• The KillerFrogs

Game 2: #16 TCU vs. Virginia

Pharm Frog

Janczak’s pitch count getting pretty elevated. Hoping he can get through 6 so we can have as many arms as possible against #1 tomorrow.

Well I guess he’ll get through 4 and hand 2 baserunners and no outs to the pen.

He was flirting with walks last inning. Good to go ahead and make the move regardless at this point.

CountryFrog

It isn't nearly that easy. For one thing...you have to HAVE base runners to get base runners thrown out. This means that you'd need to do all sorts of adjustments for opportunities. And. most base running sabermetrics are individualized stats and need two or three years to be predictive.
So no I guess is the answer to my question.

Which means we all just have to complain and/or defend without actually knowing whether we're any better or worse than the average college baseball team.

Pharm Frog

So no I guess is the answer to my question.

Which means we all just have to complain and/or defend without actually knowing whether we're any better or worse than the average college baseball team.

I get what you are saying but I don't think our benchmark is nearly the average college baseball team. I would suppose that we are far and away better than the average baseball team in almost all aspects of the game.

flyfishingfrog

Meh, if he wasn’t picked off the guenther grounder could’ve been an inning ending dp and it’d be 2-0 instead of 3-0.

But I know we have to [ hundin] about everything.
well since I said that before Guenther hit - sorry - I will work on my prescience...but you know the saying about if my aunt had balls?

I will take my chances on double plays if it means we stop getting picked off on first as often

CountryFrog

I get what you are saying but I don't think our benchmark is nearly the average college baseball team. I would suppose that we are far and away better than the average baseball team in almost all aspects of the game.
No doubt we are well above average in most things and that's where we want to be for everything. I was just using average as a starting point. Whether it's average D1, average power conference team, or average top 25 team. Just some type of point of comparison instead of talking in circles about "we're bad, it's not a big deal, yes it is, stop complaining, etc..."

For all the metrics that baseball has I'm surprised there isn't something that could be used. Percentage of runners who get picked off or something.

flyfishingfrog

It is nice to have a middle infield that seems so comfortable turning the double play - seems like we got a good deal getting both those guys to come to campus together.

Pharm Frog

No doubt we are well above average in most things and that's where we want to be for everything. I was just using average as a starting point. Whether it's average D1, average power conference team, or average top 25 team. Just some type of point of comparison instead of talking in circles about "we're bad, it's not a big deal, yes it is, stop complaining, etc..."

For all the metrics that baseball has I'm surprised there isn't something that could be used. Percentage of runners who get picked off or something.

I don't know anyone who compiles these type of stats but we'd need to look at UBR and wSB for each player over the course of a season (maybe take out wGDP) to come up with a modified BsR, add them up for the team, and then do the same for all teams in the cohort and compare. Maybe somebody is doing this but I don't know who it would be OR how reliable the data would be. Picked off is recorded as caught stealing so not sure we'd get accurate data for comparisons. Where is Duquesne Frog when you need him?

flyfishingfrog

Interesting that we are not going to us this opportunity to give someone as shot at being a "closer" even if its not a save situation - wonder if that means the Coaches have their man and want to make sure we don't need him tomorrow?

Guess we ended up getting Perez up and throwing so we get to see a first glimpse of our future closer hopefully

Last edited:

Moose Stuff

I don't know anyone who compiles these type of stats but we'd need to look at UBR and wSB for each player over the course of a season (maybe take out wGDP) to come up with a modified BsR, add them up for the team, and then do the same for all teams in the cohort and compare. Maybe somebody is doing this but I don't know who it would be OR how reliable the data would be. Picked off is recorded as caught stealing so not sure we'd get accurate data for comparisons. Where is Duquesne Frog when you need him?

This all sounds awful.