• The KillerFrogs

Fire Joe Gillespie

JugbandFrog

Agreed. It is one thing to not have film on your opponent and therefore have a challenge planning for what they do. It is quite another to know your opponent has game film on you, and not add some wrinkles. It seems we did nothing but run our base D as a gift for them the majority of the game.

Team looked extremely unprepared.
We had film from his kent state days. That speed option they scored a td on is not new.

Strat Frog

Business majors, do you hear the possible sound of silence? 1,000 Ft. Worth related merchants, retailers, restaurants and hotels fear to hear it—the silence of dollars and credit card transactions that could occur if TCU football doesn’t perform on the road ahead or reverts. It’s only one game, so let’s not get crazy, but municipal and local dollar pressure for the Fort can help influence change ultimately if things are not corrected…. A lesser crowd expected now next week? Sure, and now less revenue for people who bank on TCU dollars. Fewer flights, fewer Ubers, fewer drinks, fewer tips, fewer Drover guests, etc.? If UH and SMU don’t turn out well for us, expect even less income for our local businesses, which is what makes our fair FtW and the economy go round. This is a business after all…

LVH

Our last 12 games.

45 vs Colorado
65 vs Georgia
45 vs Michigan after getting up big
31 vs Kansas State
Game vs a point shaver
28 vs a bad Baylor team
10 vs Texas (Geez how bad is Ewers) - to be fair this was probably his best game as DC
24 vs Tech (ok)
31 vs a horrendous WV
28 vs Kansas State
40 vs a very poor Oklahoma State team
31 vs Kansas

This is not good at all. What a saw us doing today doesn’t have a prayer for success for a number of reasons. I was willing to give him a pass in 2022 but he had a whole off season to address deficiencies. What I saw today total absolute garbage defense.
My biggest gripe at the time we hired Dykes is that his teams have always been poor defensively, going all the way back to Louisiana Tech and then Cal and then SMU. I remember his 2012 LA Tech team losing 58-56 to Texas A&M for example.

I told everyone when the hire was made that this is what we are going to get, winning by outscoring teams instead of stopping them.

Personally I'd rather be a good defensive team than a good offensive team like we were in the GP glory days, but football in 2023 is different than it was in 2008. I am not sure if its possible to win anymore with a lockdown defense and an offense that gets the job done anymore like our 2010 Rose Bowl team, so its about finding the best balance between offense and defense

tetonfrog

Personally I'd rather be a good defensive team than a good offensive team like we were in the GP glory days, but football in 2023 is different than it was in 2008. I am not sure if its possible to win anymore with a lockdown defense and an offense that gets the job done anymore like our 2010 Rose Bowl team, so its about finding the best balance between offense and defense
Personally, I'd like to have a good offense and defense. You'd think a coach who makes as much as CSD does could deliver that.

TooColdU

i thought it looked like TCU was the team that had never played a game together not the other way around.
Last year very little pressure on the qb and pass in the flat were the 2 areas that we need to improve upon. Didn't happen in game 1.
Morris looked goed on intermediate range passes and over the middle. the 2 ints - one was a terrible read and pass the other was a great play by Hunter but the pass was thrown late..

could've, would've, should've

let's hope last year was not only lightning in a bottle.

go frogs beat the rest
Imagine if Morris didn't get hurt vs Colorado last year.

Bizarro Frog

Odd thing is his defense seems to work well against the run but horrible against the pass. Seems like it would be opposite. Not sure in any universe just rushing 3 against the pass on almost every attempt would be effective.

Bizarro Frog

The last 3 games we have given up 155 points. His scheme does not appear to work unless you have 3 first rounders on the line. Insanity to think you can cover for 10+ seconds even with 8 people dropping back. They have 5 in the pattern and there are just guys running free almost every play. There were players guarding empty spaces of the field while CU players were wide open.

Needs to be fixed quick or we will be in a track meet trying to score 60 a game just to have a chance to win.

phrynosoma

Ticket Exchange Pass
Business majors, do you hear the possible sound of silence? 1,000 Ft. Worth related merchants, retailers, restaurants and hotels fear to hear it—the silence of dollars and credit card transactions that could occur if TCU football doesn’t perform on the road ahead or reverts. It’s only one game, so let’s not get crazy, but municipal and local dollar pressure for the Fort can help influence change ultimately if things are not corrected…. A lesser crowd expected now next week? Sure, and now less revenue for people who bank on TCU dollars. Fewer flights, fewer Ubers, fewer drinks, fewer tips, fewer Drover guests, etc.? If UH and SMU don’t turn out well for us, expect even less income for our local businesses, which is what makes our fair FtW and the economy go round. This is a business after all…
THIS

hfhmilkman

A comment about defenses in the modern world of football. All defenses providing not exotic can work. They will have a strength and they will have weakness. The key is can you be multiple. This is hard in college football because you are limited by practice time and have younger players who have to also put time into class.

A lot of the defenses we see today are in response to spread, air raid, and speed-in-space. Spread and speed-in-space are simple and easy to implement. Air raid requires more work. A 3-3-5 and 4-2-5 is the logical solution verses the three most popular offensive sets I observe today. To my untrained amateur eye, CU looked speed-in-space.

A lot of what I saw was one team playing their bowl game and another just not ready for the intensity the other team brought. One team was crisp and the other team was generating a penalty every 5th play. I thought that after the 2nd half TCU would make adjustments and win going away. That did not happen. If anything the YAC failures instead of turning into 1st downs turned into TD's.

I concur not only were there no in game adjustments but that there did not appear to be strategic changes to throw a curve ball at the CU offense. That all said if Max Duggan were the QB, TCU wins 49 to 42 and no one cases what the defense did.