• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

BABYFACE

Excellent anthology.

Wife and I just stumbled onto another Netflix original series called Travelers. Think Quantum Leap meets 24. Very entertaining.
Interesting. When I saw the title perusing thru Netflix, I thought it was about Irish gypsies. Guess I should have read the synopsis.

Froglaw

I don't see how anyone could enjoy seeing Tom Cruise play Jack Reacher unless you have never read the books by Lee Child.

I just separate the two (book v movie/TV) and let them stand on their own.

I've enjoyed both Reacher movies and I love the books.

Same with the Longmire novels and the TV show. Walt Longmire's character is enjoyable as any character ever created.

The attempts to translate the Travis McGee series to the big screen failed. Same with Clive Cussler/Dirk Pitt early novels (I've given up on the series).

The Shape of Water, Dunkirk, and Hidden Figures are the best I've seen in the last six months.

Water is not for kids, even teenagers. Weird as heck, but entertaining as anything released in the last two years.

IMHO!

flyfishingfrog

Same with Clive Cussler/Dirk Pitt early novels (I've given up on the series).
This was one of the biggest disappointments ever in my mind for trying to translate what could have been a great series of books to the big screen.

They had a chance to create the American version of James Bond and instead turned it into the biggest joke ever by casting that man bun wearing, no shower taking longhorn lover and then attempting to make it funny.

You know you are doing something wrong when not only does Cussler walk off from the script writing sessions but literally then tries to sue you for using his book title even after getting paid...

And I agree about trying to separate characters sometimes - Henry Standing Bear is a great character in both the Longmire books and series - but there is no way to rationalize Lou Diamond Phillips playing the role if you think about the mountain of a man that the character was written as in the novels. Of course, LDP is probably a better representation of the real life Lakota Chief that the character was named after I guess.

Sebastian S

p13958316_p_v8_aa.jpg

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
This was one of the biggest disappointments ever in my mind for trying to translate what could have been a great series of books to the big screen.

They had a chance to create the American version of James Bond and instead turned it into the biggest joke ever by casting that man bun wearing, no shower taking longhorn lover and then attempting to make it funny.

You know you are doing something wrong when not only does Cussler walk off from the script writing sessions but literally then tries to sue you for using his book title even after getting paid...

And I agree about trying to separate characters sometimes - Henry Standing Bear is a great character in both the Longmire books and series - but there is no way to rationalize Lou Diamond Phillips playing the role if you think about the mountain of a man that the character was written as in the novels. Of course, LDP is probably a better representation of the real life Lakota Chief that the character was named after I guess.

They tried making 'Raise the Titanic' in 1980, but it was a ghastly flop. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raise_the_Titanic_(film)

Richard Jordan would have made a fine Dirk Pitt had the series continued.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Mrs. Brewingfrog and I watched 'Dunkirk' last night. I thought it very well done in some ways, woefully awful in others. I think it would be terribly difficult for anyone not reasonably versed in WWII history to understand what was going on and why. Additionally, the climactic scene of the fleet of small craft approaching the French shoreline was completely underwhelming. I mean, Hans Zimmer's score finally resolves into a triumphant blare... And we're looking at about a dozen boats. Oh, well...

Tom Hardy the Spitfire pilot was nice, the flying scenes were wonderful, attention to detail exemplary... And then they had him glide for 150 miles, shooting down aircraft as he went. I couldn't help but think, "Well, he turned completely around to shoot down the attacking Stuka, couldn't he have turned around again and avoided capture?" Eh. It is galling when writers/directors strive for authenticity, then totally abandon it for some silly reason.

While it was nice in total, I probably won't bother to watch it again. Past the cool Spitfire sequences, the rest was meh. Branagh was fine, Mark Rylance totally wasted, and Tom Hardy wore a mask. (2.5 of 5)

Bob

"Of course, LDP is probably a better representation of the real life Lakota Chief that the character was named after I guess."

Don't know about that. After all, there are some FBIs out there on the rez.

jake102

Mrs. Brewingfrog and I watched 'Dunkirk' last night. I thought it very well done in some ways, woefully awful in others. I think it would be terribly difficult for anyone not reasonably versed in WWII history to understand what was going on and why. Additionally, the climactic scene of the fleet of small craft approaching the French shoreline was completely underwhelming. I mean, Hans Zimmer's score finally resolves into a triumphant blare... And we're looking at about a dozen boats. Oh, well...

Tom Hardy the Spitfire pilot was nice, the flying scenes were wonderful, attention to detail exemplary... And then they had him glide for 150 miles, shooting down aircraft as he went. I couldn't help but think, "Well, he turned completely around to shoot down the attacking Stuka, couldn't he have turned around again and avoided capture?" Eh. It is galling when writers/directors strive for authenticity, then totally abandon it for some silly reason.

While it was nice in total, I probably won't bother to watch it again. Past the cool Spitfire sequences, the rest was meh. Branagh was fine, Mark Rylance totally wasted, and Tom Hardy wore a mask. (2.5 of 5)

Pretty spot on review. The spitfire scenes are some of my favorite in any movie ever, absolutely awesome. The rest of the movie was pretty meh. I was hoping to learn more about the event rather than small tidbits of time through three archs.

flyfishingfrog

"Of course, LDP is probably a better representation of the real life Lakota Chief that the character was named after I guess."

Don't know about that. After all, there are some FBIs out there on the rez.
there definitely are FBI's - especially within the Sioux Nation but the real life Chief Henry Standing Bear was not one of them. He was a man of diminutive physical stature but known as a great thinker and leader that possessed strong skills of persuasion - enough so that he convinced several government and private organizations to fund and build the Crazy Horse Memorial at a time where that was still pretty controversial in the Black Hills area.