• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 in position to poach Pac 12 schools?

TCU Vagabond

@Gary's Shirtless Revenge

Can you elaborate on if there is any legitimacy to these rumors? The PAC 12 seems to be in a really bad position right now as it seems their choice to go to the open market has completely backfired

Attachments

• 782A2AE3-E34A-452D-A741-B01D12CEC6B0.jpeg
    782A2AE3-E34A-452D-A741-B01D12CEC6B0.jpeg
    582.6 KB · Views: 184
  • 1E137A64-BFE8-4F92-A9AB-2996BE0291BE.jpeg
    1E137A64-BFE8-4F92-A9AB-2996BE0291BE.jpeg
    381.3 KB · Views: 167
  • D01FC281-E6EA-42EA-9D99-7AB5726E589C.jpeg
    D01FC281-E6EA-42EA-9D99-7AB5726E589C.jpeg
    498.7 KB · Views: 166
@Gary's Shirtless Revenge

Can you elaborate on if there is any legitimacy to these rumors? The PAC 12 seems to be in a really bad position right now as it seems their choice to go to the open market has completely backfired
The Big 12 is in that position, yes, waiting patiently. There would be a lot of things to work out, and the number of schools joining would be key I think (and who), but always remember the university presidents and chancellor’s make this decision. Do they want to jump to the Big 12? Plenty of people think no, even if they leave “some” money on the table. Also, if ESPN won’t pay the PAC 12 good money for their rights, will they pay effectively more to have a few of those schools in the Big 12? If not, how do all those schools make the math work.

It’s complicated, but everyone is keeping options on the table. As I’ve said all along, status quo is still the most likely outcome given the friction of change.

TCUdirtbag

The Big 12 is in that position, yes, waiting patiently. There would be a lot of things to work out, and the number of schools joining would be key I think (and who), but always remember the university presidents and chancellor’s make this decision. Do they want to jump to the Big 12? Plenty of people think no, even if they leave “some” money on the table. Also, if ESPN won’t pay the PAC 12 good money for their rights, will they pay effectively more to have a few of those schools in the Big 12? If not, how do all those schools make the math work.

It’s complicated, but everyone is keeping options on the table. As I’ve said all along, status quo is still the most likely outcome given the friction of change.
None of this happens in a vacuum, of course, and you can’t go back. But I wish the Big 12 had grabbed BYU and Cinci and held on UH and UCF. Said it at the time. Would make things much more interesting right now. (But would we even be here? Maybe not. So oh well.)

TCU Vagabond

Thank you for the insight

Do you think if the PAC 12s best offer is say $25m/year per school that all of the schools would stay?

It feels like it’s a domino effect where if 2 schools leave, 2-4 more schools are almost assured to follow them

West Coast Johnny

The Big 12 is a funner league than the Pac 12. People across the country actually watch our league. Non one in the pac 12 footprint even cares about college sports. The Pac 12 is going to be on google or amazon or some other streaming service. The current itteration of the big 12 is way better than the Pac 12.

I would extend invitations to Utah, Colorado, Arizon and Arizona State.

Bizarro Frog

I hope the expanded playoff stabilizes college football. If PAC 12 schools want to join BIG 12 I would be happy with that or if they don’t then okay with that as well. College football needs conferences and quality teams on the West Coast. It’s a shame USC and UCLA left before the expansion was finalized. I enjoy sitting on the back porch late on a Saturday night watching PAC 12 football. I liked it even better when they scored more points like the BIG 12.

puckster59

Do you think if the PAC 12s best offer is say $25m/year per school that all of the schools would stay?

It feels like it’s a domino effect where if 2 schools leave, 2-4 more schools are almost assured to follow them
I’m not “in the know” but it seems all parties are in wait and see mode on whether the Big Ten poaches more from the PAC 12. If Washington and Oregon leave, are others (Utah) more receptive to the Big 12?

None of this happens in a vacuum, of course, and you can’t go back. But I wish the Big 12 had grabbed BYU and Cinci and held on UH and UCF. Said it at the time. Would make things much more interesting right now. (But would we even be here? Maybe not. So oh well.)
Ehh, I’m pretty bullish on Houston’s potential. They’ve got so many things working for them. UCF was clearly the reach, but you can’t argue with the value and potential of the market which could drive long term performance. The strategy at the time was, “If we can’t compete in value, we’ll out compete them on the field/court.” Hard to do that with no presence in the #2 football state.

The likelihood their best offer is $25mm is practically zero. That would only happen in an uneven distribution scenario for some of the lower value schools.

TCU Vagabond

The likelihood their best offer is $25mm is practically zero. That would only happen in an uneven distribution scenario for some of the lower value schools.
So are you saying that $25m is too low or too high a projection? I assumed you meant too low, but that last sentence confused me a little. Are you saying the lower value schools would get $25m in that sentence?

What do you think is a good guess at annual payout per school for them if it’s not $25m?

Last edited:

McFroggin

Ehh, I’m pretty bullish on Houston’s potential. They’ve got so many things working for them. UCF was clearly the reach, but you can’t argue with the value and potential of the market which could drive long term performance. The strategy at the time was, “If we can’t compete in value, we’ll out compete them on the field/court.” Hard to do that with no presence in the #2 football state.

Oddly enough I think UH has more academic potential than athletic potential. Like us they have added a medical school. Their law school is probably top 2 in the state for value with UT. They already have a good business/entrepreneur program.

Their renovated football stadium is lipstick on a pig. Concessions are poorly done. Their attendance pre-Big12 is low.

Basketball is doing well. Their renovation quality wise was good, but they should have added many more seats. UH fans get disappointed and drop off easily though, so after a year of losses in the Big12 and maybe their demand sinks.

If they can raise academic standards and gentrify the area around the stadium, it could become a neat place.

ticketfrog123

BYU and UCF were the two strongest candidates

UH dead last of the 4. Cincy not much better (most of their “fans” root for Ohio state)

Oddly enough I think UH has more academic potential than athletic potential. Like us they have added a medical school. Their law school is probably top 2 in the state for value with UT. They already have a good business/entrepreneur program.

Their renovated football stadium is lipstick on a pig. Concessions are poorly done. Their attendance pre-Big12 is low.

Basketball is doing well. Their renovation quality wise was good, but they should have added many more seats. UH fans get disappointed and drop off easily though, so after a year of losses in the Big12 and maybe their demand sinks.

If they can raise academic standards and gentrify the area around the stadium, it could become a neat place.

Pretty sure the football stadium was a complete rebuild. Robertson was completely demoslished,, as I recall.