• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 Expansion Thread

Planks

Cincinnati is the best choice, but the more I look in to Colorado State the more I like them.

-A state that borders two existing Big 12 members
-A fast growing state and area
-An hour away from Denver, which would be the best media market prize possible in this round of expansion
-A new $250 million dollar stadium on the way

If the Big 12 is looking to add the best media markets in neighboring states, Cincinnati and Colorado State are probably the best adds.

Big12Fan

Dogfrog said:
So Clay Travis has just figured out that college football is a money grab? So ESPN, SEC, B1G, UT can turn college football into a financial every man for himself but B12 can't? Stupid.
Is that all you got from the Clay Travis article?

LSU Game Attendee

HoustonVeer said:
Should Houston beat OU on September 3 in front of 70K fans at NRG and millions on ABC, bolting Houston into the Top 10 . . . and then the Big 12 snubs Houston?

The Big 12 would look like idiots. 

You better pray OU wins that game handily.  If it's competitive in front of a sold out crowd (or if Houston wins), it's checkmate.

SWC proved too many intrastate schools is a non-starter.  You need to slow down and focus your hope on three things:
  • Baylor is punted to be the AAC's problem
  • Floyd Wilson's checks keep clearing
  • Tom Herman remains thrilled to work in the garden spot that is the Third Ward (cue an outrageous comp to USC in Compton)

Tcupurplefaith

Planks said:
Cincinnati is the best choice, but the more I look in to Colorado State the more I like them.

-A state that borders two existing Big 12 members
-A fast growing state and area
-An hour away from Denver, which would be the best media market prize possible in this round of expansion
-A new $250 million dollar stadium on the way

If the Big 12 is looking to add the best media markets in neighboring states, Cincinnati and Colorado State are probably the best adds.

Legal marijuana. Bring em in

f_399

Baylor, Texas, TTech... hates that TCU was invited. I think they were pushed into it when A&M left.

I think it will be the same for UH. Doesn't mean either school was not worthy of the invite but more so the current members not wanting them in.

UH gets in if Baylor is kicked out or leaves.

Big12Fan

f_399 said:
Baylor, Texas, TTech... hates that TCU was invited. I think they were pushed into it when A&M left.

I think it will be the same for UH. Doesn't mean either school was not worthy of the invite but more so the current members not wanting them in.

UH gets in if Baylor is kicked out or leaves.
TCU was a GREAT admission to the Big12. The fear mongering of TCU was pathethic. I feel the fear mongering of UH is pathetic. I think Houston would be a great admission to the Big12. I think they could come in and compete at a very high level.

If Big 12 can't (by making the rounds and giving a try) and convince other power conference teams to move to Big 12 like AZ/ASU or Colorado, even Notre Dame, or...Then, when I look at expansion I think about the future of how people will consume their sports.

I think people consume nationally now with streaming. Because of that Big 12 needs national names that will draw attention to the Big 12 and BYU is a true national program. People know what the "Y" is and means. If some of these streaming packages you will be paying for is bundled with other Big 12 games you want that large fanbase, that huge mormon following to buy those packages. UT vs. BYU, OU vs. BYU, old rivals TCU vs. BYU is something people will definitely buy or tune into. BYU fan base also travel very well, so full stadiums when they play your team. Looks good on TV and brings forth excitement to watch.

I also think of potential to become a huge fan base (for attendance and streaming interest) and other opportunities like recruiting areas and good markets. Which is why I think UCF would be great catch. I really like UCF. They already have a good following (see below attendance in G5) and they have the potential to have an SEC type fanbase in which once they are in a power conference they will become crazy fans like those southeast fans. Yes they will have to mature in the conference but they have the recruiting area to do so. They grew up on that SEC craze following just as TCU has strong followers who grew up on the SWC maybe started as UT/A&M fans but now the strongest TCU supporters. UCF has the potential as a huge huge public university to be like on of the large flagship Florida universities. They definitely can be as big as Miami. Location is huge with Orlando being a tourist area (home of Disney World) and a top TV market (people like watching the tube). They have a medical school and are a well respected research university.

UCF attendance has been pretty good over the years. University of Texas doesn't mind playing them in their stadium (UT went to Orlando in 2007 and almost lost, score was 35-32, and that was a 10-3 UT team, attendance almost 50,000 for that game) which is huge in the decision (would OU/UT feel ok to play in their stadium and location? Most programs have upgraded stadiums but location is not where OU/UT fans want to go - they want to go to Orlando).

[SIZE=9pt]Season[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Average Attendance[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8.5pt]30,065[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=8.5pt]37,978[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=8.5pt]42,084[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=8.5pt]34,608[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=8.5pt]34,283[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=8.5pt]39,376[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=8.5pt]38,078[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=8.5pt]39,596[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=8.5pt]44,018[/SIZE]​

I like Memphis with its FedEx relationship. Big 12 needs partners which I think is a big positive for that program.

Houston is attractive in most everything, but has some conflicts being another team in Texas and would hurt Houston recruiting for some of the current Big 12 members. 

Colorado State is interesting. Worried about interest in that location. But I think they would be a good get.

UConn is far but they are in ESPN territory which gives more exposure...maybe...I would pass on them.

Something is wrong with Cincinnati. I just don't get a good feeling about the potential...fan interest or future fan interest. Which hurts when talks about streaming. Do UT and OU want to go up there? I think they have the least potential out of the bunch.  

Boise State has history but it is far. Academically bad. Does UT/OU want to go up there. However what they have is that national brand now that BYU has that is great for matchups and streaming options. They do have a crazy super fanbase. Location and amount of people in that location isn't attractive.

Northern Illinois is an option. I like them better than Cinci. I think they have more potential than Cinci. They have new facilities coming. Close to 300 miles away from Ames, that would be the natural rival for the Huskies. More than that, it gets the interest of Chicago. NIU is part of the #3 ranked Chicago, Illinois DMA, which consists of 3,475,220 TV Homes. An air-wave broadcast from Chicago reaches over 10 million people. More than 300,000 alumni in Chicago.
13118951_1017657851655312_42732710685544802_n.jpg

My first expansion go around and my mind can change:

If expand by two I would go with BYU and UCF

If expand by four I would go with BYU, CSU, Memphis, UCF (but I'm not out of the thinking BYU, Northern Illinois, Memphis/Cinci, and maybe one of Houston/UCF/CSU/Cinci/Memphis - mind will change as we go possibly)

And nothing is perfect because really if Big 12 could they wouldn't expand until they could attract other P5 schools to join when the conference has had years to grow a good reputation and talks of good TV deals. But that is now changed.

LSU Game Attendee

I think TT was nuked by a combo of Craig James, TCU's improved recruiting profile, and Baylor's rapeosity.  UT's drop was self inflicted as it stuck with Mack a few years too long.  

A UH swap for Baylor banishment wouldn't have the "big time football" dilution threat TCU's promotion posed.  The net number of top tier football schools would be the same. 

f_399

If you are going to the Florida market, hit it hard, pull in 2 teams from that state.

1 of them beat Baylor, forget which directional Florida team it was.

Boomhauer

If forced, give me BYU and CSU. No to commuter schools like Cincy, Memphis, USF, and UCF. Might be willing to make a commuter exception for UH in the event Baylor is kicked out. But otherwise 5 Texas schools is too many.

CountryFrog

Frogcrates said:
For everyone pitching BYU, how does the fact that Bronco is gone figure into the equation?
Every school loses their coach at some point and it can happen at any moment. The current head coach can't really be a factor unless he's a known rape enabler.

Flying T

Tier 1
I'd take UNM ahead of CSU anytime. UNM delivers an entire state and has better hoops and baseball. UNM is an easy win in football and yet they could gain in respectability over time with a P5 cash infusion. UNM would be a great project flagship university for the Big 12 and they are a perfect peer/rivalry game for texas tceh.

CSU is competing with CU, the Broncos, and Rockies etc etc.

Froglaw

It is a simple matter of money.

What team brings the most TV's and filled seats to the table?

East is better than west.

South is better than north.

A Non-Texas Team is better than UH.

UCF sounds like the best alternative.  Pretty much has all of Orlando area to itself.

Memphis is the best of the rest.  Central location (FEDEX is there for a reason) and not a bad city for a long weekend.

BYU - ex-wife and I don't want her back a 3rd time.

BSU - In the middle of the great white frozen tundra with nothing else to contribute.  Baseball season starts on April 15.

Cincy - a bail out alternative if Baylor converts into a Monastery/Nunnery.

USF - too far south to be noticed.

CSU - another pick if all goes to the crapper - way too far from WVU and Mountain time zone games suk.

Northern Illinois - Big potential but the third or fourth choice for viewing in a bar on State Street.

I truly believe the Big 12 needs to pick UCF and Memphis and "grow them up".

ACC did it with UConn and Duke football.

No reason that both of those schools cannot become the next "TCU". 

Imagine what the Frogs would have become in 2005 if given Big 12 money.

Horned Toad

If the Big 12 adds two, for me it is CSU and BYU. Colorado is contiguous with Kansas and Oklahoma and just north west of Texas. Utah is contiguous with Colorado so now there is a natural land bridge that makes geographic sense and ties them both in physically with the conference. CSU is a large state school and BYU is one of the largest private schools with a huge national following. The way BYU always filled our stadium with their fan base was always impressive and should be a key criteria in the discussion. Both have or will soon have great stadiums to play in and support from alumni and students and are an easily drivable road trip for every fan base in the Big 12, except for WV. Both are great places to visit and don't have that "commuter" school image that so many of you seem to be worried about. Hands down these two schools make the most sense and would be the best addition to the Big 12. Unfortunately for WV, their inclusion in the Big 12 creates a dilemma that everyone feels we must get some teams closer to them so they will have the antiquated concept of a "travel partner". Getting WV a travel partner is not the reason to select any team for expansion. This all should play out like a major league draft. You take the best teams possible first no matter what, and those two teams are BYU and CSU for the reasons I listed above. Next, if you decide to take additional teams you consider the next level of candidates to round out your options and that may be Cincy and Memphis at that point but providing travel partners for a single team should not be the first priority in the expansion discussion.