• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 in position to poach Pac 12 schools?

CountryFrog

conference office retention? why would the conference office need 50M?
It sounds like a big number but when you think about all the salaries and travel expenses from everyone in the conference office plus all of the game officials/umpires, as well as venue costs for conference tournaments and then a marketing budget as well then I'm guessing that all adds up to many millions.

I have no educated idea what that 50 million is for though. I'm just thinking of things off the top of my head.

conference office retention? why would the conference office need 50M?
I'm probably overstating the gap a bit (working from memory here) but in general you've got rent, salaries for the Big 12 staff (more people than you think), lots of money for lawyers and accountants, they do also pay for some of the championship events and things so those costs need to be reimbursed, plus usually some money held in reserve for future or contingent liabilities.

I agree in general with your point, conference office bloat is getting out of hand. I suggested to BY that this could be a way he increases member distributions. He didn't love it.

froginmn

I'm probably overstating the gap a bit (working from memory here) but in general you've got rent, salaries for the Big 12 staff (more people than you think), lots of money for lawyers and accountants, they do also pay for some of the championship events and things so those costs need to be reimbursed, plus usually some money held in reserve for future or contingent liabilities.

I agree in general with your point, conference office bloat is getting out of hand. I suggested to BY that this could be a way he increases member distributions. He didn't love it.
By the way I think it's awesome to have someone so connected on our board and I appreciate your many contributions.

Eight

appreciate the info gsr, but all you had to say was lawyers and there was the answer

Limey Frog

What’s the ASU problem?
Their leadership really doesn't want to leave the Pac, for the same elitist sense of self-worth that is driving the bus in Salt Lake City (if you're in a club that has Stanford in it, you can tell yourself that you're basically the president of Stanford).

(For whatever little my suspicions, based on my zero personal "in the know" sources, are worth: I think the leadership at Colorado and Arizona sees the impossibility of continuing their athletic departments at the current level on the revenue the Pac is likely to end up with, and they see enough value in the Big 12 to make a jump that they would ideally not have to make. I think the leadership at Utah and ASU sees the same thing in the Pac's probable TV revenue situation but when they look at the Big 12 all they see is "not Stanford" re: off-field prestige. It is impossible to overstate how much "prestige" functions as the primary currency of exchange in the world of higher ed.

Utah also really, really hates BYU and they're clearly sick to their stomach at the idea of asking to join a club that already had those guys in.

I suspect that if CU and Zona jump, Oregon and UW will be able to leverage the "we need a safe haven, you're not killing the Pac because it already died on its own" narrative into a Big Ten invite and ASU/Utah will have no choice. But that's a lot of ifs and I'm sure leadership in Arizona is very hesitant to make that gamble.)

Last edited: