• The KillerFrogs

Renderings of the new TCU Hotel

Brog

It seems to me the largest draw for this hotel would be football weekends and putting it as far away as possible as opposed to closer to the stadium just seems counter intuitive...

So locate for us where there is available square bloc, closer to the stadium, to put the new hotel, as opposed to the Berry street location.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
So locate for us where there is available square bloc, closer to the stadium, to put the new hotel, as opposed to the Berry street location.

Not my job.

But I imagine there will property bought up in the coming years all around campus, but I might have targeted the area bounded by Bowie, Cockrell, Green and Berry. I’m sure they were getting their best deal, I was merely making an observation.

Dogfrog

This location is current university parking lot. About 2-3 blocks from business school. The university has many visitors year round. Parents, prospective students, alumni, TCU business partners, visiting opponent fans for basketball, baseball, all sports, graduation. I’m guessing this hotel could also host all kinds of alumni and student meetings and events.

Also from that location the walk across campus to any campus location is impressive.

HFrog12

Not my job.

But I imagine there will property bought up in the coming years all around campus, but I might have targeted the area bounded by Bowie, [ the old ricardo ]rell, Green and Berry. I’m sure they were getting their best deal, I was merely making an observation.

I agree with Hoosier. I do not have any other suggestions off hand, but they seemingly chose the absolute farthest location on campus from the football stadium. Hopefully other folks will jump at these rooms and lessen the demand downtown.

Logistically TCU football games are the most luxurious in college football. I love that I can stay in beautiful downtown Fort Worth and get to my parking spot or take an uber directly to the stadium in under 30 minutes. Then typically get back downtown in under 45. When I go to games in Baton Rouge it can take 2+ hours to get back to the hotel. And a lot of other schools have that same experience and don't have a city like FW.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
It seems to me the largest draw for this hotel would be football weekends and putting it as far away as possible as opposed to closer to the stadium just seems counter intuitive...

I see a business opportunity for an investor to provide electric golf carts that seat 6 to provide off-book transport literally door to door service from the hotel to either ACS or the Hall of Justice with the added bonus of flouting musty old-fashioned traffic laws & take full advantage of not only streets but sidewalks & grassy areas for a lucrative Cash Only ride. Drivers would be starving college students eager to work for tips only.

LeagueCityFrog

I like Oklahoma State's new hotel aesthetically on the outside better than the image TCU is floating around for their new hotel. Maybe TCU needs to go take a peek at that one first before they build. The Okie State hotel exterior design looks more like our new fraternity and sorority house designs and I like those better than the first exterior design submission for this TCU hotel.

I also think TCU could more than handle a second, higher end hotel, in that area same general area of campus or maybe by the new performance arts center. Like a category 5 or higher with less rooms than this Hyatt, a workout place as well, a business center, and a restaurant. TCU has the clientele for those type of visitors. Maybe something like a modern, bigger Ashton hotel where it is more in the $250.00 a night range with higher room finish outs and a very elegant lobby and bar. It would be a great place for important campus visitors or new visiting parents who want to take it up a notch on their visit to campus. The market is definitely there.

Last edited:

flyfishingfrog

Guessing they are not building an entire hotel for 6 weekends a year even based on full occupancy and higher rates those days...short of tearing down an athletic field, grocery store, school, church or getting an entire residential street purchased and rezoned, I don’t see anywhere closer to the stadium they could build a hotel

Plus I would guess that location is closer than most of the new hotels being built on other campuses simply because our campus is pretty compact to begin with

Eight

Ha ha. I have bad knees, especially my left one. I will need at least one knee replacement before too long as a result of a wrestling injury from high school. Hurts all the time and I could still make the walk. It just isn’t that far. Typical TCU folks to complain about something like this cause it isn’t next door to the stadium.

hmmm...high school wrestling injury you say

Dogfrog

I’m an old fart and love the walk. Maybe they could install zip lines from the hotel roof to stadium upper deck for the codgers.

Anyway, it’s a much shorter walk than any other hotel in town.

BABYFACE

I understand some of y’all would prefer the hotel to be closer to the stadium, but where do they put it that is a better option?

The current location is a parking lot owned by TCU and thus zoning will not be an issue.

Only residential to buy that gets the hotel closer is either west of the stadium or north. That will cost millions even if those well heeled residents are willing to sell. Plus, that area would have to be rezoned. I imagine those residents would fight that with their deep pockets and a good chance they could win.

Yeah, TCU could buy up the cheaper property north of University Dr or south of Berry, but does not get one closer than the current proposed location.

MAcFroggy

For those who can not walk, I assume the hotel is going to have a shuttle that will take people closer to the stadium for football games.