• The KillerFrogs

Renderings of the new TCU Hotel

Billy Clyde

Weird, I’ve heard the opposite. As in TCU won’t try to purchase the home because it equates to roughly 4 parking spots.

It’s quirky and a poor use of $1mm or whatever the designer home owners want.

Hard for me to understand the value of trash-talking someone's home because of the style they chose. Obviously they like it, but I'm sure they'd appreciate benefitting from your expertise.

As for the lot size, if 6250 square feet(per TAD), "equates to roughly 4 parking spots," someone should be taking Uber instead of trying to park.

ticketfrog123

Hard for me to understand the value of trash-talking someone's home because of the style they chose. Obviously they like it, but I'm sure they'd appreciate benefitting from your expertise.

As for the lot size, if 6250 square feet(per TAD), "equates to roughly 4 parking spots," someone should be taking Uber instead of trying to park.

For clarity, I meant it’s a poor use of TCU’s money to acquire the home at a ridiculous asking price.

don’t see the point in TCU spending money to buy it.

Was not trash talking the home, I personally like it and don’t have an issue with it.

flyfishingfrog

IDK, but based on what some of the local country clubs and downtown venues charge, the TCU hotel couldn’t possibly be any more expensive (at least I hope not).
as a man who has paid for 7 weddings not including my own - trust me in saying it is not the facility that costs money, it is the catering and all the other stuff around it (rentals, decorations, flowers, the band, etc)

Any facility charge is included in the minimum in places that cater and I have yet to see a minimum charge that wasn't easily exceeded except for one of my granddaughters that originally wanted to get married at Colonial but only invite 50 people. And even then we worked it out by not using the ballrooms.

But basic food and a bar will run you $100/person unless you serve finger sandwiches and miller lite - so $7500 for a minimum at Ft Worth Club or $10k at Colonial is easy to meet if you are planning on inviting 100 people.

Plus, that is still only 1/3 or less of what a wedding will cost these days it seems. People think that renting a facility and doing their own catering/bar saves money but my experience is that isn't true once you rent all the other stuff and hire an external caterer. You might get by if you cater with Babe's and get your fraternity brothers to be the bartenders but you will be stressed out the day of making sure you bought enough vodka at Sam's. and yes, I have had to make a liquor store run in a tux before they closed on Saturday night because of poor estimating.

If a wedding isn't that big - then just tell places like Ft Worth Club, City Club, Colonial, Shady, etc and they will let you use the Library or Leonard Room or do a Sunday afternoon for a lot less.

Best advice I ever got and we do all the time now - hire a coordinator for the day of the wedding. It will cost you $500 but they will make sure flowers are in the right place, bridesmaids show up, mothers are in the right pews, the band plays the right song at the right time, the car is ready when the service is over, etc. - all the stuff that can ruin 12 months of planning and a lot of money spent.

Last edited:

LeagueCityFrog

TCU needs to do a nice building on this hotel. They will sell rooms here... no problemo... The first thing TCU should be considering is all the wedding receptions they will have in this building. There will be a ton and they want a classy looking building for our alums including recently minted, they will also sell to parents and high school kids looking at TCU and that building may be the first experience those people have with TCU. The first release of that TCU hotel didn't look up to TCU standard. The hotel should be one of the campus' gems.

lowfrog

Only item missing from this hotel is the gigantic TCU Frog Light on the roof. Just like the Bat Light in the Batman movies, when the night sky is full of clouds, Frog Light is a big, purple spotlight that shines up into the night sky from the hotel roof to reflect off the clouds. In the middle of a brilliant purple circle of light is the white image of a mean-looking Horned Frog alternating periodically with the white letters TCU. The Frog Light calls all members of the TCU family back to campus for a game, a graduation, a wedding, a party, or any significant TCU Horned Frog occasion.

DeuceBoogieNights

As someone who works with hotels I am curious to see how this goes. Is there enough people in town during the week to fill rooms? It's too far from downtown for most business travelers. Does TCU have enough visitors during the week, especially during the summer? Weekends shouldnt be a problem with the mentioned weddings and athletic events.

ticketfrog123

As someone who works with hotels I am curious to see how this goes. Is there enough people in town during the week to fill rooms? It's too far from downtown for most business travelers. Does TCU have enough visitors during the week, especially during the summer? Weekends shouldnt be a problem with the mentioned weddings and athletic events.

Depends how they price it and if it’s truly a Hyatt Place, which has a rep among travelers as a consistent, well-run brand.

The Stockyards Hyatt Place regularly charges ~$200/nt and there’s another off Bryant Irving that is typically ~$110/night.

Hotel could do very well if it’s under $150/nt in off-peak periods.

Last edited:

froginaustin

This proposed hotel seems pretty small for continuing education courses-- 150 rooms and only 4000 s.f. of meeting-room space. IIRC.

Just about every profession that requires licensing has continuing education requirements, and these events can be big deals for hotels. A TCU hotel might be attractive for continuing education for lawyers, accountants, insurance or financial peeps, etc., not to mention folks in health care fields.

Shouldn't they build something that's big enough for that sort of event?

I suppose a building with 150 residential rooms can be a dorm if a hotel business on the premises doesn't work out.

TCUdirtbag

TCU needs to do a nice building on this hotel. They will sell rooms here... no problemo... The first thing TCU should be considering is all the wedding receptions they will have in this building. There will be a ton and they want a classy looking building for our alums including recently minted, they will also sell to parents and high school kids looking at TCU and that building may be the first experience those people have with TCU. The first release of that TCU hotel didn't look up to TCU standard. The hotel should be one of the campus' gems.

Pretty sure the structure here is a simple ground lease.

TCU has much nicer wedding reception / corporate event venues at AGCS. I suspect TCU has zero interest in the hotel taking away from that.

frogs9497

This proposed hotel seems pretty small for continuing education courses-- 150 rooms and only 4000 s.f. of meeting-room space. IIRC.

Just about every profession that requires licensing has continuing education requirements, and these events can be big deals for hotels. A TCU hotel might be attractive for continuing education for lawyers, accountants, insurance or financial peeps, etc., not to mention folks in health care fields.

Shouldn't they build something that's big enough for that sort of event?

I suppose a building with 150 residential rooms can be a dorm if a hotel business on the premises doesn't work out.

Not disagreeing, but I complete probably 75% of the annual CPE requirement for CPA license renewal online each year. The other 25% is reserved for travel to nice resorts funded by my employer (wink).

Perhaps online coursework is not as feasible in other fields.

Eight

always the option of hourly rates

Dogfrog

See what you’re saying but I think those of us who live in Fort Worth sometimes lose sight of how close everything is for a city of its size. If you drew a five mile radius around downtown, the circle would include stockyards, museums and arts district, Camp Bowie bricks, Magnolia, Botanic gardens, trinity park, river trails, and TCU, edit: and Colonial, Dickies Arena, 7th Street, south Main. If I were coming from out of town I wouldn’t hesitate to stay in TCU area if the accommodations were worthwhile, especially if there were sporting events going on.

Last edited: