• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

Chongo94

I'm starting this because I've kind of been wanting to start one for a while and also because I just watched one of the worst westerns I've seen in a long long time and am hopeful that this thread will stop others from wasting money on certain movies like The Last Jedi or wasting time on a western like In a Valley of Violence.

So feel free to suggest movies worth seeing and those worth avoiding, be they old or new and famous or not well known.

As to In a Valley of Violence....it's bad, just really bad. I was kind of taking it in a ho hum way grinding through it until one of the last scenes with John Travolta standing in between two gun fighters. AVOID THIS MOVIE unless you like long winded badly written badly acted laughable stupidity.

Last edited:

Chongo94

John Travolta in a western? Trying to wrap my head around that one.

Honestly he wasn't too bad....until that last scene he was in. I can't even begin to do justice to how bad it was.

He played the marshal and Ethan Hawke played the drifter ex soldier guy.

Edit: I will say though, there was a dog in this movie that was amazing and awesome. It was the only redeeming thing about the movie.

Last edited:

Chongo94

I recently watched Passengers with Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence on Starz. Thought it was a really interesting and entertaining movie. Posed a thought-provoking question. If you were in his situation, would you wake her up and change her destiny?

Haven't seen that yet. Didn't that make some people mad somehow...like they thought it was a scifi mystery action but turned into a love story or something?

I'd probably wake her up but knowing my luck she'd basically be Janice from Friends.

Chongo94

Good Modern Movies List
I will avoid the movies that most everyone will have seen and are on television often.

Westerns:
Bone Tomahawk
The Salvation
Forsaken

Comedy:
Klown
What We Do In The Shadows (you will like this one or hate it)

Foreign Films:
El Secreto De Sus Ojos
Relatos Salvajes
The Hunt
The Lives Of Others
Memories Of Murder
Timecrimes

Salvation is so good. The Lives of Others is amazing! What we do in the shadows is quirky funny, you nailed it. I wasn't a huge fan but I liked it still.

Been wanting to see Bone Tomahawk for a while.

jack the frog

Good Modern Movies List
I will avoid the movies that most everyone will have seen and are on television often.

Westerns:
Bone Tomahawk
The Salvation
Forsaken

Comedy:
Klown
What We Do In The Shadows (you will like this one or hate it)

Foreign Films:
El Secreto De Sus Ojos
Relatos Salvajes
The Hunt
The Lives Of Others
Memories Of Murder
Timecrimes

Good list.
To the Western genre I would add the Austrian movie Dark Valley and to the WWII/Cold War theme of The Lives of Others I would add Downfall. Dark Valley is a good movie with a great soundtrack while Downfall is just a great movie period.

Last edited:

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
As to In a Valley of Violence....it's bad, just really bad. I was kind of taking it in a ho hum way grinding through it until one of the last scenes with John Travolta standing in between two gun fighters. AVOID THIS MOVIE unless you like long winded badly written badly acted laughable stupidity.

I watched this movie the other night. I took it as a western version of John Wick and spent my time watching for common elements. Made a mediocre movie fun to watch.

I recently watched Passengers with Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence on Starz. Thought it was a really interesting and entertaining movie. Posed a thought-provoking question. If you were in his situation, would you wake her up and change her destiny?

I enjoyed that one. Amazing how it was just the two of them for 85% of the movie.

The Big Sick is a recent movie that I enjoyed.