• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 in position to poach Pac 12 schools?

Goo

None of this happens in a vacuum, of course, and you can’t go back. But I wish the Big 12 had grabbed BYU and Cinci and held on UH and UCF. Said it at the time. Would make things much more interesting right now. (But would we even be here? Maybe not. So oh well.)

Stanford/Colorado
or
Houston/UCF

Pretty easy choice. Wish we waited

tmcats

cu and uofa seem close to closure. just waiting for p12 media rights to give them an excuse.

uconn has always made sense to me. basketball blue blood, joining ku. natural rivals for wvu and 'nati. not long ago played in major bowl games.

a case can be made for san diego state as the fourth. again, solid hoops. california, makes a coast2coast conference. spanking new stadium. unpretentious.

HG73

cu and uofa seem close to closure. just waiting for p12 media rights to give them an excuse.

uconn has always made sense to me. basketball blue blood, joining ku. natural rivals for wvu and 'nati. not long ago played in major bowl games.

a case can be made for san diego state as the fourth. again, solid hoops. california, makes a coast2coast conference. spanking new stadium. unpretentious.
No more G5 teams. We have more than enough already.

If we take UConn basketball do we have to take their football?

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Then there is this that I will believe when I see it…

Gotta be true anytime someone named for one of the Three Stooges speaks.

Frog Attack II

Here's a free association, but what about Syracuse? Very good basketball; avg football, can't be super happy with ACC and of BY wants a coast to coast experience, you have the NE now. May not be additive per se but it's a P5.

I’m assuming the $100m from the OUT exit isn’t included in that figure???
If it’s not included, I wonder if we ever hear how those funds were used.
Correct.

The $100 million from TXOU is actually $80mm as Fox is getting $20mm as compensation for lost games, and the remaining $80 is going to be split I believe between FY24 and FY25. FY24 it’ll be through a reduced distribution, and FY25 it’ll be through addtl rights payments from ESPN making the Big 12 whole.

82 Frog Fever

We aren’t taking UConn in all sports. It’s just part of the overall negotiation strategy. SDSU is also not on the table. Y’all need to stop worrying.
I would agree with that.
The B12 has -0- interest in SDSU and BY‘s visit to UConn was just exploratory.

I don’t see how UConn works for either party.
- Yormark is exploring possibilities for getting UConn Bball out of the BigE, but it would cost UConn a $30m exit fee & they’d have to give up regional BigE ties.
Not worth it to UConn.
- UConn football is terrible. They are losing money at a $50m/yr. avg.
The B12 has no interest here.

Limey Frog

More conflicting reports, as we've had for months. As usual, involving Canzano putting out Pac 12 office talking points that on minimal close inspection amount to desperate spin. Timing suggests they're panicking...

Deep Purple

I know more than anyone does but its really exhausting being the smartest person in the room all the time on every subject.

Did someone call me?

Looking Let Me Think GIF by TipsyElves.com

Deep Purple

Their leadership really doesn't want to leave the Pac, for the same elitist sense of self-worth that is driving the bus in Salt Lake City (if you're in a club that has Stanford in it, you can tell yourself that you're basically the president of Stanford).

(For whatever little my suspicions, based on my zero personal "in the know" sources, are worth: I think the leadership at Colorado and Arizona sees the impossibility of continuing their athletic departments at the current level on the revenue the Pac is likely to end up with, and they see enough value in the Big 12 to make a jump that they would ideally not have to make. I think the leadership at Utah and ASU sees the same thing in the Pac's probable TV revenue situation but when they look at the Big 12 all they see is "not Stanford" re: off-field prestige. It is impossible to overstate how much "prestige" functions as the primary currency of exchange in the world of higher ed.

Utah also really, really hates BYU and they're clearly sick to their stomach at the idea of asking to join a club that already had those guys in.

I suspect that if CU and Zona jump, Oregon and UW will be able to leverage the "we need a safe haven, you're not killing the Pac because it already died on its own" narrative into a Big Ten invite and ASU/Utah will have no choice. But that's a lot of ifs and I'm sure leadership in Arizona is very hesitant to make that gamble.)

While growing up in the UK, I imagine you saw kind of conference maneuvering and shenanigans among Oxford, Cambridge, Edinburgh, London, Bristol, and Glasgow. The world is such a small place.