• The KillerFrogs

Hate to say it,

y2kFrog

I will save my critiques for tomorrow, except this one. But what I cannot figure out is why SR on that 4th down scramble on why he didn’t turn up the middle where had the first down with blockers? Instead, he kicked back outside. Truly puzzled by that and so was a former QB from not to long ago that sits up in my area.

He’s just trying to do too much. Turpin didn’t have anybody within 20 yards downfield as well after he escaped. He is the first QB the entirely taught under Cumbie, and he doesn’t look to be technically sound at all.

Horny 4 Life

I will save my critiques for tomorrow, except this one. But what I cannot figure out is why SR on that 4th down scramble on why he didn’t turn up the middle where had the first down with blockers? Instead, he kicked back outside. Truly puzzled by that and so was a former QB from not to long ago that sits up in my area.

I had the same question. As soon as he broke free I thought he was going to get a 1st down and much more. Even Joey Galloway had an audible reaction. Then he just keep drifting to the other sideline.

Also, it seems (without the benefit of the Eye in the Sky) that our WR's are not doing a very good job of working back to the QB on those scrambles. In the few wide angle shots I could see of several scrambles tonight it didn't look like anybody was working to the QB's side or down the field.

Pharm Frog

I had the same question. As soon as he broke free I thought he was going to get a 1st down and much more. Even Joey Galloway had an audible reaction. Then he just keep drifting to the other sideline.

Also, it seems (without the benefit of the Eye in the Sky) that our WR's are not doing a very good job of working back to the QB on those scrambles. In the few wide angle shots I could see of several scrambles tonight it didn't look like anybody was working to the QB's side or down the field.

Reagor worked back pretty well on that last drive high arching throw.

y2kFrog

We are a poorly coached dumpster fire.

4th and 1 with two time-outs, on the halfway line and down by three. There is no excuse for running anything but a straight-ahead carry except a bad snap. Sonny Cumbie must be high on something.

It is my contention that Cumbie, Meacham and the Air Raid are what I feared all along but that Boykin and Doctson's insane talent kept this from being immediately apparent.

Fire Cumbie and find some kind of Dan Mullen starter kit to run (and I do mean run) an offense dedicated to clock control and not shooting itself in the foot. If we had those two things we'd be 4-1 right now. instead we are garbage and will finish 4-8. Hooray.

We definitely don’t run the Air Raid offense. If you watch one quarter of a Washington State it will be pretty obvious.

4th. down

If your QB is sucking and can't hold on to the ball in critical situations you put in the back up just to see if he can provide a spark. That might lite a fire in Robinsons arse. What would it hurt? He couldn't do any worse than Robinson has done and he might hold on to the ball better but, we'll never know because the coaches don't have the balls to put him in!

Saban did it and it has worked out well for the Tide but we aren't the Tide.

Kliff did it with a 3rd. string QB, but then again, we are not Texas Tech.

Last edited:

CountryFrog

The QB is obviously making mistakes but what's even more depressing is that this OL can't establish any kind of running game against that garbage defense to help the QB.

I've been preaching patience the last few weeks with the offense but that's out the window after tonight. You absolutely cannot make that many mistakes at home against a defense that bad on your way to 14 points. That should've been an easy victory with the way the defense played. I don't know who is to blame but it's no one person. Players and coaches have to be better. It's probably not going to happen this year though. We're going to have to win games 14-10 or 17-13.

Mean Purple

If your QB is sucking and can't hold on to the ball in critical situations you put in the back up just to see if he can provide a spark. That might lite a fire in Robinsons arse. What would it hurt? He couldn't do any worse than Robinson has done and he might hold on to the ball better but, we'll never know because the coaches don't have the balls to put him in!
Pressure gets the qb too easily. He takes off too easy and then the decision making goes down quick. Not thought of touchdown, first down, get down. And the line can only hold up for so long on a play. It is time for another qb. GP can't keep up this "I don't coach offense" garbage. He needs to step in and do his job. Because Cumby has lost this offense.

bmoney214

OUCH!!!
Don't know if Collins is the answer to our problems but at some point we have to try something different because what we're doing on offense right now is obviously not working.

Mean Purple

He’s just trying to do too much. Turpin didn’t have anybody within 20 yards downfield as well after he escaped. He is the first QB the entirely taught under Cumbie, and he doesn’t look to be technically sound at all.
I'm not sure what it is about the qb that made people think he was going to be different than this. Mechanics are not good. Decisions on the field are not good. Any hint of pressure and clicks off the idea of going through progressions. He can run, if he is not hurt.

Frozen Frog

The offense doesn't seem to have much rhythm. The defense is playing scared to make a mistake. It doesn't look like we are developing younger players and getting them meaningful snaps. The players don't seem trust each other. We are losing the turnover battle, and the special teams isn't great. I think this team just needs to get back to playing fast in all areas. At times we need to focus on getting the first down rather than scoring.

Mean Purple

He fumbles when he runs.
yep. they all do. even turp carries the thing like a loaf a bread. how are they not coached to put the ball more up, tight and then 3 points of pressure when they get in a crowd. Heck, the qb held it so loose it came out of his hand on the last play. We rewatched that play 3 times. nobody hit his arm and he was not trying to toss it. It came out and he had to adjust back and all he could think to do was try and bat it up to the next guy.

Sad thing is, he cuts up field, and it would have been a first down,. Its like his mind just shut off.

Mean Purple

We are a lousy offensive football team. Lots of weapons but we can't seem to find a way to get the ball to them.

Scheme?? Coaching?
scheme is not great. not enough down field. too much further back in our own back field. Just makes 1st downs that much harder. substitutions are insane. we are not playing fast, so why bother. so much needs to be tightened up.

So yes, coaching. Can't stretch the opposing defense out by taking so much to the short side of the field.

TX_Krötenechse

I said it in the game thread, and I’ll say it again: the worst part of this is that we can all see the problems in the coaching, but Gary is too stubborn, too loyal, or too weak to make cuts to his staff.

Keep Luper. Let Cumbie stay as OC. Give Thomsen a few more seasons. But fire Anderson, fire Sharp, fire Burns, and hire a new wide receivers coach and a new QB coach.

Cumbie is a good recruiter and I believe he’s a good OC. He called a terrible game tonight, but overall he’s been good. But he is a bad QB coach. We haven’t had a quarterback with consistently good mechanics since Pachall in 2012. Boykin never improved his stance or throwing motion. Kenny actually got worse mechanically at TCU compared to A&M. Robinson has been under Cumbie for a year and a half and has worse footwork and pocket awareness than most high school quarterbacks.

Mean Purple

I said it in the game thread, and I’ll say it again: the worst part of this is that we can all see the problems in the coaching, but Gary is too stubborn, too loyal, or too weak to make cuts to his staff.

Keep Luper. Let Cumbie stay as OC. Give Thomsen a few more seasons. But fire Anderson, fire Sharp, fire Burns, and hire a new wide receivers coach and a new QB coach.

Cumbie is a good recruiter and I believe he’s a good OC. He called a terrible game tonight, but overall he’s been good. But he is a bad QB coach. We haven’t had a quarterback with consistently good mechanics since Pachall in 2012. Boykin never improved his stance or throwing motion. Kenny actually got worse mechanically at TCU compared to A&M. Robinson has been under Cumbie for a year and a half and has worse footwork and pocket awareness than most high school quarterbacks.
Isn't Lup coaching running backs? They have not run consistently for two years. Granted, the o line does not help, but the backs are dancing way to much. When they do hit the hole hard, we see first downs. That is, when we don't see some cutesy play called on 3rd and 1. because, you know, why not take it back 8 yards at the start of the play and hope to run 9 to get the 1?