• The KillerFrogs

Kyler Murray signs with A's, will QB Sooners this fall

Planks

ZanyEagerCockerspaniel-size_restricted.gif

A strange gif to use in reference to a man who has two separate professional sports leagues fighting for the right to pay him millions upon millions of dollars.

Brog

I am going to predict he will not be on a major league team roster in either sport 5 years from now.

Get ready for a phone call the morning of January 14, 2024, reminding you of your prediction. The call will either be congratulating you, or poking fun at you. Who knows which.

Chico Dusty

A strange gif to use in reference to a man who has two separate professional sports leagues fighting for the right to pay him millions upon millions of dollars.

There aren’t any NFL teams fighting over Murray. As of now, he’s projected as a second to third rounder. Second rounders usually sign a 4 year, $5mil deal, around $1.3mil per year - only half of which is guaranteed. If he goes third round things drop even more to around $3.3 mil and around $750k of that guaranteed. And the odds are against him getting out of that contract. He’s definitely fighting an uphill battle in my opinion and far from rolling in NFL dough.

Wexahu

There aren’t any NFL teams fighting over Murray. As of now, he’s projected as a second to third rounder. Second rounders usually sign a 4 year, $5mil deal, around $1.3mil per year - only half of which is guaranteed. If he goes third round things drop even more to around $3.3 mil and around $750k of that guaranteed. And the odds are against him getting out of that contract. He’s definitely fighting an uphill battle in my opinion and far from rolling in NFL dough.

I have a feeling the combine and individual workouts are not going to be positives for him, but who knows? Just too dang small and I doubt his arm strength will wow anyone. Someone like him just hasn't really come around, I can't think of one NFL QB he'd compare to. Russell Wilson I guess, but even he is just a shade under 5'11" and 210 lbs and he's got gigantic hands which kind of offsets his size in terms of throwing and handling the ball.

He could probably be a solid slot receiver though.

Chico Dusty

I have a feeling the combine and individual workouts are not going to be positives for him, but who knows? Just too dang small and I doubt his arm strength will wow anyone. Someone like him just hasn't really come around, I can't think of one NFL QB he'd compare to. Russell Wilson I guess, but even he is just a shade under 5'11" and 210 lbs and he's got gigantic hands which kind of offsets his size in terms of throwing and handling the ball.

He could probably be a solid slot receiver though.

Agreed. I just don’t see it at QB

Chico Dusty

I’m willing to bet he has some assurances that he will get drafted high enough to get a contract larger than what the A’s deal is. Otherwise he’s just bad at business decisions and is getting terrible advice.

Indeed - you would hope so. It’s going to be interesting to watch it all unfold.

Purp

I’m willing to bet he has some assurances that he will get drafted high enough to get a contract larger than what the A’s deal is. Otherwise he’s just bad at business decisions and is getting terrible advice.
It could also be that he'd rather play football than baseball and if he has a chance to earn a million bucks less at football than baseball his preference for that sport makes it a good deal. I will be interested to see what happens with his baseball contract, though. If he has to pay any of it back I'll be curious to see how it all shakes out.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
It could also be that he'd rather play football than baseball and if he has a chance to earn a million bucks less at football than baseball his preference for that sport makes it a good deal. I will be interested to see what happens with his baseball contract, though. If he has to pay any of it back I'll be curious to see how it all shakes out.
All could be true but would fall under the bad business decision concept.

Purp

All could be true but would fall under the bad business decision concept.
I'm not so sure. I think his likely earning potential is much greater in the NFL even if he never plays. I think worst case he goes in the 2nd or 3rd round, makes a few mil on his entry contract never playing a down, and then gets a 2nd contract as a back-up for some other team looking for a dynamic athlete with potential at QB. I really see Murray as a guy who can perform well in the NFL or have a 10 year career as a back-up getting minimal playing time. I see that minimal playing time possibly being more than he ever sees in MLB, though, in terms of likelihood.

The fact of the matter is the kid is a remarkable athlete and he's already shocked the hell out of me this football season so I won't be surprised to see him figure out a way to succeed at whatever he tries. I just see the NFL career as a likely bigger pay day than the MLB career even if his rookie contract is less.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I'm not so sure. I think his likely earning potential is much greater in the NFL even if he never plays. I think worst case he goes in the 2nd or 3rd round, makes a few mil on his entry contract never playing a down, and then gets a 2nd contract as a back-up for some other team looking for a dynamic athlete with potential at QB. I really see Murray as a guy who can perform well in the NFL or have a 10 year career as a back-up getting minimal playing time. I see that minimal playing time possibly being more than he ever sees in MLB, though, in terms of likelihood.

The fact of the matter is the kid is a remarkable athlete and he's already shocked the hell out of me this football season so I won't be surprised to see him figure out a way to succeed at whatever he tries. I just see the NFL career as a likely bigger pay day than the MLB career even if his rookie contract is less.
I don’t disagree. But in the world of pro sports, especially the NFL with its low average number of years players are in the league, I’d take the biggest payday upfront. But I’m looking at it from only one lens. In other words I wouldn’t bet on a long future if it were me (well, an ultra athletic version of me) and take the money now. But I’m not in the situation (for ridiculously obvious reasons) so I can’t know what I would do if I were. The only quarterbacking I’m doing is from an armchair. But it’s on the internet so KM should listen to me.