• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 Expansion Thread

StigFrog

BYU instigated the slow death of the WAC. They left the MWC when their football team was getting kicked around by TCU and they knew Boise would do the same. Those holier-than-thous can wander the desert of football independence for 40 years. BYU HELL NO!  

frog-hat

What exactly does the current TV deal say regarding expansion?  

I have read that it guarantees a pro-rata increase in the current payout per team.  In other words, adding 2 teams is a 20% increase, 4 is a 40% increase, no matter who the teams are.  Then the Big XII can split up the revenue increase however they want by phasing in the new teams share of this increase.  

i have always found that hard to believe; but is that actually correct.

frog-hat said:
What exactly does the current TV deal say regarding expansion?  

I have read that it guarantees a pro-rata increase in the current payout per team.  In other words, adding 2 teams is a 20% increase, 4 is a 40% increase, no matter who the teams are.  Then the Big XII can split up the revenue increase however they want by phasing in the new teams share of this increase.  

i have always found that hard to believe; but is that actually correct.

It has been said by Big 12 officials that that is exactly what the TV contract says.

Most likely, I would imagine we are going to renegotiate our TV contract when/if we add new teams, so it's probably moot but still an interesting discussion topic.

USNFROG

I like Memphis. The town is great and it's in SEC country. The basketball program is good. The football team could pull in a good coach and good recruits if they're in the big12.

micahjh

This is likely going to be the straw that broke the camels back on the entire GOR market for college sports. Cable is dying and ESPN is paying outrageous sums for rights based on a model that is crumbling underneath them. Now the BigXII is going to force even more funny money out of them, for virtually no increased return for these new teams, who will be non factors in terms of ratings regardless of who they are.

The BigXII has to do it though, really should have done it a few years back when they could have gotten Louisville and maybe another decent option back east. But in a lot of ways its probably too little too late, and will not do much for the long term stability of the league. The ground has shifted in a seismic way, and our league is trying to squeeze the last bit of juice from a dying vine.

I wonder if this move will force ESPN to try and bring UT to the negotiation table regarding the LHN? ESPN is losing big $ with LHN, and now will be losing big $ with the entire league. It will now be more desirable than ever for ESPN to try morph the LHN into a BigXII network to do something positive for ratings. Good luck with that though, Mickey Mouse.  

Anyway you slice it, there are really not a lot of positives for the BigXII in any of this. Sure its more money, but how sustainable is it? Not at all. What does it do for the leagues brand? Nothing good. How forward thinking is it in terms of where the sports media industry is headed? Completely behind the curve. Short term gain, long term loss.

ms19

Don't do 14. Forces UT and OU to play teams that will make them want to leave. 8 conf games. OU add Nebraska and TX add Ark. Only way it sustains.

LVH

GoFrog Yourself said:
But besides Football what does Boise offer? Maybe a potato sponsorship? If they're being seriously considered I'd hope its football only, plus with Peterson gone are they even that good anymore?

Football and Men's  Basketball are the only two sports that matter in expansion.

f_399

The Main said:
can somebody explain the big deal with FedEx?  
Their CEO said FedEx will sponsor the Big 12 championship game and will be a part of the Memphis negotiations.

FedEx's HQ is in Memphis.

Ray Finkle

GoFrog Yourself said:
FEDEX money

SMU has money.  I don't see us chomping at the bit to bring them in.

What is everyone's fascination with Memphis?  Their basketball program had a run back in 2007-2008 but was coached by the biggest sleazeball in college basketball, John Calipari.  These wins were VACATED.  They had to cheat to be relevant.  Sound like anyone else we know?

They had a couple of great years of football but as already mentioned on here, Fuente is gone, so now what? 

Oh, and lest we forget Memphis is a commuter school. 

LVH

im4thefrogs said:

And BYU's No Sunday rule hurts BXII scheduling for all other sports as well.

What does it matter? The Big 12 doesn't play games on Sundays in the only 2 sports that matter, Football and Men's Basketball.

I know WBB plays some Women's games for TV reasons, but BYU women's basketball can just not play on Sundays. Problem solved.

BYU has been doing THU-FRI-SAT baseball series and it works fine for them, and baseball matters about as much as Water Polo in terms of conference expansion.

What other sports play on Sundays? This is overblown, big time.

BYU is always near the top of the Director's Cup standings, why say no to their athletic department as a whole.

Big Frog II

I do like the idea of having 12 members and then going back to 8 conference games.  Right now we are beating each other up week after week while the SEC and ACC pad their records with 4 non conference games.  

Latest posts