anything in THIS game.

Eight

I didn't realize that the PAC12 was known for defense. I thought Ole Miss was known for the landshark D, and we all know how that worked out.

I'm scared.

utah, udub, and cal played some fairly solid defense this year.

interesting thing is none are loaded with nfl prospects aside from the washington secondary. all run fairly well, tackle well, and are aggressive.

all are built to handle speed and the passing game, but the key is line of scrimmage in the run game