• The KillerFrogs

Official World Cup 2018 Thread...

Purp

What a match. Association football played at a very high level (well, other than De Gea going “Full Joe Hart.” You cannot let that go in).

Costa’s brace of quality goals. The first, wow, did he make that by himself. Dink, dink, dink, laser into the corner. And off a hoof-n-hope. He offers Spain a “Plan B” to tika-taka.

That beautiful strike from Nacho... Stunning. No words. Needs another viewing.

And then Ronaldo snatches a draw with a sumptuous free kick. Spain deserved to win, but, well...“Football, bloody hell.”

World Cup’s off to a great start. Argentina - Iceland & Nigeria - Croatia should be interesting tomorrow.

That Ronaldo goal to draw level was remarkable, but that Nacho goal was in a different stratosphere. It's so tough to hit that volley on frame, but to do it with that much velocity and swerve was exquisite. Every time I see it I'm floored all over again.

Chongo94

Why do you despise Ronaldo? I always hated Man U, but couldn't bring myself to hate him. He's just too impressive to watch. Similarly with Lebron and Favre as other examples. Hated their teams and had every reason to not want to like them, but just too impressive to hate.

He is quite possibly, the most arrogant athlete ever to grace the world stage in any sport, and that’s saying something. I can’t abide his attitude not his constant need for attention. Never have liked him, never will. He’s the main reason I can’t pull for Real anymore even though I loved the galáctico era. He’s got ability, no doubt, but for me, his attitude and behavior completely overshadow his play. I just can’t do it man, he’s just one of those I will never cease ground to becoming a fan of.

Purp

He is quite possibly, the most arrogant athlete ever to grace the world stage in any sport, and that’s saying something. I can’t abide his attitude not his constant need for attention. Never have liked him, never will. He’s the main reason I can’t pull for Real anymore even though I loved the galáctico era. He’s got ability, no doubt, but for me, his attitude and behavior completely overshadow his play. I just can’t do it man, he’s just one of those I will never cease ground to becoming a fan of.
I guess I tolerate arrogance more from athletes bc it's so ubiquitous. Maybe I don't pay enough attention, but he's nowhere near the Bakefield, RGMe, Johnny Football level of arrogance. Is he proud of how pretty he is and love to flaunt it? No doubt. But that's also not that uncommon amongst athletes at that level.

Chongo94

I guess I tolerate arrogance more from athletes bc it's so ubiquitous. Maybe I don't pay enough attention, but he's nowhere near the Bakefield, RGMe, Johnny Football level of arrogance. Is he proud of how pretty he is and love to flaunt it? No doubt. But that's also not that uncommon amongst athletes at that level.

All I’ll say is that if Diego Maradona thinks you’re being too arrogant, that’s saying something. Those you mentioned totally are but they’re not coming close to this guy in my opinion. But at least he actually backs his mouth up day in and day out.

Ron Swanson

I just figured you were gonna say his manicured eyebrows and overall womanly look.

Eight

cr to me is the soccer equivalent of kobe, arrongant, brash, not afraid to seek the spotlight, seems to be involved in crap that happens on the playing surface and the sob has this way of popping up at the most opportune moments. also has a crap load of hardware though it all isn't due to him

messi is similar to chris paul. incredibly talented passing the ball, setting tempo, creating for teammates and scoring. problem is something always seems to go wrong in the least opportune moment

not perfect matches but careers i find comparable

flyfishingfrog

I like the World Cup and “soccer” so don’t get me wrong when I say Americans using European terms to describe things always comes off weird to me

It’s like when a US announcer tries to say a golfer had to much borrow when they miss a putt on the pro side - it only sounds right coming from a British accent and the American sounds stupid saying it

Chongo94

I like the World Cup and “soccer” so don’t get me wrong when I say Americans using European terms to describe things always comes off weird to me

It’s like when a US announcer tries to say a golfer had to much borrow when they miss a putt on the pro side - it only sounds right coming from a British accent and the American sounds stupid saying it

It’s just natural if you’re in that world. Grew up using those terms so they stuck. I actually find it weird using similar American terms to describe things within the sport, as do most of my friends who played and grew up with it. Guess it just becomes ingrained. I just don’t find it that big of a deal.

Ron Swanson

Rubbish!!

On a similar note, I struggle with how to pronounce Spanish/Mexican words/names/cities. Do I just not even try and say it like a stupid gringo? Or do I go for the correct pronunciation how they actually say it? I used to think I sound like an arsehole trying to sound cool if I went for the pronunciation, but I think they appreciate it when you try.

I married into a Mexican family and I work for a Mexican company, so I run into this a lot. I find myself “going for it” most of the time now.

flyfishingfrog

Rubbish!!

On a similar note, I struggle with how to pronounce Spanish/Mexican words/names/cities. Do I just not even try and say it like a stupid gringo? Or do I go for the correct pronunciation how they actually say it? I used to think I sound like an arsehole trying to sound cool if I went for the pronunciation, but I think they appreciate it when you try.

I married into a Mexican family and I work for a Mexican company, so I run into this a lot. I find myself “going for it” most of the time now.
my wife is Hispanic also and I can't roll my rrrrrrrrr's - so I used to try hard, then I quit trying but they just laugh either way so now I kind of do what you do - the best I can and they get a chuckle out of it.

flyfishingfrog

It’s just natural if you’re in that world. Grew up using those terms so they stuck. I actually find it weird using similar American terms to describe things within the sport, as do most of my friends who played and grew up with it. Guess it just becomes ingrained. I just don’t find it that big of a deal.
but do little kids playing soccer in America call it their kit or their uniform?

And does that change at some point when you get serious - like on club teams or travel leagues?