• The KillerFrogs

I’m Worried About SR

You didn’t really address my point, so let me ask you this, what do you think would have been the football smart play for SR to make there?

Run the ball for five yards and a first down.

Throw to the open man if three people are covering one receiver there has to be one open.

Try throwing for a first down to anyone on our team.

Don’t throw off his back foot he had plenty of time to throw.

Throw it away and live to fight another play or even punting isn’t that bad.

y2kFrog

So football smart to you means waisting a 3rd down by being baited into throwing into cover 3 that surprise suprise turned into triple coverage? It may not have been all the “risky” but it was most certainly not a smart football play. There is a difference between mitigated risk and calculating success..All we did was throw a pass that literally had a tiny percentage of being complete.

This was basically the same play UT ran last week for the TD to Johnson. They split the safeties for the play that turned the game.

Yesterday even though the pass was intercepted it left the ball on the 3 yard line and basically acted like a punt on third and long. The worst outcome on the play would have been an incomplete pass. I am just not getting the hate for that play.

ShreveFrog

The "hate" is partly that SR tried to throw a bomb while falling back on his back foot. Not smart.

Other part is we just needed to pick up a dang first down and keep the drive going.

I like Shawn and I look forward to him getting back and continuing to develop. Or maybe the offense gets a boost with Collins. Go Frogs!

WhiteHispanicFrog

Curmudgeon

2B886F4C-DE68-46B1-8443-11E0CC56FF06.gif

ShreveFrog

The pick on the bomb is at the 2:00 mark of these highlights:

ISU got pressure with a 3-man rush. Shawn threw deep over the middle where there were two safeties. Looks like he was looking there the whole way. I don't know if Reagor beat one-on-one coverage on the right sideline, but would think that would be a better read.

All three wideouts ran long routes. No one simply went just past the sticks to just get a first down (needing 6 yards). Sewo didn't look like much of an option in the left flat.

Frog-in-law1995

The pick on the bomb is at the 2:00 mark of these highlights:

ISU got pressure with a 3-man rush. Shawn threw deep over the middle where there were two safeties. Looks like he was looking there the whole way. I don't know if Reagor beat one-on-one coverage on the right sideline, but would think that would be a better read.

All three wideouts ran long routes. No one simply went just past the sticks to just get a first down (needing 6 yards). Sewo didn't look like much of an option in the left flat.

Davis blew by his cover man and was yards behind him and the strong safety. That was read 1 and it must’ve looked wide open to SR, who was reading the corner and SS for that route. Those defenders were so beat they didn’t even get to the underthrow in time. Shawn just never expected the FS to not bite on the play action and immediately race back into coverage. Honestly looked like the FS was playing cover 1. Can’t imagine they’ve ever run that in practice where the FS didn’t either take a step in on the play action or a step right to cover Barber (I think that was #4) on the left edge. ISU kid just sprinted deep middle immediately. Good play by him. In any event, them intercepting the ball on the 3 was a big factor in us winning the game.

Tom Brown

Well, let’s analyze “football smart.” The interception left the ball at the 3, which led to a short field on our next possession, when we kicked the game-winning FG. It was third down, so if incomplete, we were going to punt anyway. So an interception inside the 5 was better than an incompletion.

I mean, I’d rather have picked up the first, but I don’t hate throwing into coverage deep there.

Bro, you so sensible.

FrogLifeYo

This was basically the same play UT ran last week for the TD to Johnson. They split the safeties for the play that turned the game.

Yesterday even though the pass was intercepted it left the ball on the 3 yard line and basically acted like a punt on third and long. The worst outcome on the play would have been an incomplete pass. I am just not getting the hate for that play.

A couple of things....That pass to Johnson your referring to was a 1st and 20 from our 32.!much different circumstance than throwing that on 3rd down from the 43. Truthfully he didn’t split the safeties as he got man on the outside with no help over the top. With the 3 deep coverage ISU was running we knew damn well at least 2 safeties were going to be playing deep and thus waiting on a deep ball. Against TX , TCU was in man up coverage and Simmons was slow to come over to help.....Absolute Apples to Oranges..

In addition many are missing my point. We were in a 3rd and 6, late in a tie game at their 43. Points are absolutely critical in that situation and you’ve moved the ball 30 yards already on the drive. A high % play such as a square in or seem out has a MUCH better chance of keeping the drive alive. Especially given that everyone here knows with the way our defense was playing a field goal wins it. Why just hand them the ball back? They hadn’t given any inclination all night that they were going to let us get deep on them.

I have acknowledged that a deep ball interception didn’t hurt us at the 3 yard line. What many of you are missing is that it is not football smart to essentially give away a possession in a critical moment of the game.

1. Picking up 6 yards is easier. We had already converted a 3rd down on that drive with a 20 yard run by Sewo

2. What if we only got 4 and we are short of the 1st..? It’s hypothetically still 4th and 2 from ISUs 39..You Still want to punt? Why? your defense is playing great.

3. A score on that drive would have forced them to throw the ball more which wasn’t there strength and we were finally getting consistent pressure.

Play calling is absolutely important in the big picture of the game. No we didn’t put our defense in a bad spot but we also didn’t take every opportunity to seize the game. This is why it wasn’t a football smart play just looking at the risk is shortsighted

Frog-in-law1995

A couple of things....That pass to Johnson your referring to was a 1st and 20 from our 32.!much different circumstance than throwing that on 3rd down from the 43. Truthfully he didn’t split the safeties as he got man on the outside with no help over the top. With the 3 deep coverage ISU was running we knew damn well at least 2 safeties were going to be playing deep and thus waiting on a deep ball. Against TX , TCU was in man up coverage and Simmons was slow to come over to help.....Absolute Apples to Oranges..

In addition many are missing my point. We were in a 3rd and 6, late in a tie game at their 43. Points are absolutely critical in that situation and you’ve moved the ball 30 yards already on the drive. A high % play such as a square in or seem out has a MUCH better chance of keeping the drive alive. Especially given that everyone here knows with the way our defense was playing a field goal wins it. Why just hand them the ball back? They hadn’t given any inclination all night that they were going to let us get deep on them.

I have acknowledged that a deep ball interception didn’t hurt us at the 3 yard line. What many of you are missing is that it is not football smart to essentially give away a possession in a critical moment of the game.

1. Picking up 6 yards is easier. We had already converted a 3rd down on that drive with a 20 yard run by Sewo

2. What if we only got 4 and we are short of the 1st..? It’s hypothetically still 4th and 2 from ISUs 39..You Still want to punt? Why? your defense is playing great.

3. A score on that drive would have forced them to throw the ball more which wasn’t there strength and we were finally getting consistent pressure.

Play calling is absolutely important in the big picture of the game. No we didn’t put our defense in a bad spot but we also didn’t take every opportunity to seize the game. This is why it wasn’t a football smart play just looking at the risk is shortsighted

You said SR wasn’t football smart, but he didn’t call that play.

FrogLifeYo

You said SR wasn’t football smart, but he didn’t call that play.
Your right..My frustration should be with Cumbie..However I would like to think that our QB also understands when looking to another rout is a smarter decision.

Cumbie seems to not see the game in front of him. He’s simply calling the game from play to play without any foresight of the game as a whole.

He’s living paycheck to paycheck without regard to retirement.

CountryFrog

Your right..My frustration should be with Cumbie..However I would like to think that our QB also understands when looking to another rout is a smarter decision.

Cumbie seems to not see the game in front of him. He’s simply calling the game from play to play without any foresight of the game as a whole.

He’s living paycheck to paycheck without regard to retirement.
In analyzing this single play, you've now determined that the OC is incompetent for calling the play, the QB is stupid for throwing the ball where he did, and the safety is even dumber for catching the ball.

In summary, your analysis is simply that all the people involved in every aspect of this play are morons who don't possess the level of football IQ that you do. Is that correct?

FrogLifeYo

In analyzing this single play, you've now determined that the OC is incompetent for calling the play, the QB is stupid for throwing the ball where he did, and the safety is even dumber for catching the ball.

In summary, your analysis is simply that all the people involved in every aspect of this play are morons who don't possess the level of football IQ that you do. Is that correct?

I never made it about me being smarter than anyone else. I have no idea what I would have called in the heat of the game. Decision making is easy in hindsight. I take it you disagree with my assessment. That’s ok..

CountryFrog

I never made it about me being smarter than anyone else. I have no idea what I would have called in the heat of the game. Decision making is easy in hindsight. I take it you disagree with my assessment. That’s ok..
I certainly disagree with the assessment that this all happened because everyone involved is just stupid. That's a little too simplistic.

HG73

Cumbie called a good game. GP knew their QB was out and they should have trouble scoring. Conservative game plan which worked well except for two (absolutely awful) plays: SR getting the ball slapped out of his hand and the TE/hurdle/fumble. No amount of coaching would eliminate those two plays. Absolutely insanity and must drive GP and SC crazy. NOT THE COACHES FAULT. Take those two plays away and that game is never in doubt.

SR is making progress but now he's hurt on the last play. How long is he out? This team is just snake bit right now.

CountryFrog

10-4...Not sure if I used the word stupid or not but perhaps should have said shortsighted. Either way it’s over. It would appear I’ve beaten the dead horse way beyond what’s necessary
We've all beaten enough dead horses from time to time on here that PETA would have a pretty rock solid case against us.

Moose Stuff

Cumbie called a good game. GP knew their QB was out and they should have trouble scoring. Conservative game plan which worked well except for two (absolutely awful) plays: SR getting the ball slapped out of his hand and the TE/hurdle/fumble. No amount of coaching would eliminate those two plays. Absolutely insanity and must drive GP and SC crazy. NOT THE COACHES FAULT. Take those two plays away and that game is never in doubt.

SR is making progress but now he's hurt on the last play. How long is he out? This team is just snake bit right now.

3 plays...... the SR fumble, the Lynn fumble, and the 3rd and 25 missed tackle/scramble...... that was an ugly game but probably one we should have won about by at least 14 and easily could have been a shutout.

CountryFrog

3 plays...... the SR fumble, the Lynn fumble, and the 3rd and 25 missed tackle/scramble...... that was an ugly game but probably one we should have won about by at least 14 and easily could have been a shutout.
This has been the story of the last 3 weeks. 3 or 4 plays in each game where we've thrown up all over ourselves that have changed the course of the game.

Now the question is whether that's really who this team is going to be all year long or if it's just been a rough three weeks.