• The KillerFrogs

Game 2: #16 TCU vs. Virginia

Armadillo

I think we’re being awfully hard on a team that’s mostly newcomers in the early innings of gsme 2 in an opening weekend tournament against some of the best programs in the country.

I respect you Dirt, but I think you're wrong. But I am happy we are up 3-0 (as I'm type this another baserunner thrown out on a steal) and love your GDT's. Just a difference of opinion.

Go Frogs! We both agree on that.

TCUdirtbag

It wasn't getting picked off base paths that got us there. It was good pitching and clutch hitting. I'm not calling for someone's head, but if you can't have a discussion about the ridiculous nature of repeatedly losing players at third base, then what's the point of having a discussion board?

Discuss coaching choices and patterns, fine.

I have 2 issues with this stupid, endless debate:
1. If you demand the context of patterns over time, you have to be intellectually honest in that discussion and include the context of results too.
2. Criticizing these players or this year’s team full of newcomers based off 4 hours of baseball and what happened in previous years is just laughable. You don’t have a sample you can draw any valid conclusions from.

Punter1

It is February 16. Both players that have been picked off are in there first 2 games at this level. Let’s give it a few weeks before losing our [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] over everything and digging our heels in and declaring this season hopeless.

Dont remember declaring anything hopeless...but I agree I'm digging in my heels on our idiotic baserunning.

And a 15 year old back up JV player knows not to get picked off in that situation. Or his 1st base coach does. Jeez...its not rocket science. Surprised you're actually not pissed as well...like the rest of us...

Froggy Style

We didn't need that base runner anyway.
Dirtbag says don't say anything darn it!
Discuss coaching choices and patterns, fine.

I have 2 issues with this stupid, endless debate:
1. If you demand the context of patterns over time, you have to be intellectually honest in that discussion and include the context of results too.
2. Criticizing these players or this year’s team full of newcomers based off 4 hours of baseball and what happened in previous years is just laughable. You don’t have a sample you can draw any valid conclusions from.
Fair enough. Iove our coach and our players. I think that without bad baserunning that I don't blame ANY players for, we would be a better team. That may mean champions rather than final four. Who knows.

TCUdirtbag

I respect you Dirt, but I think you're wrong. But I am happy we are up 3-0 (as I'm type this another baserunner thrown out on a steal) and love your GDT's. Just a difference of opinion.

Go Frogs! We both agree on that.

It’s funny - I think there’s a good argument to back up the perspective that there have been issues with our coaching/strategy on the basepaths over multiple seasons. I just can’t stand poorly made arguments.

If pat is prologue then we’ll have more than a reasonable share of baserunning blunders rhis year. But let’s get to March before we lose our minds.

We’re winning. Can we just enjoy a 4-0 lead?

Punter1

Dirtbag says don't say anything darn it!

Fair enough. Iove our coach and our players. I think that without bad baserunning that I don't blame ANY players for, we would be a better team. That may mean champions rather than final four. Who knows.

I agree...its the one part outta 20 that I HATE about our team. And mostly because it's a mental error in my opinion not a physical one. Getting picked off, repeatedly, and making pour choices trying to take 3rd are hallmarks of poorly coached and disciplined teams.

Armadillo

I do believe that last year we gave up a number of outs on the base paths thru poor baserunning. That was a
It’s funny - I think there’s a good argument to back up the perspective that there have been issues with our coaching/strategy on the basepaths over multiple seasons. I just can’t stand poorly made arguments.

I agree with you 100%. And I agree it's tough to draw conclusions on 14 innings of baseball when there hundreds of innings ahead of us. That's baseball.

But these first 2 games the Frogs have made some base running mistakes. And it's just a spill over from last year. I agree with everyone's frustration. And I bet you can understand it too.

But I also agree with you that the season is young and too early to jump to conclusions.

Sorry for any typos. On the phone typing this.

Pharm Frog

On the base running thing:
  1. Most of us either only or almost only watch TCU baseball when it comes to watching the college game. This makes us far more sensitive to our shortcomings than if we were generalists. Other teams have poor base running too. We just don't see those teams 50-60 (hopefully) times each year.
  2. To deny that we cannot improve greatly in this aspect of the game is patently absurd and I haven't heard anyone make that denial.
  3. It cannot simply be "on the players" -- players have come and gone and yet Okie Lite continues to pick us off and we continue to get hosed at 3B.
  4. While we can look at historical results and say that we can't be all that bad....we shouldn't have to overcome that much self-inflicted harm in a game that is notorious for the smallest margin for errors.
  5. And as Dirtbag has said...it's an endless debate. A debate that would greatly diminish in intensity and frequency if we just played a little smarter on the base paths.
  6. And while I've been typing this...we've had quite a few base runners running across home plate which is a very nice thing to see...make that "hear"

CountryFrog

I'm not a baseball expert, FAR from it. But it does seem silly to continuously harp on any little perceived weakness given the huge success of the program in recent years.

That being said, I also don't know enough to say that the base running is NOT a problem. Does anyone have any actual data over the last five years showing the average number of base runners who get thrown out in D1 and what the Frogs' average is? We all know that getting thrown out on the bases isn't good, but I also know that mistakes at the college level (errors, walks, HBP, etc) are all higher than the pros. So do we know how we compare to other programs in that category?

TCUdirtbag

On the base running thing:
  1. Most of us either only or almost only watch TCU baseball when it comes to watching the college game. This makes us far more sensitive to our shortcomings than if we were generalists. Other teams have poor base running too. We just don't see those teams 50-60 (hopefully) times each year

Agree with this a lot. I’m guessing most of us watch/listen to TCU and the opponents TCU is playing. So 50-60 TCU games and 1-4 of our opponents’. After that we’re mostly watching either MLB or our kids. To take your point a little further, I think we sometimes tend to expect near-MLB type play out of TCU without admitting how far it is from the Luptons to the Wrigleys (for players and coaches).

Pharm Frog

I'm not a baseball expert, FAR from it. But it does seem silly to continuously harp on any little perceived weakness given the huge success of the program in recent years.

That being said, I also don't know enough to say that the base running is NOT a problem. Does anyone have any actual data over the last five years showing the average number of base runners who get thrown out in D1 and what the Frogs' average is? We all know that getting thrown out on the bases isn't good, but I also know that mistakes at the college level (errors, walks, HBP, etc) are all higher than the pros. So do we know how we compare to other programs in that category?

It isn't nearly that easy. For one thing...you have to HAVE base runners to get base runners thrown out. This means that you'd need to do all sorts of adjustments for opportunities. And. most base running sabermetrics are individualized stats and need two or three years to be predictive.

TCUdirtbag

Janczak’s pitch count getting pretty elevated. Hoping he can get through 6 so we can have as many arms as possible against #1 tomorrow.

Well I guess he’ll get through 4 and hand 2 baserunners and no outs to the pen.