• The KillerFrogs

Kyler Murray signs with A's, will QB Sooners this fall

FrogCop19

MMA. High payday, you get to fight, and you can defend yourself and loved ones.

Ok, that concept sounded a lot better in my head...

Purp

Rhyner made a point today on The Ticket that Oakland needs a QB and the Raiders, thanks to Jerry Jones, have 3 first round draft picks. Why not take a shot? He could play in the same stadium.
Oakland needs more than just a QB. Those picks will go a long way toward making that happen, but if I'm Kyler I don't want to play football in Oakland any time soon.

I’ll admit I was skeptical about how Murray would fare this year even though I never commented on it in this thread. Nothing he had ever done prior to this season projected that he would have a record-breaking year. But wow, he made a lot of people look like fools if you re-read this thread. Ouch.

Zubaz

10-20 years ago, there's no chance the guy is drafted by the NFL. Today, the offense of NFL has changed and the rules have allowed a guy like Murray to have a shot. It would still be uphill, and I'm sure there are LBs and DE's that would kill him if they get a good hit on a guy his frame, but it's not outside the realm of possibility the way it was in the 90's.

That said, Baseball is almost definitely still the play for a guy like him.

Wexahu

I think if he decides to try and play in the NFL, he'll go through all those pre-draft tests and he'll measure about 5'9", maybe 5'10" and not look all that impressive throwing the ball, and most scouts will be scared away. People bring up Russell Wilson and Drew Brees as short guys who have been great but I'd bet both are a good two inches taller and both have almost freakishly big hands for their size, which makes a huge difference in throwing and hanging onto the bigger NFL ball (anyone here thrown one of those compared to the college ball? It's WAY different).

The running stuff is great, but running NFL QBs are not going to survive. Especially 180-190 lb guys. And I don't think he's ever going to be anything more than a very average passer at the NFL level, and he might always be below average. There have been a lot of Heisman winning QBs who couldn't make it in the NFL. He'll be another one IMO if he decides to go that route.

Moose Stuff

I think if he decides to try and play in the NFL, he'll go through all those pre-draft tests and he'll measure about 5'9", maybe 5'10" and not look all that impressive throwing the ball, and most scouts will be scared away. People bring up Russell Wilson and Drew Brees as short guys who have been great but I'd bet both are a good two inches taller and both have almost freakishly big hands for their size, which makes a huge difference in throwing and hanging onto the bigger NFL ball (anyone here thrown one of those compared to the college ball? It's WAY different).

The running stuff is great, but running NFL QBs are not going to survive. Especially 180-190 lb guys. And I don't think he's ever going to be anything more than a very average passer at the NFL level, and he might always be below average. There have been a lot of Heisman winning QBs who couldn't make it in the NFL. He'll be another one IMO if he decides to go that route.

I’m not saying he’s gonna be a good NFL QB FWIW. I’m saying he’s good enough that it’s not a lock he stops playing football.

jake102

I don't really see a route for Kyler in the NFL at QB. It's one thing to be 5'11" and have a cannon, another to be 5'9" and have a mediocre arm. Just not seeing it long term, even as the NFL adapts and leans more to speed than height/weight.

Moose Stuff

I don't really see a route for Kyler in the NFL at QB. It's one thing to be 5'11" and have a cannon, another to be 5'9" and have a mediocre arm. Just not seeing it long term, even as the NFL adapts and leans more to speed than height/weight.

Flip side of that is he might make way more money as a career NFL backup than he does as an MLB baseball player. No guarantee he hits enough to get to MLB and stay there. Gonna be interesting.

netty2424

You’ve made reference to his arm multiple times. Not trying to argue, just curious in your opinion, what NFL throw can he not make?

jake102

Flip side of that is he might make way more money as a career NFL backup than he does as an MLB baseball player. No guarantee he hits enough to get to MLB and stay there. Gonna be interesting.

I think the right team could make him a valuable NFL player. I could see him having a role where he does a little of everything.... on a game to game he is a wildcat QB, slot WR, RB guy and also fills the need of backup QB in case the starter goes down. I just don't think someone like the Giants could draft him and give him the keys to being an every snap QB. I think what Lamar Jackson is doing right now is unrealistic, just like RG3's great rookie year. All that running catches up to you in the NFL.