• The KillerFrogs

Official World Cup 2018 Thread...

WhiteHispanicFrog

Curmudgeon
Rubbish!!

On a similar note, I struggle with how to pronounce Spanish/Mexican words/names/cities. Do I just not even try and say it like a stupid gringo? Or do I go for the correct pronunciation how they actually say it? I used to think I sound like an arsehole trying to sound cool if I went for the pronunciation, but I think they appreciate it when you try.

I married into a Mexican family and I work for a Mexican company, so I run into this a lot. I find myself “going for it” most of the time now.

Go for it güey.

Chongo94

but do little kids playing soccer in America call it their kit or their uniform?

And does that change at some point when you get serious - like on club teams or travel leagues?

Hmmm, good question. I remember using those terms during junior high so maybe then? Not sure when we actually started using them, we just did.

Sorry I can’t be of more help, I find it an interesting discussion, I just can’t be more specific because it was one of those things that happens and you only realize you do it when others point it out but you’re not sure when or how you picked it up you know? We had some Brit coaches here and there on the club teams so that may be where a lot of it came from.

Purp

but do little kids playing soccer in America call it their kit or their uniform?

And does that change at some point when you get serious - like on club teams or travel leagues?
Yeah. I'd say preteen club leagues is where you start to pick up the colloquialisms. But that was 25 years ago for me. Given the growth of the sport in TV now I bet kids watching it on TV may pick it up even sooner.

Ron Swanson

Just giving you hell bc I've just never noticed his eye brows before and I've watched him play a lot.
Haha, I never used to notice eyebrows, but my wife is obsessed with them and it’s one of the first things she notices on a person. Of course now I notice them... and she’s right, they make a huge difference in how someone looks.

Ronaldo definitely gets his manicured and that’s a big part of the reason he looks ghey as hell...

cristiano-ronaldo-eyebrows-cristiano-ronaldo-denies-rape-allegations-journalistic-fiction.jpg

Last edited:

flyfishingfrog

Does it require they fall over like they have been shot every time they get grazed to get the penalty call or is there some academy award for acting that the biggest drama queen gets at the end of the world cup?

I can live with the ties, advancing based on points, the extra minutes idea - especially now that they actually announce it unlike when the only person who knew when the match was over was the head official, etc

But it would be better to watch if they didn't act like they had a limb severed instead of just having a slight collision that should expected when two professional athletes are running for the same object at close to full speed - just an educated opinion.

dawg

Checking in to say darn Mexico. Saw a stat that Germany has won their previous opening WC matches 4-0. I’m hoping for a repeat. darn Mexico.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Does it require they fall over like they have been shot every time they get grazed to get the penalty call or is there some academy award for acting that the biggest drama queen gets at the end of the world cup?

I can live with the ties, advancing based on points, the extra minutes idea - especially now that they actually announce it unlike when the only person who knew when the match was over was the head official, etc

But it would be better to watch if they didn't act like they had a limb severed instead of just having a slight collision that should expected when two professional athletes are running for the same object at close to full speed - just an educated opinion.

You arrogant Yankee making joke on our fabulous keekball for man with no arms games!