• The KillerFrogs

Fire Joe Gillespie

CountryFrog

Do you know how hard it is to prepare for a team that you don’t have an identity for? It’s freaking impossible. And if Colorado has enough ammo to go all game to keep you guessing, you won’t look good. The only thing you can do as a defense is ATTEMPT to stop them. You can’t PREPARE to. Defense is much harder to play against an unknown than an offense is. All of y’all who have never coached a down of football who are providing suggestions on a man’s livelihood need to chill out.
There's definitely some truth to this. But man what happened out there today was so freaking bad there's no way you can let the coaches totally off the hook for this one.

Now that said, I'm also not of the opinion that JG needs to immediately be fired. He's sitting on a pretty hot seat right now though.

Chongo94

There's definitely some truth to this. But man what happened out there today was so freaking bad there's no way you can let the coaches totally off the hook for this one.

Now that said, I'm also not of the opinion that JG needs to immediately be fired. He's sitting on a pretty hot seat right now though.
Good take. This is where I am. Not sure I have enough patience though.

Frogs1983

Do you know how hard it is to prepare for a team that you don’t have an identity for? It’s freaking impossible. And if Colorado has enough ammo to go all game to keep you guessing, you won’t look good. The only thing you can do as a defense is ATTEMPT to stop them. You can’t PREPARE to. Defense is much harder to play against an unknown than an offense is. All of y’all who have never coached a down of football who are providing suggestions on a man’s livelihood need to chill out.
Yes, let's blame it on the ol " hard to prepare" excuse! Same damn D performance today ad last season. No QB pressure, DB's not looking at the ball, so on and so on. They had time to prepare last season and played the same exact way for most of the season. D was a huge liability last year. Looks like even a bigger one this year!

I am not sold on this 3-5 scheme. Sorry, I ain't buying the Gillespie as DC Kool aid!

CountryFrog

My biggest concern with the defense is a lack of identity. I have no idea what it is that we're really good at that we can lean on. Coming in I thought it was the corners but they repeatedly came up short in situations where they needed to make a play on the ball.

It's still just one game of course. There's time to get some of this corrected but this opening act after what we saw last year doesn't have me super confident. If we see this same type of stuff against Houston and SMU then I'll be fully on the fire JG train too but I'm not quite there yet.

CountryFrog

excellent question.

unfortunately there was no real way to tell, as your DC had them playing 8-12 yards off the ball until the very end of the game. i didn't understand that. you can't just give receivers a free release off the line every play all game.
This was my biggest gripe too other than the lack of pressure. Their receivers didn't seem very big so more physicality at the line to throw off the timing of the offense seemed like the way to go.

Chongo94

Pass happy teams are gonna absolutely LOVE playing us this year it seems…they’re just gonna eat this defense up.
Nintendo Eating GIF