• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 Expansion Thread

GP's Step-Son

Tio Rana said:
This is likely going to be the straw that broke the camels back on the entire GOR market for college sports. Cable is dying and ESPN is paying outrageous sums for rights based on a model that is crumbling underneath them. Now the BigXII is going to force even more funny money out of them, for virtually no increased return for these new teams, who will be non factors in terms of ratings regardless of who they are.

The BigXII has to do it though, really should have done it a few years back when they could have gotten Louisville and maybe another decent option back east. But in a lot of ways its probably too little too late, and will not do much for the long term stability of the league. The ground has shifted in a seismic way, and our league is trying to squeeze the last bit of juice from a dying vine.

I wonder if this move will force ESPN to try and bring UT to the negotiation table regarding the LHN? ESPN is losing big $ with LHN, and now will be losing big $ with the entire league. It will now be more desirable than ever for ESPN to try morph the LHN into a BigXII network to do something positive for ratings. Good luck with that though, Mickey Mouse.  

Anyway you slice it, there are really not a lot of positives for the BigXII in any of this. Sure its more money, but how sustainable is it? Not at all. What does it do for the leagues brand? Nothing good. How forward thinking is it in terms of where the sports media industry is headed? Completely behind the curve. Short term gain, long term loss.

This made me sad.  

If we do 2 east and 2 west the conference would cover 3 time zones and 2/3 of the country, it becomes impossible to cover all the games by the eastern newspaper deadlines.  The Pac-12 has complained about this because the east coast poll voters never see their games.  I think we need to stick to  2 time zones and look at the eyeballs in front of the televisions because that is what matters to the advertisers, ESPN,  Fox and ABC.  

GoFrog Yourself

Stables Bartender said:
If we do 2 east and 2 west the conference would cover 3 time zones and 2/3 of the country, it becomes impossible to cover all the games by the eastern newspaper deadlines.  The Pac-12 has complained about this because the east coast poll voters never see their games.  I think we need to stick to  2 time zones and look at the eyeballs in front of the televisions because that is what matters to the advertisers, ESPN,  Fox and ABC.  
Poll voters don't matter anymore with the new rankings. If the committee truly watches all the games as they claim then it won't matter when or where we play

SeniorFrog

StigFrog said:
BYU instigated the slow death of the WAC. They left the MWC when their football team was getting kicked around by TCU and they knew Boise would do the same. Those holier-than-thous can wander the desert of football independence for 40 years. BYU HELL NO!  
Can they take Baylor with them?

f_399

How about we don't go west of Lubbock?

Take 2 Florida schools, I dont mind a trip to Florida and you keep an in state rivalry game.

+ 1 more, rivalry game for West Virginia?

SeniorFrog

f_399 said:

Take 2 Florida schools, I dont mind a trip to Florida and you keep an in state rivalry game.

So the 2 Florida schools, Cincy(for WVU), and Memphis - FedEx - SEC recruiting country.

Brog

f_399 said:

I'd a hell of a lot rather go west than east anyday.  Academically, Colorado State ranks in the upper divisions all the time, they're getting a brand new stadium, they're definitely NOT a commuter school and they're at least average in football and basketball most of the time.  And seems to me the Sunday business with BYU could be worked out.  Lord knows we "work out" many other issues all the time.

Flying T

Tier 1
Gary Parrish ‏@GaryParrishCBS 14h14 hours ago

Ill say this about @Big12Conference expansion: FWIW, the wealthy people connected to Memphis are VERY confident.

talor

G Mother Froggen P said:
Colorado, Nebraska, Mizzou, Arkansas
Kansas City Chiefs, Tennessee Titans, New Orleans Saints, and Denver Broncos!  They would be tough to beat but would really increase the money for the conference.

jake102

pastorfrog said:
Don't turn every other thread into an expansion thread. Here is your one stop shop for all the reasons we don't want BYU.

Add news, tweets, opinion and rumors. Let's keep it all contained to this thread.

Just wanted to say thank you for starting this thread. We need to adopt the meta-thread concept more often to avoid sifting through multiple threads on the same things. 

If we are taking two schools, I'm probably on board with Cincy and Houston (I know everyone hates this opinion). I could certainly be convinced on Memphis though. 

BYU only if they agree to all conditions set by Big 12. I like Colorado State as well. 

USNFROG

I don't like the idea of going west mainly because I think WVU is good for the conference and they are the most poachable team if the ACC wanted to poach them.  I like the Idea of Cincy to get our foot in the door in Ohio and Memphis to get our foot in the door in SEC country.

Dman890

I hope we have conversations with the Arizona schools, Nebraska, Colorado and Mizzou.  Depending upon revenue agreements I could see any of those schools being interested - especially Nebraska with their god awful home schedule in the Big 10 West.

In my opinion if we add a commuter school we are a dead conference walking.  I cannot see UT/OU wanting to be in a conference with a commuter school.

SeniorFrog

Kirk Bohls ‏@kbohls  49s49 seconds ago

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby tells me "the idea of (new teams) playing in the fall in 2017 is probably not realistic."

Kirk Bohls ‏@kbohls  2m2 minutes ago

Bowlsby says "most institutions would want to give (at least) a year's notice" before leaving their conferences.

Bowlsby added that the Big 12 presidents discussed the Longhorn Network "openly and frankly." Declined to say if Texas made any concessions.

Asked how many potential expansion schools he's heard from since Big 12 announcement of exploration, Bowlsby said, "Several."