• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 Expansion Thread

pastorfrog

Don't turn every other thread into an expansion thread. Here is your one stop shop for all the reasons we don't want BYU.

Add news, tweets, opinion and rumors. Let's keep it all contained to this thread.

My choice? BYU and Boise football only. Cincy and Memphis full members.

FedEx sponsors the title game at a ridiculous price. New members come in on to cheap. Grant of Rights extended.

Purpletoad

I've read three articles this morning.  Each one discusses $,championship game, etc. and point to ACC getting a network.  But, none focus on the extension of Grant of Rights.  To me, the grant of rights extension by ACC is the proverbial straw that broke the camels back.  It makes Big 12 dead man walking without doing the same.  There are 8 - Big 12 teams with very uncertain futures if we don't extend.  Makes for an easy vote...  Right???

LVH

Football only is garbage lower tier conferences do. If we are expanding it needs to be full membership. No reason to say no to BYU's basketball program which is strong, and they are always Top 10 in basketball attendance year in and year out. 

I don't really care who gets added as long as its not Houston. They bring nothing to the table. 

If expansion is to 12, Cincy and Memphis/UCONN should be the teams. If its to 14, add BYU and Colorado State.

ms19

West
Texas
TCU
Baylor
Tech
BYU
CSU

East
Ou
OSU
WVU
Ksu
Ku
ISU

Doesn't help WVU much with travel but if they don't like it... We have rivalries with all of these schools. And I like west!

Decent balance. People will point to a TX OU rematch. But it would be several months between games and I think great for the conference.

If Texas leaves (add Boise) and if OU leaves (add Cinci). Of course that is worst case. Pac12 would be best!

f_399

BYU and Colorado should come in as a pair from the west.

and/or

Maybe 2 Florida schools as a pair from the east?

Do you think if they go to either coast they stick strictly to that region? Preventing long trips from opposite end?

LVH

f_399 said:
Do you think if they go to either coast they stick strictly to that region? Preventing long trips from opposite coasts?
This might be one of the most overblown things there is.

First of all, how often would these two teams play in football? Basketball? Texas A&M in a 14 team league still hasn't played a few teams from the SEC east and they are in Season 5. 

When the teams do play, so the team has to sit on a plane for an extra hour. The horror. It's not like traveling from Provo to Tampa is a 3 day excursion that needs the help of a Sherpa. 

LVH

im4thefrogs said:
I'd love to know more about the viability of the BYU and Boise "football only" chances.  

Zero. Why would you say no to their basketball programs. Both are strong. 

Limey Frog

pastorfrog said:
My choice? BYU and Boise football only. Cincy and Memphis full members.

I've said many times that I like round-robin, hate title games/rematches, and like the geographically concentrated nature of our league. If I could, I'd just reset all of college football to about 1980 minus the flagrant cheating (the not-so-flagrant cheating we have today is much better).

BUT... if we MUST expand, I think this is the best option too. Keeps reasonable amount of geographic unity to the group of full members; adds two new fan bases in two fairly populous states; adds two schools with possibility for success in multiple sports; adds compelling football games with proven programs in the west without the headache of sending tennis teams to Idaho.

The question would be whether people in Austin will let their beloved Longhorns share a conference with Johnny-come-lately gimmick-turf trash like Boise. I'd love it--we had some great games with the Broncos. We'll see...

f_399

ms19 said:
East
Texas
TCU
Baylor
Tech
BYU
CSU

West
Ou
OSU
WVU
Ksu
Ku
ISU

Doesn't help WVU much with travel but if they don't like it... We have rivalries with all of these schools. And I like west!

Decent balance. People will point to a TX OU rematch. But it would be several months between games and I think great for the conference.

If Texas leaves (add Boise) and if OU leaves (add Cinci). Of course that is worst case. Pac12 would be best!

Do you have your east and west flipped?

GoFrog Yourself

LVH said:

But besides Football what does Boise offer? Maybe a potato sponsorship? If they're being seriously considered I'd hope its football only, plus with Peterson gone are they even that good anymore?

Limey Frog

The best line-up in PastorFrog's scenario for me would be:

West-Four Texas schools, Boise & BYU, K-State.

East--KU, WVU, Cincy, Memphis, two Okie schools, ISU.

One annual guaranteed cross-over series, obviously Red River Shootout, Kansas schools, etc.

I just still have a hard time imagining OU and Texas signing on to play annual football games with some of these guys. Oklahoma playing Memphis every year?

SuperBarrFrog

I'm not big on houston, but this guy makes some nice arguments (in the link) and really like his north south diviions. Worth a glance.

http://collegefootballnews.com/2016/big-12-expansion-schools

Here’s what I’ve done by bringing on Cincinnati, Houston, South Florida and UCF.

1. I’ve created one hell of a Big 14 South: Baylor, Houston, Texas, TCU, Texas Tech, UCF and USF.
2. The Big 14 North makes perfect sense: Cincinnati, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and West Virginia.
3. You want rivalry games, TV people? UCF vs. USF. Cincinnati vs. West Virginia. Oklahoma vs. Oklahoma State. Kansas vs. Kansas State. All the Texas teams in one division. Over time, these showdowns will grow in status.
4. You want fans? I don’t care about the commuter aspect – lots of students means lots of alumni meaning lots of potential interest. The four schools I’m bringing in adds close to 200,000 students into the equation and an alumni base of millions. You want to go big? Here you go.
5. I’ve done just about as well as I can do with the TV markets getting a piece of Houston, Orlando, Tampa and Cincinnati.
6. I’ve expanded into the top recruiting areas. There will always be competition, but now the Big 14 has a base in the heart of Florida, parts of Ohio, and gets stronger in the Houston area. Boom.

Ray Finkle

Colorado State is the only one that makes a lot of sense to me as a quality institution and geographically. Colorado is growing every year (largely due to California transplants). They are getting a new stadium and Fort Collins is a great college town.

A lot of the other institutions people mention on here are the definition of a commuter school. No thank you.

It's been brought up before but if you could get the two Arizona schools, that would be a major coup.

In a perfect world, Nebraska would come back and we could add Colorado State.

melloyelo7

LVH said:

GoFrog Yourself said:
But besides Football what does Boise offer? Maybe a potato sponsorship? If they're being seriously considered I'd hope its football only, plus with Peterson gone are they even that good anymore?

And BYU's No Sunday rule hurts BXII scheduling for all other sports as well.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
im4thefrogs said:

And BYU's No Sunday rule hurts BXII scheduling for all other sports as well.
Just tell BYU you are in, knowing they forfeit any games they don't show up for, Sunday included.

They had their head "Speak to The Lord guy" approve black players in the 70's, I'm sure he could get a Sunday exemption too...