• The KillerFrogs

I’m Worried About SR

BABYFACE

Maybe part of this is that SC comes from the culture at Tech under Leach where it wasn’t that unusual for a Tech QB to throw 3-4 picks and 7 TD’s in a game.

FrogLifeYo

Exactly

It was triple coverage because it was easily 5 yds short of where he should have thrown it

Put it where the only person that can catch it is our WR or it’s incomplete and it would have been a man on man situation

SR not having great touch seems to the problem more than seeing the field

The decision was horrendous...It was an indication that Shawn isn’t football smart. I really like the kid and he’s a great talent but to throw a deep ball on 3rd down like that is baffling. Football smart kids understand simple things like down and distance and when and when not to take shots. Cumbie deserves some heat as well..

Frog-in-law1995

The decision was horrendous...It was an indication that Shawn isn’t football smart. I really like the kid and he’s a great talent but to throw a deep ball on 3rd down like that is baffling. Football smart kids understand simple things like down and distance and when and when not to take shots. Cumbie deserves some heat as well..

Well, let’s analyze “football smart.” The interception left the ball at the 3, which led to a short field on our next possession, when we kicked the game-winning FG. It was third down, so if incomplete, we were going to punt anyway. So an interception inside the 5 was better than an incompletion.

I mean, I’d rather have picked up the first, but I don’t hate throwing into coverage deep there.

FrogLifeYo

Well, let’s analyze “football smart.” The interception left the ball at the 3, which led to a short field on our next possession, when we kicked the game-winning FG. It was third down, so if incomplete, we were going to punt anyway. So an interception inside the 5 was better than an incompletion.

So football smart to you means waisting a 3rd down by being baited into throwing into cover 3 that surprise suprise turned into triple coverage? It may not have been all the “risky” but it was most certainly not a smart football play. There is a difference between mitigated risk and calculating success..All we did was throw a pass that literally had a tiny percentage of being complete.

flyfishingfrog

actually I don't think it was that bad of an idea...much like FIL said - it resulted in basically what we would have wanted on the next play had it feel incomplete - a change of possession inside the 5.

I think its more a matter of right now, SR is not showing this "great talent" everyone says he has based on his performance in HS.

He passing is below average - most passes are underthrown with a few just flat out overthrown. When he does hit the receiver it is rarely in stride and results in losing most of the speed the WR has generated on the route. He does thread the needle pretty well occasionally but that almost always results in a tackle as soon as the pass it caught.

His running has been ok but nothing spectacular so far. He scrambles out of trouble well and has made something from nothing a few times when our line collapses - however our designed run plays go for 3 yds a lot more than 10, which isn't common in dual threat QB's and he has to be literally the worst option QB I have ever seen. He doesn't read the defenders fast enough, isn't elusive enough to make the man focused on him miss and pitches way to late and behind the RB so that basically they have to stop to catch the pitch and they get drilled.

I so want him to be great - I want the hype to be real and for us to have a world class dual threat QB. I am just not seeing it right now and its not a matter of "growing up"

If he were making great plays and then making some real bonehead plays - that is growing up. I think the lack of spectacular plays is more a matter of lack of ability to execute than it is lack of experience.

And I hope more than anything I am so wrong it is amazing and that he proves me to be a full on idiot.

flyfishingfrog

So football smart to you means waisting a 3rd down by being baited into throwing into cover 3 that surprise suprise turned into triple coverage? It may not have been all the “risky” but it was most certainly not a smart football play. There is a difference between mitigated risk and calculating success..All we did was throw a pass that literally had a tiny percentage of being complete.
once again - go back and look at the play - the WR had a two step advantage over the deepest defender when the started the throw the ball. But the pass was way underthrown and the WR had to slow and even kind of come back a half step which allowed not only the main defender playing man but the two deep defensive backs to close the gap. If he throws that ball 3 yds deep in the end zone - no one catches it but our WR and he looks brilliant.

He just doesn't have the touch when you watch other guys like Grier or Murray...

Frog-in-law1995

You didn’t really address my point, so let me ask you this, what do you think would have been the football smart play for SR to make there?

FrogLifeYo

You didn’t really address my point, so let me ask you this, what do you think would have been the football smart play for SR to make there?

My apologies...There are literally dozens of plays that we could have picked up 6 yards on. Plays that by % would have been off the charts better options than that pass. A coaches job is to give his team the best possible means to success....and to make sure the QB understand that..I don’t buy a 40 yard bomb in to triple coverage is the putting your team in the best position to win..even if it isn’t all that risky.

I get your point on the WR being open but let’s be honest that is the exact read ISU wanted us to throw....

FrogLifeYo

For those of you thinking it....I’m well aware I’m coming off like a bad fan by being so critical of our Frogs..

A win is a win right?......except a I thought we were past the days where beating Iowa St at home on a last second FG made us feel validated. Perhaps I’m wrong but I was hoping for more..

Yes...I’m being a whiny bad fan..I accept that criticism and I’ll get over it by the end of the day..

Frog-in-law1995

My apologies...There are literally dozens of plays that we could have picked up 6 yards on. Plays that by % would have been off the charts better options than that pass. A coaches job is to give his team the best possible means to success....and to make sure the QB understand that..I don’t buy a 40 yard bomb in to triple coverage is the putting your team in the best position to win..even if it isn’t all that risky.

I get your point on the WR being open but let’s be honest that is the exact read ISU wanted us to throw....

I’m not asking what the coaches could have done differently. You said Shawn’s decision to throw that pass showed he is not football smart. I’m asking you what you think he could have done there that would have been football smart.

Westsider

For those of you thinking it....I’m well aware I’m coming off like a bad fan by being so critical of our Frogs..

A win is a win right?......except a I thought we were past the days where beating Iowa St at home on a last second FG made us feel validated. Perhaps I’m wrong but I was hoping for more..

Yes...I’m being a whiny bad fan..I accept that criticism and I’ll get over it by the end of the day..

Attaboy.

FWSTC Hfrog

actually I don't think it was that bad of an idea...much like FIL said - it resulted in basically what we would have wanted on the next play had it feel incomplete - a change of possession inside the 5.

I think its more a matter of right now, SR is not showing this "great talent" everyone says he has based on his performance in HS.

He passing is below average - most passes are underthrown with a few just flat out overthrown. When he does hit the receiver it is rarely in stride and results in losing most of the speed the WR has generated on the route. He does thread the needle pretty well occasionally but that almost always results in a tackle as soon as the pass it caught.

His running has been ok but nothing spectacular so far. He scrambles out of trouble well and has made something from nothing a few times when our line collapses - however our designed run plays go for 3 yds a lot more than 10, which isn't common in dual threat QB's and he has to be literally the worst option QB I have ever seen. He doesn't read the defenders fast enough, isn't elusive enough to make the man focused on him miss and pitches way to late and behind the RB so that basically they have to stop to catch the pitch and they get drilled.

I so want him to be great - I want the hype to be real and for us to have a world class dual threat QB. I am just not seeing it right now and its not a matter of "growing up"

If he were making great plays and then making some real bonehead plays - that is growing up. I think the lack of spectacular plays is more a matter of lack of ability to execute than it is lack of experience.

And I hope more than anything I am so wrong it is amazing and that he proves me to be a full on idiot.

Frozen Frog

I mean, I’d rather have picked up the first, but I don’t hate throwing into coverage deep there.

I suggested this in the game thread. It isn't a bad play. Take your shot. If something good happens then it is awesome. It is risky. In general I don't think you want a QB throwing an interception, but I do think this was calculated play especially for late in the game.

I have seen other teams engage in this practice. I knew one coach who put it in his game plan. He didn't have a great punter so he would often try this type of play especially in high wind. He figured the net would be better with the interception.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
I suggested this in the game thread. It isn't a bad play. Take your shot. If something good happens then it is awesome. It is risky. In general I don't think you want a QB throwing an interception, but I do think this was calculated play especially for late in the game.

I have seen other teams engage in this practice. I knew one coach who put it in his game plan. He didn't have a great punter so he would often try this type of play especially in high wind. He figured the net would be better with the interception.
No, Gary is just a complete moron. Duh.

Frog-in-law1995

Same thing led to a pick-6 in the Peach Bowl.

Paint It Purple

once again - go back and look at the play - the WR had a two step advantage over the deepest defender when the started the throw the ball. But the pass was way underthrown and the WR had to slow and even kind of come back a half step which allowed not only the main defender playing man but the two deep defensive backs to close the gap. If he throws that ball 3 yds deep in the end zone - no one catches it but our WR and he looks brilliant.

He just doesn't have the touch when you watch other guys like Grier or Murray...
Grier and Murray are both 5th year SENIORS. You were making sense up to then.