• The KillerFrogs

FWST: A day after being let go, Gary Patterson shows up to work for TCU football

Moose Stuff

Its because he knows that staff can't put together a game plan by themselves. So, in GP like fashion, he is going in to make sure they have something to help get ready for Baylor because otherwise we are about to get the bleep stomped out of us by one of our biggest rivals.
So you’ve watched our games this year and determined that Gary helping with this week’s game plan will prevent a Baylor curb stomping this weekend? Because I’ve watched the games all year and thought the exact opposite.

Moose Stuff

Or maybe he was extremely hurt and mad, had a night with Kelsey to calm him down some and think things over. This was his baby for 20 years, it’s not totally surprising to me. You get divorced, you may not want to see your wife, but you don’t want to ignore your kids.
Doesn’t make it any less bizarre. Storm out one day and show back up the next. In what other job could that possibly be considered normal behavior???

SackLunch

So you’ve watched our games this year and determined that Gary helping with this week’s game plan will prevent a Baylor curb stomping this weekend? Because I’ve watched the games all year and thought the exact opposite.
No not prevent it just hopefully slow it down a little.

We need to turn the page. The era and the season is already over with. He stepped down he should be around. If he wants to help out he needs to do it from home on zoom where the media cant see. It is a bad look that he is still around the program. We need to waive the white flag and focus on retaining the good players we have.... Cough Cough Zach Evans. We need to be doing everything in our power to keep him.

Wexahu

If he wants to be some sort of informal senior advisor for this week or for the next few weeks, that's fine with me. We need all the help we can get in the next four games. He's not the head coach anymore and we've apparently started the hiring process for his replacement, but he's certainly welcome on the premises in just about any other capacity. I don't think this is troubling in any way and certainly not "bizarre." It's indicative of his loyalty, which is one of his strongest attributes.
I don't think it's a big deal and maybe the story is being misrepresented a bit, but again, why not just agree to coach the rest of the year? That would be the loyal thing to do, no?

Moose Stuff

I don't think it's a big deal and maybe the story is being misrepresented a bit, but again, why not just agree to coach the rest of the year? That would be the loyal thing to do, no?
I don’t think it’s a big deal either. I simply observed that’s it’s typical odd behavior from Gary. Normal people would have either accepted to stay on and coach the last 4 games or stormed out and not looked back. They wouldn’t have stormed out and then showed back up the next day.

bronco

I would think GP coming in and just cleaning out his office would have been extremely distracting. Think about the scenes of Tom Landry (although that was not during the season). I hope yesterday and the rest of the week is as normal as possible not a funeral wake. Hopefully he gets a chance to talk to players and gets a chance to say good bye and maybe even encourage them to stick around. Especially Evans.

2:35 Saturday would be a good time to clean out the office (not saying he should be there every day).

Diehard

Gotta say I'm with the Moose on this one. But I'll go one step further...it's not just bizarre. It's unacceptable behavior. If you wanted to coach the rest of the season, the opportunity was there. If you did not wish to do that, well....that's your choice. There is no hybrid situation. If you had been doing your job as HEAD coach, the assistants that remain should be more than capable of finalizing and executing on the game plan...or changing it if they desire. That said, I wouldn't have expected anything other than this.
I don't know. I left a good job years ago over a substantial disagreement. It was not very amicable, but I did stay on for a few weeks to ease the transition. Have to admit it seemed odd to everyone, but I guess each situation just has it's own circumstance.

SackLunch

I don’t think it’s a big deal either. I simply observed that’s it’s typical odd behavior from Gary. Normal people would have either accepted to stay on and coach the last 4 games or stormed out and not looked back. They wouldn’t have stormed out and then showed back up the next day.
Maybe if this keeps getting weirder and weirder we will get a good 30 for 30 out of it.

Wexahu

We need to turn the page. The era and the season is already over with. He stepped down he should be around. If he wants to help out he needs to do it from home on zoom where the media cant see. It is a bad look that he is still around the program. We need to waive the white flag and focus on retaining the good players we have.... Cough Cough Zach Evans. We need to be doing everything in our power to keep him.
Evans is gone after next year anyway and we are going to have a year of rebuilding after this one. Unless he is willing to buy into EVERYTHING the new coach is selling, best he move on.

This isn't fantasy football. He's a part-time player anyway, it continues to amaze me how people think he is so important to our "success."

Moose Stuff

hanging out with friends.

storming out of the office.

Where are quoting this from?
Have you been under a rock? His staff is made up almost entirely of his friends (undeniable fact) and when offered the chance to coach the last 4 games he basically told the admins to off and walked out (I haven’t seen one representation of what happened that says anything other than that occurred).

Moose Stuff

I don't know. I left a good job years ago over a substantial disagreement. It was not very amicable, but I did stay on for a few weeks to ease the transition. Have to admit it seemed odd to everyone, but I guess each situation just has it's own circumstance.
Did you storm out of the office when they gave you the news and then randomly show back up the next day?

Evans is gone after next year anyway and we are going to have a year of rebuilding after this one. Unless he is willing to buy into EVERYTHING the new coach is selling, best he move on.

This isn't fantasy football. He's a part-time player anyway, it continues to amaze me how people think he is so important to our "success."
Well he is the only way we moved the ball this year if you watch the game. if we go get a big time coach he will stay.