• The KillerFrogs

If fall sports are cancelled, I don't see a way back for years.

Jackson

With this season shut down being a real possibility now.

I am now more curious than ever at our long term (or short term) destination. So the conference rights come up in what 2022? Does this action create a stronger conference/make the pac collapse or create a free for all for all schools not sec or big 10.

If this wasn't so personal it would be fascinating to watch from afar.
Seems the Big X & Pac XII have the issues. Obviously the more liberal conferences have been targeted and their players are very receptive to what they’re selling. These conferences have bigger problems than Covid!

Eight

Seems the Big X & Pac XII have the issues. Obviously the more liberal conferences have been targeted and their players are very receptive to what they’re selling. These conferences have bigger problems than Covid!

pro labor states with a more liberal stance than the south.

acc appears to follow the lead of the sec so what does the big 12 do in this matter?

AroundWorldFrog

Could just me, but these two scenarios seem very different:

- Today: Tens of thousands infected daily, no vaccine, 1 or 2 treatments approved.

Sept. 1 2021: (Likely) hundreds infected daily, vaccine rolled out to majority of planet, 3-4 treatments (included tami-flu equivalent) widely available

Don't get me wrong, this isn't my case for not playing this year, just disagreeing with the OP thesis of "we won't be back to normal for multiple years." No it seems like we are on the cusp right now, based on the evidence available.
Is it likely? Our medical community has failed at developing vaccines for lots of viruses. .

TCU_91

pro labor states with a more liberal stance than the south.

acc appears to follow the lead of the sec so what does the big 12 do in this matter?

Its sounding more like our Northern Schools are less enthusiastic about playing this season.

Thus the split.

Eight

Its sounding more like our Northern Schools are less enthusiastic about playing this season.

Thus the split.

think they are fine with playing if all their players suddenly signed that waiver, but they have no idea what to do with this group representing the players and really haven't showed any initiative working with the other conferences

Is it likely? Our medical community has failed at developing vaccines for lots of viruses. .

I can understand the skepticism, but no other major virus has had this level of investment nor has any get to a phase 3 trial with this many participants. We've got two different vaccines in phase 3 with 60,000 participants total, and another one will join them in the next 30-60 days. Note: All 3 did exactly what we wanted (antibodies, t cells, etc) in their phase 1 and 2 with minimal side effects.

Now, we don't know if they also make you grow wings, which is why they are doing these HUGE phase 3 trials, but we will know soon enough if they are safe. It's relatively clear today that we know we will have an effective vaccine, whether we will have a safe effective vaccine is what we will know by Oct-Dec of this year, then its a matter of getting it manufactured and out to the world for the elderly, then at risk, and then gen. pop. to take.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
I can understand the skepticism, but no other major virus has had this level of investment nor has any get to a phase 3 trial with this many participants. We've got two different vaccines in phase 3 with 60,000 participants total, and another one will join them in the next 30-60 days. Note: All 3 did exactly what we wanted (antibodies, t cells, etc) in their phase 1 and 2 with minimal side effects.

Now, we don't know if they also make you grow wings, which is why they are doing these HUGE phase 3 trials, but we will know soon enough if they are safe. It's relatively clear today that we know we will have an effective vaccine, whether we will have a safe effective vaccine is what we will know by Oct-Dec of this year, then its a matter of getting it manufactured and out to the world for the elderly, then at risk, and then gen. pop. to take.
Let's assume your optimism (which I pray is correct) plays out and we have a vaccine by March or May next year. What level of efficacy will the vaccine need to hit in order for this situation to resolve itself and sports to return? Right now we're assuming 100% of players and staff are at risk. What percentage of at risk players and staff are the administration willing to accept to allow season to resume? Even in years when we get the right flu shot matched with the seasonal mutation the efficacy of the vaccine is only 40-60%—and that is the best case scenario. In year's past the efficacy was below 20%. So, are the players allowed on the field if only 80% are at risk? 60%? 50%? 40%? You can almost guarantee it won't be lower than 30% any given year. So, are we then okay with allowing just a 1 in 3 chance of catching Covid?

See the problem with acquiescing at this point?

Eight

we have invested over half a trillion dollars in hiv research since 2000 so it isn't for a lack of resources or effort

TCUdirtbag

Quick note before I begin: This won't devolve into a political post. Anyone that tries to derail this with rehashing political points already well documented in The Pit will get a short vacation. The point of this thread isn't to place blame at the feet of government officials or point fingers at political parties.

-----

Now that the twitter-vine is hyping the "news" that fall sports are on the cusp of being cancelled due to "Covid concerns" I'm left thinking we're not going to see college sports return for years to come. I don't see how administrations who are concerned with a single case of infection can allow sports to return under any circumstance in the future. Even after a vaccine for COVID is available and if it wildly exceeds the efficacy of all other respiratory vaccines currently on the market, it still won't be 100% effective against the virus. In fact, I'd be surprised given the mutation rate of this virus if we see a vaccine that is even 50% effective. So, how can these administrators allow sports to return under those circumstances given the current reasoning? What scenario using the current concerns over liability would ever be considered safe for the players and staff?

I believe this is the line, right now, and we're about to cross it and destroy hundreds of thousands of young lives forever.

Strongly disagree.

TCUdirtbag

Conference and College Administrators have had since March to come up with a comprehensive plan to pull off this college football season. They failed. Bottom line.

A lot of people not on of university payrolls have had since earlier to come up with a comprehensive plan, and they failed too. Pinning blame on college administrators is dumb—they’ve been scrambling and coming up with good plans often in the complete absence of state and national leadership.

Eight

Show me a doctor or medical professional that would ever assure you of a no-risk environment.

LGPR3CM.gif