• The KillerFrogs

Official World Cup 2018 Thread...

Chongo94

Didn't see this up yet and with it starting in 7 days, figured now is as good a time as any to create one. Those of you who have zero use for the sport, please don't post in this thread. We get it, you don't like it...we don't care, move on.
So, below are the groups, schedule, and some useful links. Sucks that the USA didn't make it and that Russia is hosting but looking forward to it nonetheless.

113+days+until+fifa+world+cup+2018+in+russia+who_3a818b_6524041.jpg

2018worldcupschedule.gif

Chongo94

WC website link, FIFA - https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/

Matches link - https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/

ESPN team previews - http://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-wor...eviews-argentina-brazil-france-top-contenders

An amazing and ridiculously in depth link to every single player in the tournament apparently...oh those Brits. HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS ONE -https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2018/jun/05/world-cup-2018-complete-guide-players-ratings-goals-caps

Guide to the grounds and how crazily spread out Russia is and the travel that will be involved for some games - https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41586162

Sports Illustrated team "tiers" - https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/06/07/world-cup-tier-rankings-contenders-russia-2018

Last edited:

Chongo94

Nigeria's wc kit has apparently already sold over 3 million orders. Expect this to be worn by numerous hipsters/Uncle Sam's army fan dweebs everywhere

nigeria-2018-world-cup-home-kit-1.jpg

tcujsauce

I believe a while back the early betting was favoring France. I think, but don't quote me, that as it has gotten closer many are starting to think Brazil and Germany are the main favorites.

A lot of it hinged on Manu The Wall's status, as he's been MIA from Bayern dang near all season trying to get well for the WC, and now that he's got the all clear to play I have to think Germany has to be the favorite. Haven't really done much reading on that though.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
Go Senegal, Go Australia, Go Uruguay and Go Croatia. But I actually believe the crazy idea that Los Tricolores pull off a shocker and win this.

Sebastian S

Yeah I think Brazil would be the favorites, is Neymar back to being healthy?

Not that it matters, they usually always have good young talent.

Chongo94

Yeah I think Brazil would be the favorites, is Neymar back to being healthy?

Not that it matters, they usually always have good young talent.

Pretty sure he’s good to go. Looks like they lost Fred today though as their hack Casemiro apparently tore up his ankle in a tackle in practice.

LVH

I hate soccer. I only watch during the world cup, and only to hope the USA can beat the snobby European countries/other countries that actually give a [ Finebaum ] about soccer, which usually doesn't happen.

Since there is no USA, I don't care. I'll probably passively pull for the 3rd world African countries to beat the European/South American powers, but I probably won't do any watching.

Soccer doesn't interest me at all. I've heard my entire life how soccer is just a few years away from exploding in popularity, and yet it hasn't happened. I went to an MLS game one time and I could not distinguish the fans there from a Bernie Sanders rally. Pretty much only white liberal hipster types. Gallup did a poll showing soccer is the 2nd most popular sport amongst liberals and liberals are 4x as likely to list soccer as their favorite sport, so it makes sense.

The same people I know who are big soccer fans are usually the ones lecturing the tipped employees here in Las Vegas about how they are being screwed by making money off tips and how we need to transition to the European system of them simply being paid an hourly wage and no tips. Yeah scheissing right. No surprise their is a connection between Americans who think Europe is superior culturally and politically and economically and how we should be more like Europe, and soccer fans.

Chongo94

I’m in...... and officially beyond depressed that the US [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] down their legs and failed to qualify. Hoping the infusion of talented youth pays dividends in 4 years.

Get to see some of them again on Saturday (I think) vs France. Always felt like this last group of players minus a couple were vastly overrated. Hoping like you that the youth infusion pays off.

Sebastian S

I’m in...... and officially beyond depressed that the US [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] down their legs and failed to qualify. Hoping the infusion of talented youth pays dividends in 4 years.

I do enjoy watching soccer but live.

It's like hockey to me, could get boring on TV but great to watch in person

I have been to a couple FC Dallas games and they are fun! Last week we may have been leading our division.

The USA really needs to invest more into soccer, from the grassroots. I know there are a lot of kids that play, you can pass by parks on a Saturday or Sunday and they are usually packed with families watching they kids play soccer. There is just no incentive to follow through with it through college and the pros in north america. The best soccer is played in Europe.

Sebastian S

Yeah. Soccer is a sport for girls. Liberals like it because they view America as inferior and therefore latch onto it to make a signaling political statement. "I like soccer because its what those superior, sophisticated Europeans like, so I must too, I can't like those stupid American sports that the uneducated dumb American rednecks watch".

There is a guy where I work who is a huge soccer fan and always pushing soccer. He also still has a Bernie sticker on his Subaru, and lectured a girl who works here who works part time as a [ the old ricardo ]tail waitress on the weekends about how MGM is screwing her by not paying her a fair wage(even though she clears $300+ on her shifts) and that we need to go to the European System of no tipping
lax-header17_0.jpg

Moose Stuff

Yeah. Soccer is a sport for girls. Liberals like it because they view America as inferior and therefore latch onto it to make a signaling political statement. "I like soccer because its what those superior, sophisticated Europeans like, so I must too, I can't like those stupid American sports that the uneducated dumb American rednecks watch".

There is a guy where I work who is a huge soccer fan and always pushing soccer. He also still has a Bernie sticker on his Subaru, and lectured a girl who works here who works part time as a [ the old ricardo ]tail waitress on the weekends about how MGM is screwing her by not paying her a fair wage(even though she clears $300+ on her shifts) and that we need to go to the European System of no tipping

What the hell dude? We get it, you hate soccer. Kick rocks.