• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 in position to poach Pac 12 schools?

FrogAbroad

Here's my question. If BigXII adds, say, Zags and UConn for hoops, and then we add possibly 2 or more from PAC all sports, are we getting too many mouths to feed?
Hopefully there's someone in the loop asking that question...but...then again... Whatever, it's a legit concern.

Endless Purple

Here's my question. If BigXII adds, say, Zags and UConn for hoops, and then we add possibly 2 or more from PAC all sports, are we getting too many mouths to feed?
Maybe. I've heard a few times the new media contract has a clause for increases to match payout for P5 school additions. Not heard that about Gonzaga or UConn. Hopefully they would only be getting a share related to their sport.

The rest would be how well the conference maintains each schools space (ie. no WAC issues).

82 Frog Fever

Do you think this is too many mouths to feed?
It’s definitely a question that must be answered, as it’s entirely possible.
The 4 corners + OSU & UConn extends the conference coast to coast in all 4 time zones, which has been a goal BY has spoken of many times.
It also gives the B12 a good start at creating a 2nd vertical revenue stream with a separate basketball negotiation

ASU. — TCU. — ISU
UA. — BU. — UH
Col. — TT. — Cincy
UU. — OkieL. — UCF
OSU. — KU. — WV
BYU. — KSU. — UConn

Gonzaga

Dman890

Do you think this is too many mouths to feed?
It’s definitely a question that must be answered, as it’s entirely possible.
The 4 corners + OSU & UConn extends the conference coast to coast in all 4 time zones, which has been a goal BY has spoken of many times.
It also gives the B12 a good start at creating a 2nd vertical revenue stream with a separate basketball negotiation

ASU. — TCU. — ISU
UA. — BU. — UH
Col. — TT. — Cincy
UU. — OkieL. — UCF
OSU. — KU. — WV
BYU. — KSU. — UConn

Gonzaga
They aren’t going to add any schools that don’t pay for themselves. I still think trying to incrementally get more for basketball is an interesting strategy to make up ground on big 10/sec but it’s such a tough needle to thread bc basketball only additions dilute the football brand.

Dogfrog

They aren’t going to add any schools that don’t pay for themselves. I still think trying to incrementally get more for basketball is an interesting strategy to make up ground on big 10/sec but it’s such a tough needle to thread bc basketball only additions dilute the football brand.
Wouldn't basketball-only additions share only basketball related revenue?

Limey Frog

Wouldn't basketball-only additions share only basketball related revenue?
Yes. They'll crunch the numbers. No one is going to vote for losing money.

I'm not really that bothered about the basketball side, but 16 teams for all sports including the four corner schools, and 18-20 in basketball including Gonzaga, U Conn, and (say) Crieghton and Villanova could be pretty cool.

82 Frog Fever

Yes. They'll crunch the numbers. No one is going to vote for losing money.

I'm not really that bothered about the basketball side, but 16 teams for all sports including the four corner schools, and 18-20 in basketball including Gonzaga, U Conn, and (say) Crieghton and Villanova could be pretty cool.
Pretty cool?
ASU — OSU
UA — UH
UU — KU
Co — KSU
BYU — Iowa St
TCU — Cincy
TT — UCF
BU — WV

Gonzaga
UConn
Creighton
Villanova

ShreveFrog

I guess the better way to word my question, as y’all are alluding to, is do all four corners add value? Especially considering 4 we’re already bringing on?

Limey Frog

I guess the better way to word my question, as y’all are alluding to, is do all four corners add value? Especially considering 4 we’re already bringing on?
I think so. They're not Alabama, but neither is anyone already in the league. I think they would solidify the Big 12 as the conference of top to bottom middleweights. That's a lot better than some of the situations TCU has been in since 1995.

HG73

Don't worry, the TV suits are telling BY exactly what each team is worth. Who wouldn't want UCONN and Gonzalez after the basketball is split off? Like adding Ohio State and Clemson to your football conference.

Frozen Frog

The Pac was a great conference with USC and UCLA. It is now average. I get the desire to be tied to Stanford. I also fully understand that being in 2 time zones beats 3 and maybe 4 for a lot of schools. The problem is the Big Ten is still out there looking for the right fit. Also The SEC may try to expand to compete with the Big Ten. Some of these schools might want to look around and ask themselves are we better off in a weaker Pac or in a strong Big 12. If Utah and ASU say no to the Big 12 who isn't to say the Big 12 doesn't go after a combination of Stanford/Washington/Oregon? If Gonzaga is coming for basketball and some other sports it might be nice for them to have a travel partner.

Also if the ACC is in as much trouble is the rumor mill is starting to suggest the Big 12 may have some better options sooner rather than later. There are schools in the ACC that draw a lot better than almost all of the Pac.

As for the Pac adding SMU and SDSU that is just stupid. SDSU and some of the other larger western schools may make some sense for geographical purposes. The problem is I don't think it adds much to the conference. It is almost like a redo of the WAC to the Mountain West. SMU makes no sense in that conference. I think SMU and Rice would be very well served by trying to leverage themselves as ACC schools. I think that is a better cultural fit long term for schools.

Supposedly if Notre Dame has to join a conference they are contracted to the ACC. It seems like the armor is starting to take some hits so who knows if that still exists. If the Big Ten wanted to destroy Notre Dame they could do it tomorrow. Adding Stanford would immediately create issues for the Notre Dame schedule. Notre Dame values that West Coast game. They also value playing in FL and a game in the Northeast. I also look at the CFP, and even with expansion I am not sure it is going to be an easier route for Notre Dame. The conference champions host rule does create an issue.